Honda NC700

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Honda NC700

Post by TC3 »

Am at dealer about to test ride it :-)
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

maddiedog wrote:Wow, it's funny seeing how HUGE it is next to the PCX. What a gorgeous bike though, the red looks awesome.
Yep i loving it in red Dave.
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

Ok so THAT WAS BLOODY FUN :)

It has been a year and 4 months since smashing my elbow and since riding a geared bike and anything over 125cc. I went up there fully kitted up on my PCX. Got some odd looks but screw em.

So I went on a "private" road and hit 85mph quickly and smoothly. There was fairly strong crosswinds so i did not go faster. I then went on some curvy roads and gradually started to lean it more. Bit of a beast compared to the PCX so will take some getting used to though it feels planted well on bends and going over some rough ground while cornering did not give any concern. Hit another "private road" and this time the wind was against me. Hit 100mph against the wind and was very happy with how that lil screen performed. Pretty sure there will be some taller screens avaliable. The S version would have been a handfull at that speed against the wind me thinks. The intergra would have loved it with its tall screen and heated foot air vents.

So it started to rain and i decided to try town riding. Was ok to navigate it between cars to get to front of queues. Felt fairly confident though i can only flatfoot one leg. The bike is a breeze to ride at slow speed with excellent balance. Headed back and told the guy i was going to cry now i had to give the keys back :)

What i like:
Smooth power delivery and pulls well in lower gears
Handling and low speed control
Good against head winds dispite a small screen
The storage!
The styling
People on other bikes nodded to me again LOL

What i did not like:
Crappy looking dash but does the job (not an expensive bike but still)
Fuel filler under seat (pain for touring)
I wont have one for a good while yet

The bike costs 5800 new and about 700-800 more for the DCT. The reason i wanted a DCT is the same reason i bought the PCX. When i smashed the elbow my wrist also got damaged. Was unable to constantly pull clutch lever in but now after having lifted some weights for some months i find i have no discomfort changing gear. So because most bikes will be manual it allows me to get a 2nd hand one when i can buy saving me lots of dosh.

Quite honestly i am in love!

Storage area very handy

Not crazy about the boring dials

The Intergra looks much better in person but not my thing and too pricey for me
rainburg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by rainburg »

Looks very nice! Thanks for the ride report, and keep us posted 8)
2011 Honda PCX, 2007 Suzuki Burgman 400
2 Honda Civics, 5 bicycles and 1 more on order
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

Taz wrote:Has anyone here sat on or ridden the NC700 S or integra? Im going to pop down to my honda dealer this week to see if or when they will be in the show room here, as I need a weekend tourer. Until I see, feel, sit on, and ride them, I cant decide between the two.
I can try and answer any questions you have. Before the PCX i owned a 2005 sv650s for 5 years but thats the only big bike i have owned for your info.
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

The storage area.....
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

How was the torque compared to your SV? If you remember I had one too so I'm glad you rode one! Anything missing compared to the SV?

Also, how tall are you?
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

EddieC wrote:How was the torque compared to your SV? If you remember I had one too so I'm glad you rode one! Anything missing compared to the SV?

Also, how tall are you?
I felt it was very torquey in the low revs. If I remember right pretty much similar to the sv. Stock suspension on front felt better than stock on sv. The svs I had felt more sporty but the X was much more comfy to ride and you sit taller so have better view ahead.
Hard to say if the X is as good as the sv on twisties as I had it a short while and could not get too familiar with it. However it fell into bends ok and felt better over uneven roads compared to sv.
It is a heavier bike than the sv and a bit more effort to move it but just a matter getting used to it.
I want one and will have one just not sure when.
I am a short 5 foot 6 inches
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

Forgot to add the X does not seem to rev as high as the SV. The power is in the low revs and requires shorter gear changes. I was in 3rd gear and hit the rev limit in that range early on as I opened it up. Maybe its all about getting used to it. The bike cruises very well at 80 mph and gets there pretty quick. At this stage in life it is enough power for me.
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

Eddie had a good chat with my bro tonight and we watched some of my SV rides we had on video. I must have forgot how fast the sv is! SV650s does a 0-60 under 4 seconds but from looking online it seems the NC700x does it a couple secs slower. I guess not having ridden anything over 125 for a while has made me think the X is very fast. You really have to test ride yourself if you are after one.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Thanks for the info and ride report. I do agree, the gauge cluster doesn't look nice.

I knew the storage compartment was big, but that video shows it's HUGE! I'm guessing you could definitely fit a full face helmet in there?

When you say the fuel filler is under the seat, how do you access it? Do you have to flip the whole seat up or just a section or what?
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

Funny but I have read on nc700 forum not all helmets fit! One guy says he got the S as his helmet fitted but not in the X.
Passenger seat flips up towards rear. I would not want a top box but would like a rack instead to attach a bag too, something like a Renntec sports rack. Would help if touring.
On another note I have had a lot of time to think about the test ride and I would have liked to be able to plant both feet firmly on ground. Makes a huge difference when you sometimes stop in wet etc. For that reason I would def test the S and see how much more confident I feel with it.
I also read the X seat is angled forward and makes you crush your balls when breaking and you sit more upright as S version handlebars position are a bit further away and you sit less upright. To be honest a lor complain about the seat on the X over on nc700 forum.
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

I quite like the NC700 instrument panel, looks modern and diff from old style bikes! Thanks for the review. I guess we should be used to angled fwd seats with the PCX and must say I dont like it. Or is that just me being tall, sitting on where the seat hump used to be! Anyone on this thread with a v-strom 650 as thats what Im thinking about as they are not selling the 700X in Oz.
Fiah
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Fiah »

the redline of the NC700 is around 6500rpm, with 48hp at 6250rpm. The SV650 (FI) redlines at 11000rpm, with 74hp at 8800rpm. That's a huge difference in engine power and characteristic no matter how you cut it :)
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

Yeah having not ridden the SV for such a long time I totally forgotten all about its character :$
I do feel the NC700 needs more clutch control as you open tbrottle as the power avaliable seemed to come on soon as you roll tbrottle open and was snatchy. I probably need more time with the bike!
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

Taz you might wanna join the nc700 forum. They have a post saying what bike people owned before. Thought I saw someone coming from a strom...will check later
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

Having had time to reflect about the test ride and calm down after the excitement of riding anything over 125 since Janurary 2011 i thought i might update this list

What i like:
Smooth power delivery once moving and pulls well
More tourqe than the figures would have you believe
Handling and low speed control due to low centre of gravity
Good against head winds dispite a small screen
The storage!
The styling

What i did not like:
Crappy looking dash but does the job (not an expensive bike but still) Gear indicator would have been handy
Fuel filler under seat (pain for touring)
I could not flat foot the bike with both legs which will give me cause for concern in some situations
The throttle is snappy as the power is delivered as soon as you roll on so you need to get used to that.
redlines between 6-7k and short gear changes (maybe just need to get used to it but can i?)

Whatever bike i buy i will be keeping for a good few years. As much as i like the shape i realistically need a lower seat height and would be willing to try the S next. At the end of the day i would have to decide what i would need it for. Will i ever do more touring or will it just be a fun machine and a commuter. The only thing i find outstanding about the bike is that storage compartment. I hate top boxes and panniers. I constantly pop to shops after a ride or just into town and that storage is a huge bonus for me.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

TC3 wrote:Whatever bike i buy i will be keeping for a good few years. As much as i like the shape i realistically need a lower seat height and would be willing to try the S next. At the end of the day i would have to decide what i would need it for. Will i ever do more touring or will it just be a fun machine and a commuter. The only thing i find outstanding about the bike is that storage compartment. I hate top boxes and panniers. I constantly pop to shops after a ride or just into town and that storage is a huge bonus for me.
Sounds to me like what you really need is a 300-400cc maxi scooter like an X10, Burgervan, Downtown, Majesty etc.
Huge practicality and enough squirt for two up at legal speeds wth a bit in reserve.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

Na not into maxi scooters. While i like the style of my PCX thats about it. Have also decided i wont be touring any more so not fussed about the under seat petrol cap. Will still do a night away here and there or a weekend trip over to France and can easily get what i want into the storage space as well as a Kiega us10 on back seat which will stay put when you tilt the seat up.
I didnt think i would enjoy manual gears again. I was wrong as i found it challenging. Above all definatly want a motorcycle again. Highly doubt i can keep the PCX as well as second bike so am going to enjoy the PCX this summer and then see work situation.
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

Big mistake riding that X!!! I am hooked and can not get it out of my mind. SW Motech do engine bars for it so that would be a good idea and i have seen these pics showing a taller screen and a rack. There is also a Renntec rack avaliable but this one looks good on the bike.

There is also a taller screen for the S version.

Made up my mind I want a Red X asap and have warned wifey. Now need to get some private work coming in. So anyone want any plans drawn up in Cad software for building design including extensions get in touch and I will give you a good price :) Plans are drafted by myself under the guidance of wifey who is a RIBA fully registered Architect with plenty experience both here and USA. Wish me luck as going to start up a small company and have a few contacts lined up.