NSS300 Fuel Pump problems

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: NSS300 Fuel Pump problems

Post by fish »

iceman wrote:Honda must be taking this seriously by now - they soon will not be able to say it's now a known problem.
Maybe, some automakers have been known to sit on a known problem for a long time!
Let's hope the safety liability this represents for Honda will (or has) prompt some quick action.
Fish
stryder123
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 forza
Color: Red

Post by stryder123 »

Some of you have wondered if this problem is also in The USA. I ordered a 2014 Forza last week. It was supposed to be ready for pickup today. When I got there the sales rep told me that the fuel pump was bad right out of the crate. Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy about taking delivery on a new scoot thats bad out of the box. AT least it was there and not 50 miles from nowhere. I asked but he said there was still no recall on them. Supposed to be ready by tomorrow. Lets hope that is the only thing wrong and that the new pump will be a different version than the original.
presi13

Post by presi13 »

When I have on my own the Forza, I'll say you where was manufactured. Safetely It had been manufactured in Thailand.

David.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

All Forza production is in Thailand.
But where the pumps come from is anyone's guess....
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Well, the good news is the part is only about $120 and maybe an hour to install (2 hours at a dealer).
Shouldn't be too hard - installed one in my Kymco scooter a few weeks ago - $175 for the OEM 'assembly' - matched the specs and a picture perfect match Yamaha EFI pump for $30. New electric pump & filter slips into the assembly.
If I knew which one was the good OEM one - I'd probably take a shot at it - for peace of mind.
Fish
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Once we figure out which new OEM pump is good, doesn't look too hard to replace.
Here's the pump down by the battery.
Great photos courtesy of 'BRed'.
Fish

presi13

Post by presi13 »

Thanks a lot for the photos.
It has to put out the seat and something else.

David from Spain.
robisc

Post by robisc »

The 11th issue verified in Italy and known in our forum is for a Forza 3000 bought in May 2014 with 1150 kms.
All scooters sold in Italy are Made in Thailand.
As I wrote in other message a manager of Honda Europe said japan engineers are looking for the reasons of issue and for a solution; if will be verified some scooters are affected there will be a call back campaign for replacing fuel pump.
We hope...
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

robisc wrote:The 11th issue verified in Italy and known in our forum is for a Forza 3000 bought in May 2014 with 1150 kms.
All scooters sold in Italy are Made in Thailand.
As I wrote in other message a manager of Honda Europe said japan engineers are looking for the reasons of issue and for a solution; if will be verified some scooters are affected there will be a call back campaign for replacing fuel pump.
We hope...

Purchase date is not too important - more important is the date the scooter was put together on the assembly line in Thailand.
Fish
presi13

Post by presi13 »

No doubt, there is a problem with the fuel pump.

At the moment we have knowledge by users from Italy and Spain that in these countries the pumps are dying, but I think it's sure more pumps will dye.

No normal that pumps are going dying so youngs. It's a youthful failure.

For everyone I attach the manual's service of our dearest Forza 300.The worst thing it's in Thai, but the pictures are so useful. Either somebody has it, or will get the manual in english, please share it.
Attachments
FORZA.pdf
(10.95 MiB) Downloaded 191 times
DioTiAma
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 NSS300A
Color: Seal Silver

NSS300A Major Problems

Post by DioTiAma »

The Honda Forza 300 has/had three major problems: rear wheel problem which affected only the early production line (& was known only in Thailand), then was the oil leak problem (down from the water pump) which affected models produced on the second, third & even forth quarter of 2013 and the fuel pump failure problem which is currently affecting models produced on the last quarter of 2013 and the ones from the first quarter of 2014. I got he scooter with the second problem! On my point of view, the fuel pump failure is THE worst because is the most dangerous. Honda should be more responsible. It's not a brand new model. The engine was/is being used on the SH300i for many years. Anyway, in 5 days, i'm taking my scooter to the workshop for the second time in four months! The first time they changed the right crankcase cover/water pump didn't work...! Maybe, Japanese motorcycles are NOT so trustworthy as we think they are.
presi13

Post by presi13 »

My God!

What motorcycle we have bought!! :( :( :(

Honda should do something to solve these problems as fast as be possible. No delay or perhaps it will be too late.

(VHFS): Victims of Honda Forza 300 Spain
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

Meanwhile back in pcx world everything's smashing.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Alibally wrote:Meanwhile back in pcx world everything's smashing.
Apart from the holes in the crankcases where the stand mounts got torn out of......

Add warped rear discs to the list of Forza woes.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014
Color: grey

Post by dergav »

Of course shit happens ...but it shouldn't.... and not with a new product from a Company like Honda..I don't find that acceptable and never would... Honda live on their reputation.... I own both a Forza and a CRv both bought on the back of that reputation.
I have a further email from them after my further questioning and I attach a copy below.My point to Honda is that they need to be responding with either information on their failing component and what they are doing about it and/or providing reassurances to all Forza owners on the outcome of their investigations...and not just hiding behind their dealers...
This Forum is highlighting a problem with a Honda product and across different countries which Honda know about so silence from Honda is not acceptable...Honda need to respond..and the more emails and pressure we all apply the better...

from Honda......
Dear Mr. Gavin,

Thank you for contacting Honda UK.

Your query has been forwarded to our Head Office's Customer Relations team. They will review your case and provide you with an answer within the next three business days.

Should you need to chase your case, please use the following reference number: 1144666.

Thank you for contacting Honda. If we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,

Dilyan Nikolov

Honda Customer Service

Honda Motor Europe Ltd.

Honda UK
BRed
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2023 XMax 300
Color: Grey and black

Re: NSS300A Major Problems

Post by BRed »

DioTiAma wrote:The Honda Forza 300 has/had three major problems: rear wheel problem which affected only the early production line (& was known only in Thailand), then was the oil leak problem (down from the water pump) which affected models produced on the second, third & even forth quarter of 2013 and the fuel pump failure problem which is currently affecting models produced on the last quarter of 2013 and the ones from the first quarter of 2014.
Thanks for posting that...that's the most information on this we've seen yet....issues associated with specific production dates.

with a 6/13 birth date, it sounds like I might be spared the fuel pump issue, but can possibly look forward to something I've never owned before....
a Honda with an oil leak??

we need to try to correlate DioTiAma's dates with the VIN/birth date stickers on as many failed fuel pumps in all markets as possible....
they should be in this range... 9/13, 10/13, 11/13, 12/13, 1/14, 2/14, 3/14

if we can figure it out, someone@Honda should be able to as well?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The Forza problems are as nothing compared to some of the nightmares Honda have had with other machines.
Honda have a long history of rushing bikes out before all the wrinkles have been ironed out.
It got so bad at one time that they doubled the warranty period on their bikes in the UK totry to regain lost sales.
A year used to be all you got but Honda were first to offer two years on machines over 250cc.
I myself suffered from the vagaries of being one of Hondas unwitting product testers when I bought one of the first VFR750s in the UK.
This bike was touted as the final fix to the long list of engine problems which had beset its predecessor, the VF750.
Three sets of cams, one set of crankcases, conrods and pistons later I had a bike with a handbuilt engine better than it was when it left the factory.
So don't be fooled, a Honda badge is no guarantee of reliability if its stuck on a bike.
waybar
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waybar »

Mine has the 6/13 date, just went over 2500 miles and no fuel pump problem yet. Haven't noticed any oil leak yet either. Hoping I got a good one that won't have these problems.
DioTiAma
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 NSS300A
Color: Seal Silver

NSS300A Major Problems

Post by DioTiAma »

The oil leak (at least the problem i have for the past 5.350km) looks like this (it quite clean anyway, i clean it every / every other day, so that oil line is two-three days old at the most):

And BRed, i'm confident that you shouldn't be worried about an oil leak. Judging by ALL the things i've read / know, talked about with friends & mechanics, the specific oil leak on NSS300A is a "birth defect". The oil seal (99%) and the mechanic seal (51%) are faulty.
BRed
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2023 XMax 300
Color: Grey and black

Post by BRed »

Thanks again for posting that!

I'll take your word on the oil seal but I'll keep an eye on that point just in case.

DioTiAma, you've just boosted my confidence in MY Forza at least a thousandfold!
I suspect that's true for many of us and it is a realistic heads-up! for owners of Forzas in the affected production runs.

I bought the Forza for longer ranges to save Interstate wear and tear on the Big Ruckus, which was to be my short range daily rider, but because of this fuel pump issue, I've been riding the hell out of the Forza...daily, every chance I get!... to try and make the fuel pump fail while I'm close to home.

I guess I can cut that foolishness out and finally take the Forza out on the highway for nice long run and see what she can do?