Maintaining a charge on the battery?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Maintaining a charge on the battery?

Post by Valiant »

Obvious solution:
Use a charger.

Unfortunately, I don't have an outlet(apartment complex), and my broken leg hasn't healed enough to ride it around for a bit. My dealer is evidently full of idiots as they sold me a portable jump-starter instead of a charger, so I'm stuck with a $168 PoS.

I can place an order for a solar charger, but that's going to take a few days and my battery shows a 20% charge. The drain is caused by a GPS-alarm, and disconnecting it from the battery will trigger a backup battery(and the siren).

Is it possible to charge it by running the engine with the PCX on its centerstand? I'm not sure how it works, so I'm not sure if I have to actually ride it or simply run the throttle. I don't have anyone I know who can ride it around for me.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Re: Maintaining a charge on the battery?

Post by kramnala58 »

You live in Hawaii ... it is one of only 10 states that I have not been to yet ... fly me there and I will be glad to ride your PCX around for you. ;)

On a serious note, it should work to have it idle while on the center stand but it will likely take longer than riding it.

Hopefully your leg continues to heal and there aren't any complications.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

I dont know anything about the GPS alarm since I dont have one, but I would.
- Remove battery and bring it up to apartment.
- Attach jumpers to battery and plug the jump starter in to charge both the internal jump start and PCX battery.

This is what I do in the winter since I have not bought a trickle charger yet.
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Wouldn't it be better to just return the jump-starter for an actual charger then? I also don't believe a current will run through the jumper cables unless you actually try to jump-start it.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have been to 49 of the 50 states, including being stationed in Hawaii. Love that place. I think Slickvic has the correct idea. However, if you can't disconnect the battery to bring it upstairs to your apartment, that might be a problem. One thought might be to see if someone on the first floor apartment will allow you to charge your battery. You only have to do it once before your new charger comes in. You could run a long extension cord from their apartment. However, you will need a charger. So, do you have a charger for right now? I'm not sure a jump starter will charger anything, though it is great for jump starting your bike when the battery is low. Consider returning the jump starter unless you think it will come in handy later on.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

I don't have a charger, and I seriously doubt I'd ever need the jump starter(no cold winters! ^_^). It's not that I can't disconnect the battery, just that I'm a bit ham-handed with the technical stuff, but it seems like the only option anyways, so I'll see if I can do it without having the siren scream into my face.

Oh, and there's no first floor apartments. First floor is for parking, and occupant units start on the 2nd floor.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Okay, I think I managed to remove the battery without much drama(at least, the siren didn't scream at me). Now hopefully my dealer doesn't give me BS for returning the useless piece of crap they sold to me which I can't use.
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

1. Attach a charging connector to the PCX battery, terminating in the underseat storage compartment. A "Battery Tender" brand connector will do the trick. It's available through Walmart Online or Amazon.
2. Get a portable battery power source (it's a battery pack with outlets) that you can charge in your apartment. Also available at Walmart or Amazon.
3. When you need to top up the PCX battery, connect the battery power source to your underseat battery connector. My 22AH battery power source will fit under the PCX seat.
4. Rinse and repeat, as needed.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?