Have you had the clutch bearing failure yet?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Re: Have you had the clutch bearing failure yet?

Post by SECoda »

My ongoing costs are not too bad on the Navigation. and electronics.

On my Titanium everything is updated by satellite now. Now I have Sirius radio including weather, traffic, gas prices, movies, etc. turned on (Travelink) and that is all a subscription but highly negotiable. Everything is integrated with Navigation. Maps are always current from Sat. I normally pay about 1/2 of what Sirius is asking for an annual. I paid about $15 per month for the entire year.

My only complaint is now there is so much information. The Navigation information alone is very comprehensive with road signs and speeds, etc. but very useful but add in traffic, animated radar weather, gas stations, restaurants, etc.. Then add in the radar and sensors, blind spot sensors, cross traffic, proximity sensors, cameras, and it gets to be a bit much sometimes. Everything turns itself on and off like lights of course and wipers. You can't turn the car over in a high speed turn because it will sense it and apply brakes if that isn't scary. This stuff would just confuse my mother and she would crash in less than a block. :P I know some folks complain it is too much and sometimes it seems like the car is alive. :o Hence the bumper-to-bumper extended warranty.

I heard soon in the US the side mirrors will be replaced by more cameras.
kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Candy Rosy Red

Post by kcpcx »

Yeah, the thing that gets me about extended service contracts is that most of them, even branded by the manufacturer, are actually administered by some 3rd party.

If I knew that Honda Financial was underwriting my warranty, I'd maybe think about it. But it seems these days, its always some third party provider, although they try to spin it as "Honda endorsed" or something like that.

My head would pop off if I bought an extended warranty, and something like the bearing failure happened and they denied it. A shock absorber, sure, that could be considered wear. Paint, sure. Seat fabric, sure. But a transmission bearing? No. Any reasonable person would assume that was covered.

I guess aside from the statistics of extended warranties, my distrust of them comes from the fact that it seems they always have an "out".
'88 BMW R100RT
TXpcx
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by TXpcx »

Has this been corrected on the 2015's? Is this problem covered under the factory 1 yr warranty?
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

TXpcx wrote:Has this been corrected on the 2015's? Is this problem covered under the factory 1 yr warranty?
Don't worry, you're in good hands here. Do you have any mechanical skills? This bearing thing is a low level skill set and you could probably swap it out faster than the dealer. I have 1400 miles on my 2015 and there is nothing rattling or smelling burnt yet :lol: But if it did act in ways a few other 13's & 14's have you would do well to read the forums and roll with the punches. Thanks to folks in here I would have a pretty good idea what's going on and it's not going to be expensive to fix or warrant extended coverage. Hey you remember the old joke about Harleys? Ride them out, push them home. Well we have a long ways to go before declaring PCX a problem.

Just break it in properly... then ride it hard and play the hand your dealt :D
Tom192
Regular User
Regular User
Color: red

Post by Tom192 »

mines having work done at it today which is possibly a bearing failure at 15k miles
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I am at least glad that we all are now aware of that problem and can be prepared if it starts sounding bad. Obviously Honda knows about this problem too or that part would not have been on back order for so long. And isn't it funny that third party warranty coverage excludes this problem area? Hmmm.

well, all we can do is ride and enjoy it until we can't. Then we fix it and keep on riding....until we can't. Ride with caution and enjoy your ride. Autumn has arrived!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Tom192
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Tom192 »

Mines at an independent has Honda been fixing it under the standard warranty ?
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Was your third party warranty price much different than I posted from Honda?

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3377

Mel46 wrote:I am at least glad that we all are now aware of that problem and can be prepared if it starts sounding bad. Obviously Honda knows about this problem too or that part would not have been on back order for so long. And isn't it funny that third party warranty coverage excludes this problem area? Hmmm.

well, all we can do is ride and enjoy it until we can't. Then we fix it and keep on riding....until we can't. Ride with caution and enjoy your ride. Autumn has arrived!
kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Candy Rosy Red

Post by kcpcx »

This is a stupid question, but just to clarify...

...specifically which part or parts fail (bearing<s>), and what is the part number of those parts?

I may just order them now and have them on hand in case of failure. Low risk if they are only $30 range, and looks like a fairly easy DIY job.

thank you.
'88 BMW R100RT
Tom192
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Tom192 »

[quote="SECoda"]Was your third party warranty price much different than I posted from Honda?

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3377

In the UK the bike comes with 2 years manufacturers warranty think you are referring to an add on?
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Right or Extended.
Sowaka
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Black

Post by Sowaka »

I'm a little curious about this... How can you tell when it has failed? My bike feels like it has been running relatively well but lately I feel the bike sounds more.... Rumbly. I can't tell if it's paranoia or an actual problem, as it has very few miles on it but recently suffered a tiny tumble as I tried to do a U-turn a little too slowly in a parking garage. ; (
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Sowaka wrote:recently suffered a tiny tumble as I tried to do a U-turn a little too slowly in a parking garage.
sorry, doesn't quite make the crash survivors list... maybe next time ;)
Sowaka
Color: Black

Post by Sowaka »

homie wrote:
Sowaka wrote:recently suffered a tiny tumble as I tried to do a U-turn a little too slowly in a parking garage.
sorry, doesn't quite make the crash survivors list... maybe next time ;)
Haha, it was horrible! I half blame the brand new winter gauntlets I was wearing... The other half of the blame is all on me though. At least I got my first bike drop out of the way and the thing is barely even nicked, just gotta hope I don't do it again!
KrisoUK

Post by KrisoUK »

Hey guys, I get some weird noise and vibration just when I'm taking off till 5-10 miles. It's like some metal is hitting another metal, can't really describe it, but you can feel strong vibrations. Then when I'm about to stop, you can here similar noise, but this time it's like something is banging twice or three time and that's again between 10-5 miles range.

Could it be the same reason as you are stating here? My bike is on 13 000 miles and I haven't changed anything apart from oil, drive oil, spark plugs and a filter.

Thank you and Regards.
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

Are an equal percentage of stock and modded PCX's experiencing this?

A little concerning that Honda may not have their transmission bearings sorted out yet. One of the bearings in the automatic transmissions for their late 90s to early 2000s cars were susceptible to blowing up, taking the entire transmission with it. $800 for a rebuild to $3500 for an improved re-manufactured unit.

Mind you, scooters are so much easier to work on, other than feeling like you're working on a scale model.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

dkazzed wrote:Are an equal percentage of stock and modded PCX's experiencing this?
Actually, very few PCX's are experiencing this first of all. And, this has no similarity whatsoever to a bearing in a car transmission.
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I picked up one of these OEM assemblies after a two month back-order and stamped on the edge of the roller bearing is - you guessed it "China". :lol:
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

sendler2112 wrote:
dkazzed wrote:Are an equal percentage of stock and modded PCX's experiencing this?
Actually, very few PCX's are experiencing this first of all. And, this has no similarity whatsoever to a bearing in a car transmission.
It is a little similar as in it's a bearing that's a component of some sort in the transmission, which is why I made the connection. Where the similarity ends is it seems like a very easy and inexpensive fix in the unlikely event it does happens so this will not dissuade me one bit from purchasing a PCX but rather is a piece of information to keep in mind.

Heck the potential transmission problem in the Odyssey did not dissuade me from purchasing a 2000 last year, but it will go to the junk yard when the transmission fails. The PCX on the other hand, I can see myself doing worth it to do whatever's necessary to still be riding it 20+ years down the road much like the Honda Elites of the 80s. I see them on the road in the summer with Collector Plates on for pleasure rides.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

What clutch bearing failure?

Or no if it's easier