Battery flat - help!

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Larry David
Regular User
Regular User

Battery flat - help!

Post by Larry David »

Hi. It's only been 2 weeks since I last used my bike. I have just gone to start it and it won't start. Engine making no sound at all. I didn't think the battery would go flat after just 2 weeks of no use. Will I need to buy a new battery or will jump leads get it going again?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Battery flat - help!

Post by gn2 »

Don't jump it from a car battery.
Charge the battery with a suitable charger if you don't have another bike available.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

You should be able to hook a battery charger to it and let it charge for an hour. It should have a surface charge by then. It needs a deep charge but should be able to start and run for the day. I have a battery tender I use on mine. Easy to connect and it let's me know when it is changed up.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Larry David
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Larry David »

Ive only just seen your post GN2. Just tried using jump leads from the car. No joy. The lights on the bike come on but absolutely nothing engine wise. If the lights are on, could it be that it's not the battery?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Check your battery leads first. Your lights can come on with very little juice in the battery, and even when you have a loose battery lead they will work. If the leads are tight then it sounds like the battery is really discharged. Check any additions that connect to the battery to make sure they are not pulling some current unknown to you. I have seen batteries so discharged that jump starting was not an option simply because all the juice was going into the battery but not coming out of it to complete the circuit. Stick it on a charger, and if it doesn't charge after an hour of quick charge, it is bad.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Larry David
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Larry David »

Mel46 wrote:Check your battery leads first. Your lights can come on with very little juice in the battery, and even when you have a loose battery lead they will work. If the leads are tight then it sounds like the battery is really discharged. Check any additions that connect to the battery to make sure they are not pulling some current unknown to you. I have seen batteries so discharged that jump starting was not an option simply because all the juice was going into the battery but not coming out of it to complete the circuit. Stick it on a charger, and if it doesn't charge after an hour of quick charge, it is bad.
I did have a bit if difficulty clamping the leads onto the bike battery as there is not a lot of room for them to clamp around the metal bits so I'm not even sure if I connected them properly. It was also dark so difficult to see what I was doing even with a torch. I don't have a charger so I may as we'll just go and buy a new battery. Do you know how much they are?
Larry David
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Larry David »

Is it possible that it could be the alternator? Considering the bike was fine 2 weeks ago when I used it last, a flat battery seems the most likely explanation.
pcxpower
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by pcxpower »

Larry David wrote: I don't have a charger so I may as we'll just go and buy a new battery. Do you know how much they are?
Here in Spain they are about 25 euro ($33) with free shipping:

http://www.all-batteries.es/baterias-mo ... -2011.html

I do not see in your location profile where are you from, but if you're from the States, I guess that they will be even cheaper... ;)
2015 Honda PCX 125
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Larry David, please be kind enough to post your location. Folks here want to provide info that will help you with your problem and any other problems that may arise.
Be a pal, help them too, oKay? Just Follow the directions I posted right here. Look below
I hope you're battery issues get resolved quickly ;) :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Larry David
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Larry David »

WhiteNoise wrote:Larry David, please be kind enough to post your location. Folks here want to provide info that will help you with your problem and any other problems that may arise.
Be a pal, help them too, oKay? Just Follow the directions I posted right here. Look below
I'm from Hampshire, England
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Larry David wrote:
WhiteNoise wrote:Larry David, please be kind enough to post your location. Folks here want to provide info that will help you with your problem and any other problems that may arise.

That's old Hampshire to you wn
pcxpower
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pcxpower »

Larry David wrote:
We are close! :D

Perhaps you can update the location in your profile, following "white noise"`s instructions? This way, all the forum users, not only the ones that are following this post, will be able to assist you in case that you require some info on other issues? ;)
2015 Honda PCX 125
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

We purchased our Battery Tenders (2 of them) from bikebandit.com when they were having a pre Christmas sale. Keep an eye out for online sales at motorcycle/scooter stores and pick one up. I think we ended up only paying atound $15 each at that time. They are well worth it. I don't know how strong the batteries are that come with these scooters but I have seen other reports of battery problems on 2013 pcx scooters. Maybe there was a bad batch of them. Even the battery on mine, which is only 4 months old, has been failing lately. I have it on the battery tender right now, but it looks like I will be replacing it soon anyway.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by dustin91 »

I'm bringing my 2013 150 into my dealer in about two weeks for them to run some tests on the battery, letting it fully drain, etc. I had them install a trickle charger for winter storage, and that's been working great. But I left it disconnected from the charger over a long weekend, and in 4 days the battery was dead. No way should this be happening on a year-old batt, when other members here say they'll go weeks or months without a ride and start up no problem.
pcxpower
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pcxpower »

A battery going flat in so little time isn't normal... here in Europe, with the start and stop system, the old PCXs had this problem (rumored to have disappeared in the 2014/2015 model), but US models, without the system, should not have it...

My other scooter, a 2009 Suzuki Sixteen 125, is still running on the original battery, and the bike is not used for weeks in winter (I have two scooters), so definitely is not normal to have battery problems in so little time...
2015 Honda PCX 125
Larry David
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Larry David »

Right, Ive put a battery charger on it and the lights on the charger are green indicating that the battery is fine. Put it back in the bike and still won't start. Sadly, it would appear that it's an electrical or wiring issue. Garage are coming to collect it.
Larry David
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Larry David »

How much of a clown do I feel! The garage have just come out. There is nothing wrong with the bike. I was trying to start it with the stand down!!!! I guess you forget the routine when youve not been on it for a while!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

That had caught a few people out now - some have posted to this forum. :)
pcxpower
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pcxpower »

:D :D :D This is one of the reasons why I always disable the side stand switch in all my motorcycles and scooters... but disabling it means that one must ALWAYS remember to put away (is the term?) the side stand before leaving! ;)
2015 Honda PCX 125