Honda NC700

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Re: Honda NC700

Post by maddiedog »

I'd love to take that X and put a huge shield like I have on my PCX there, with some panniers.

I thought the S had no storage?
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

maddiedog wrote:I thought the S had no storage?
Both the S and the X have dummy tanks with storage inside.
The Integra has no dummy tank and almost no onboard storage.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

One of the reasons I am ge. tting one is tbe storage. Can not wait till August :-)
Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Scottish »

If I had the money I'd get an NC700 right now!
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

Scottish wrote:If I had the money I'd get an NC700 right now!
X or S for you?

You know that storage is at least 20 litres in size! My Kriega us10 fits on back seat and no need to remove it when lifting seat. I normally use a 30L roll bag when i go away to France for 5/6 days so am really pleased wont need no hard luggage or roll bag anymore :)
Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Scottish »

Probably the X but I'd be happy with the S except with maybe a slightly bigger shield, oh and with Dual clutch !
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

Funny that the DCT option was what first attracted me to the bike but after riding the manual it did not really matter anymore as with all that torque you just dont need to change gear much at all around town.
Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Scottish »

Have you considered the BMW G650GS ? looks sort of similar to the X but slightly cheaper, doesnt have that tank storage space tho..
Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Scottish »

Actually if you add the ABS option the BMW is more expensive....nice bike tho!
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

Looks a bit wierd to me especially if you look at it from the front side. Has got a low seat height though which is a good thing for many riders.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

There are serious quality control issues with those BMWs and they look utterly ridiculous with that stupid beak sticking out the front.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

On the NC700 forum there is a post where people state what bike they have come from and one guy writes
"BMW G650GS. Changed because I wanted a bike that started...... "
GN2 has a point
Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Scottish »

Oh well I like 'em :D ......as for quality this is what MCN had to say
"Despite a few well-publicised quality control concerns, BMW has retained its reputation for reliability and there’s nothing to indicate the G650GS won’t live up to it. It’s worth noting that six-time Paris Dakar legend Simon Pavey used a single F650 engine – the predecessor to the G650GS’ - in two of the gruelling rallies. Production has switched from Austria’s Rotax to a factory in China to save cost, but BMW is adamant that quality and tolerances have not been compromised."

No doubt gn2 will provide relevant documentation to suggest otherwise :?

I see the ABS is an option also for the honda so the BMW is cheaper afterall, if i was spending that amount on a new bike its a tough call which i'd go for, the NC700 does look nice and has a little more storage but the BMW is slightly cheaper and could take you off roading if you felt like it.
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

Scottish wrote:Oh well I like 'em :D ......as for quality this is what MCN had to say
"Despite a few well-publicised quality control concerns, BMW has retained its reputation for reliability and there’s nothing to indicate the G650GS won’t live up to it. It’s worth noting that six-time Paris Dakar legend Simon Pavey used a single F650 engine – the predecessor to the G650GS’ - in two of the gruelling rallies. Production has switched from Austria’s Rotax to a factory in China to save cost, but BMW is adamant that quality and tolerances have not been compromised."

No doubt gn2 will provide relevant documentation to suggest otherwise :?

I see the ABS is an option also for the honda so the BMW is cheaper afterall, if i was spending that amount on a new bike its a tough call which i'd go for, the NC700 does look nice and has a little more storage but the BMW is slightly cheaper and could take you off roading if you felt like it.
In UK ABS is standard on the Honda. MCN state a lot of jargon sometimes so i would not take too much notice of what they say.
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

So I see there is a member on the NC700 forum with a lowered X that brings the seat height to same as the S naked bike. Also they now have a finance plan that makes the payments on the X just 7 quid more per month than on the S. When test riding the X wind resistance was good compared to the S at speeds over 75ish and the X gets up to 90 and over a bit quicker due to fairing which also helps mpg at higher speeds of course. Lowering kit is only 90 quid fitted and drops seat by 40mm. Have asked the person who owns the lowered bike to measure ground clearance for me.
I would like to hear your views regarding the lowered bike. Do you think it looks odd or not much difference to unlowered bike? Note the angles the pics were taken vary a bit

This is the X in black which i like

and here is the X lowered (the screen and rear carrier are extra)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Lowering an X should be very straightforward, just swap the relevant front and rear suspension components over with the S.
What you don't want is a rear only lowering job with the potentially longer forks of the X retained.
If the X forks are longer and are dropped in the yokes, does the resulting wheelbase change correspond to the wheelbase of the S or does the S also have different yokes and different rake and trail...?
Might be worth checking.
Personally I just don't like the beaky look and I doubt that the X fairing provides enough protection to justify the extra cost over an S, but it's not me buying ;)
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

GN2 the kit is this

forks are dropped by 13mm

You then have to get side stand chopped by 20mm and rewelded and a sleeve is provided to go over the weld. Maybe an S side stand would fit. At the end of the day it would cost me at least 600 quid more for a lowered X and i do feel the beak is a bit ugly as a design feature.

The more i look at the bike the more i realise it is trying to be something it is not and i can easily get a larger screen for the S that still looks good as well as some wind deflector add on bits. Think i will stick with the S as the slight change in riding position does give it an overall better feel.

Thanks for your input GN2
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

So it seems a guy not too far from me who is my height got his X seat repadded and that dropped seat height 35 mm. The fairing I remember did make a big difference. I have taken a liking to the X in black despite le beak.
Making up mind Monday morning. This bike must last at least 5 years and do think the X at faster speeds will do better with economy and be more comfy which is what I found when I tested the X and S on windy day back to back.
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

After all that I am sticking with the black S. The more i look at the X the more i am not keen on the plastic beak and that plastic extends to side of the no tank storage. End of the day i want a bike i can be happy to look at and not a fashion statement. S has cleaner lines and will respond better to some mods for a sportier look. When a screen is available i like that gives better wind protection i will get it. Leg deflector kit is also on the cards and i will have to keep speeds sensible on windy days. Money i save can get a rear hugger and a few other bits.
Changed my mind a few times but finally staying with the order i have on a black S. Thanks for all the input that has helped me make mind up.
uploader
Regular User
Regular User

Post by uploader »

TC3 wrote: i am not keen on the plastic beak
I agree 100%
its got to be the S for me