brakes cause vibrations when not applied?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

6ftMach1Girl
Regular User
Regular User

brakes cause vibrations when not applied?

Post by 6ftMach1Girl »

Let me start with disclaimer that I am definitely not a mechanic. But I do try to understand things.

After I got my PCX 150 back from my first service at 600 miles, I started to notice a slight vibration when I would first twist the throttle as I exited my driveway. Would usually go away after the scoot got warmed up. I thought maybe this was the "chatter" some folks mentioned on the forum. I have been trying to make an effort to warm it up more before I ride, but lately the "chatter" has been getting to be more of a violent shudder, and continues to occur for a while after I start riding, every time I hit a particular spot when twisting the throttle.

So yesterday I dropped it off at local dealer for 2500 mile check (I have dealer warranty) and mentioned the problem. I thought maybe it was a belt or transmission issue, which I thought would be covered. Instead, they told me it was something with the brakes (being too tight or something). They say they bled them. Even though the brakes were never applied when the problem did occur. And my bill is only $170 and some change.

As an aside, the technician did tighten my parking brake last time I had it in to get my luggage rack installed, as the brake no longer held the bike. He said the brakes were fine. And it was vibrating before I took it in for that visit.

Does this sound right? Please advise. Very appreciative!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: brakes cause vibrations when not applied?

Post by gn2 »

Its normal for there to be some judder when cold.
This is due to the transmission system getting worn and dusty.
The simplest solution is to ride it long and hard to blow the dust out.
Take the parking brake off, thing's right up there with the chocolate fireguard and the trap door for a canoe.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
6ftMach1Girl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 6ftMach1Girl »

gn2 wrote:Its normal for there to be some judder when cold.
This is due to the transmission system getting worn and dusty.
The simplest solution is to ride it long and hard to blow the dust out.
Take the parking brake off, thing's right up there with the chocolate fireguard and the trap door for a canoe.
Yes - the parking brake is off ;) . Thank you.

Should the tranny be that worn at only 2500 miles? "Some judder" is fine with me, but this was teeth-rattling.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Could be glazed clutch shoes.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
6ftMach1Girl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 6ftMach1Girl »

Well, maybe it was brakes? Seems to be back to normal - no earth-shattering vibrations on the way home from the shop. Mechanic said when he went to spin the front wheel, it wouldn't turn. So he said he bled the air out and it turned fine and no shuddering. Also confessed he just learned that the PCX has combi brake.
pcx man
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pcx man »

I started to notice a slight vibration when I would first twist the throttle when its cold on the first few stop and goes. After that its ok. Mine has gotten worse over time as I have 7600 miles. I did take the belt cover off and blow out all the dust as I checked the belt. That seem to fix it for a time. I also got rid of the vibration when I changed my rear tire. I used a impact to tighten the rear wheel nut. I think this knocked the dust out of the rear clutch asy.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

6ftMach1Girl wrote:Well, maybe it was brakes? Seems to be back to normal - no earth-shattering vibrations on the way home from the shop. Mechanic said when he went to spin the front wheel, it wouldn't turn. So he said he bled the air out and it turned fine and no shuddering. Also confessed he just learned that the PCX has combi brake.
I don't see how that's possible. If the front wheel wouldn't turn, the brakes were binding, the disc is bent, or the bearings were bad, none of which are solved by bleeding the brake. Bleeding the brakes solves the symptom of brakes being too soft and not functioning. I'm entirely unsure why he did that.

If it's back to normal, I wouldn't complain, but I also wouldn't go back to that shop.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Maybe they cleaned up a sticky front caliper, but if the brake was binding enough to cause transmission judder you would have definitely noticed it when pushing the scooter around.
adambee

Post by adambee »

Ha! I've been having a very similar problem to 6ftMach1Girl and pcx man-- I should have checked the forum more before I posted!

I am going to try being more decisive on starts (although I've tried that more recently and it doesn't seem to help a ton), and I'll also get a can of air and blow off everything around the transmission and belt.

If those don't work, I'll take it to the shop and see if they can fix it. Seems like it shouldn't be happening with only 1800 miles on my scoot, but maybe I've already glazed up the shoes through too many gentle starts.
6ftMach1Girl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 6ftMach1Girl »

Personally I prefer to pull out briskly when the light turns green. I don't think that had much to do with it in my case.