New Member Experience

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

William T
Year: Model 2013
Color: Red 150

New Member Experience

Post by William T »

Hi, I've recently purchased a 2013 RED PCX 150 and I'm enjoying it almost everyday. I'm 66 years old from Michigan and I'm arthritic and was having a time even getting my leg over my motorcycle and thought maybe the end of ridding had arrived, when I began to get interested in scooters. I'm trying to keep the speed down during break in and have been ridding a lot of dirt country roads mostly. Ridding dirt roads with my motorcycle was something I didn't do because of the clean up but the PCX cleans up easily. Since I live in town I have really enjoyed this. While at the dealer he said that some people are using BBQ covers for their PCXs to store them. I haven't tried it but it sounded like it might work. I haven't got much to complain about except the seat of course. Sitting straight up right is a little hard on me. I'm going to try and wait to see if I'll be able to use a 2015 model seat or not and what the cost would be. If this won't work I may have someone locally take care of it. I have not read all the postings yet but have read a lot of them and picked up some interesting thoughts and suggestions. I hope I
can contribute in the future. Enjoy your scooters and sometime try the slow lane.
Urbanfreestyle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 (UK)
Color: Black

Re: New Member Experience

Post by Urbanfreestyle »

Welcome along. At 29 i don't have any major issues with the seat but at 6ft 2 it is a little close to the bars for me. I know lots of people have done humpterectomies. or bought new "customised" seats.... I would love to have one made using memory foam.... how awesome would that be!?
Honda PCX 125 ESP (Black)
Power:11.7 hp @8500 rpm, Torque:12Nm @5000rpm
Mods: LED sidelights, Yoshimura Exhaust

DEAD: 2013 Piaggio Typhoon 4 stroke 125cc (Black)
Power:9.65 HP @8500 rpm, Torque:8.2Nm @7500 rpm
Mods: Malossi Red foam filter, Hex LED Sidelights, Xenon headlights, USB charging port
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

I'm using this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maypole-937-Uni ... oter+cover
fits perfectly as and others have stated seems to be well made, although I just rely on the elasticated bottom and I've removed the clasp (case it scratches the bike). Just to add, it will only fit without the top box fitted!
Indyglow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by Indyglow »

Welcome William. Where in Michigan are you? What would you want changed about your PCX seat?
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

Another PCX owner from Michigan! That is cool, I'm curious where in Michigan too! I'm in Clinton Twp. About 20 min North of Detroit. My husband and I both have the PCX 150.
William T

Post by William T »

Hi everyone I'm located west of Flint in Swartz Creek. I bought a 2013 model a week ago and asked for a quote from Honda and received $300 off from the manufacturer because the 2015 model will be out this month I believe. So anyone interested in a 2013 model try getting a quote from Honda and see if it works for you.
William T

Post by William T »

The only thing I would change is the hump in the seat, mostly because I don't understand the purpose. I'm not having much trouble with it, but it is one thing I could do without since I ride one up only. I cann't comment much on speed since I'm taking my time with break in. I'm pretty sure it will do 55-60 mph and this is where I usually ride. As far as taking it on the expressway, no thanks. If it won't do 80 it would be holding up traffic around here. It would need the body of a tank to do 70. I've put a hundred and thirty miles on it last week and really like the scooter. It fits my garage better than my motorcycle did. Reading some of the posts above I have to admit I don't see many scooters around here but that is okay with me. At my time of life being different is easy. If I haven't impressed everyone by now it probably won't happen.
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Steph »

The hump is not for my rump! We are awaiting the delivery of our humpless seats. We are really enjoying our scoots. Rode about 50 miles today. Rode out to Romeo then back to our area to go out and eat, dodging fire works to get back home. Got ours in the spring. We have been seeing other scoots around lately. but, No PCXs. Would be cool to see one. My husband will ride his to work. 22 miles one way. I'm more into the leisure aspect for the scooter.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Welcome, glad you chose to join us!
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
MiddleRiverPCX
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by MiddleRiverPCX »

The HUMP?
Why the hump?
I KNOW why the hump!
The hump is there to discourage riding THREE-up, as you often see in Thailand.
WE visited Thailand last year for a bit over a week, saw three on a motorbike many times, I think the record was 5...
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Steph »

Why the hump? Because they wanted to separate our rumps! Lol.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

MiddleRiverPCX wrote:The hump is there to discourage riding THREE-up, as you often see in Thailand. WE visited Thailand last year for a bit over a week, saw three on a motorbike many times, I think the record was 5...
This is our maid (on the back) heading home for the day with her sister and the three kids. Even after living here for just over two years, I still cringe whenever I see things like this.
Na on Scooter 02_800x600.jpg
Na on Scooter 02_800x600.jpg (104.28 KiB) Viewed 1448 times
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

MiddleRiverPCX wrote:WE visited Thailand last year for a bit over a week ...
Did you manage to pick up any cheap accessories for your PCX while you were here.
Urbanfreestyle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 (UK)
Color: Black

Post by Urbanfreestyle »

If i ever go to Thailand i'm taking lots of spending money for accessories.
Honda PCX 125 ESP (Black)
Power:11.7 hp @8500 rpm, Torque:12Nm @5000rpm
Mods: LED sidelights, Yoshimura Exhaust

DEAD: 2013 Piaggio Typhoon 4 stroke 125cc (Black)
Power:9.65 HP @8500 rpm, Torque:8.2Nm @7500 rpm
Mods: Malossi Red foam filter, Hex LED Sidelights, Xenon headlights, USB charging port
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Steph »

kramnala58, Does you maid's sister have the humpless seat? I hope so!
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

Steph wrote:kramnala58, Does you maid's sister have the humpless seat? I hope so!
:lol: :lol: ... It is indeed a humpless seat. I believe the scooter is a Honda Click which may well be the most popular bike in Thailand. It only comes with a humpless seat.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

Did you also notice that there is one helmet between all five of them ... also a common sight here even though helmets are mandatory.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Good to have you on board William. Congrats on getting a good deal on your PCX & for continuing to ride. Having a scooter will definitely make riding a better/happier experience for you. You're doing just fine breaking her in. Taking it slow... I hear ya... and there's no Rush (well, riding in a rush I mean) :D Who doesn't get a Rush from riding a bike! That sensation Never goes away. Oh shoot, that's a whole topic right there! I best stop now :D Enjoy that PCX!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Mark, that's your maid?
Do any of the folks there take motorcycle courses or do they just "all" hop on and go? Wing it! I guess scoots are so much cheaper there that most families have one (clearing throat) & only "one" helmet between them (as in half of one). Have you ever gotten into a discussion with her about "family" rides and safety? I think I know the answer to that. Ignore ?? Never mind :roll: Be safe Mark...it's crazy out there!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

WhiteNoise ....
No motorcycle course that I know of. I didn't even take a test. I got my license through the 'back door' so to speak because they accepted my US International Driving Permit like it was an actual drivers license, which it isn't. It needs to be accompanied with a valid drivers license form your home country, but they took it on its own. ... Everyone one I know of just hops on and goes for it ... scooters and motorcycles seem to be much cheaper, especially if they are made in Thailand, like the PCX. Foreign made cars typically have a 200%-300% duty tax on them ... I often only ride with half a lid in the city as well. The ones I smile at are the people who ride around with a construction site type helmet on. Typically it is too hot for a full face. I know, I know, safety first. ;) ... It is kind of hard to have a discussion when you can't speak the language. I leave it to my wife to carry on most conversations with our maid as she took way more language lessons than I did. ... Yup, it's crazy out there for sure. Defensive driving (anticipating what others will and won't do) is a must! Me and the Mrs just took out longest ride since I got the bike .... a whopping 45kms (27 miles) round trip to the mall, and we still didn't make it anywhere near to getting out of the city. It is pretty wild with 14+ million people.