Life saving tip

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Jarec
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Life saving tip

Post by Jarec »

Practice emergency stops once a season, says David Hough, author of Proficient Motorcycling: the Ultimate Guide to Riding Well.

This saved me a couple of weeks ago. An SUV pulled out from the right. I couldn't see the driver, nor she me because of a truck. I hit the brakes hard and skidded a bit but didn't go down, and stopped in time. Practicing emergency stops had enabled me to build muscle memory for applying just enough brake without losing control.

The book was recommended by the instructor of the MSF safety course I took. I read a little each night. It has useful advice on building good safety habits and avoiding hazards.

I realize that I was a little dumb in the incident mentioned above. I didn't fully appreciate the risk of someone pulling out from behind the parked truck. But the braking practice saved me.
Current ride
2013 PCX150

Former rides
Yamaha c3
Honda CB360
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Life saving tip

Post by gn2 »

Better yet, get ABS.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Great advise Jarec, especially since the recent legalization of pot in Colorado. I sincerely mean that, you need to REALLY maintain situation awareness with slow moving stoners on the streets and highways.

Now I just realize you have the Hondels in your signature and I never get tired of clicking on :lol: I have seen it so many times that if you look close at about 143-144 you will notice the blond with the Groucho Marks nose/glasses falls off the backend and they edit it out. I bet this was a hoot to produce and they would still be laughing.
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I was wondering how those ABS are working out on the Forza?

I practiced some real hard braking on the PCX and it does pretty well unless you are on gravel. Wet surfaces definitely become a bit more challenging too so I avoid them. Like flying I am a fair weather pilot and scooter driver. I only use them for recreation but emergency practice is a requirement for both.

I used to have a blue credit card with a hole in the center of it that was the same color as the sky. The point was you held it up and if the sky didn't match the card color - you stayed home. I work from home but many are not so lucky. If the weather is iffy I always use my 4WD SUV.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have been riding so long that I automatically look for possible situations that could be dangerous, and escape routes. My wife, however, just charges ahead. She seems to believe that using engine braking will solve most problems. This scares the crap out of me, but now that she has been riding for a couple of years she has her head where mine was when I was a teenager. Do any of you remember how invulnerable you felt when you were a teenager? The problem is, she is a long way past being a teenager. She can always find an excuse for problems she encounters, but that isn't learning. As I get older, I ride much more conservatively. I think that is the way to ride, believing that no one can see you and no one will stop for you. Practicing emergency braking is essential, as well as evasive action practice. She gets upset if anything happens to me, but forgets that it can happen to her also. Everyone, please be aware that other drivers are looking for a car where you are, and they may not see you, so be prepared.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

SECoda wrote:I was wondering how those ABS are working out on the Forza?
Brilliant.
Pull the brake levers as hard as you like and it stops in a straight line, even on wet cobbles.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

I am exhausted mentally after a ride. I wish I could ignore the guy behind me because that would take a load off. I'm always playing different scenarios unfolding around me and its challenging. The lack of speed and rapid acceleration is on our side, the vast majority of scooter crashes on youtube are non lethal and rather comical. I would venture to say that its the guy running a red light that you forget to look for that is our worst enemy. I don't care to jet out into a busy intersection and usually parallel a car for protection and focus on the exposed side as I proceed. If I'm going down I'm hoping to glance and roll off stuff while getting my ass out of harms way ASAP.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

I personally have trouble finding any empty space where I can do this without someone rear-ending me.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Jarec
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Jarec »

Between stoners and drunks the highways are a thrill a minute!

That Hondells song is an ear worm, Homie! I went back and watched it again and you're right, she does fall off the bike--should have been wearing her helmet. :D Yeah, they must have had a great time making it. I think hearing it on the radio and seeing the little Honda 50s in the beach time where I lived at the time were my first exposure to two wheelers.
homie wrote:Great advise Jarec, especially since the recent legalization of pot in Colorado. I sincerely mean that, you need to REALLY maintain situation awareness with slow moving stoners on the streets and highways.

Now I just realize you have the Hondels in your signature and I never get tired of clicking on :lol: I have seen it so many times that if you look close at about 143-144 you will notice the blond with the Groucho Marks nose/glasses falls off the backend and they edit it out. I bet this was a hoot to produce and they would still be laughing.
Current ride
2013 PCX150

Former rides
Yamaha c3
Honda CB360
Jarec
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Jarec »

Mel46, thanks for your advice to remember that other drivers are looking for a car where we are. As an aside, I installed the Knight Riderz led lights you posted about and am very happy with them.

Re your wife, has she taken safety training? I did and thought it was fabulous, well worth the time and the money. She might respond better to a third party's instruction... Where I live they don't offer the scooter version, so I took the motorcycle course (and dropped the motorcycle twice!).
Mel46 wrote:I have been riding so long that I automatically look for possible situations that could be dangerous, and escape routes. My wife, however, just charges ahead. She seems to believe that using engine braking will solve most problems. This scares the crap out of me, but now that she has been riding for a couple of years she has her head where mine was when I was a teenager. Do any of you remember how invulnerable you felt when you were a teenager? The problem is, she is a long way past being a teenager. She can always find an excuse for problems she encounters, but that isn't learning. As I get older, I ride much more conservatively. I think that is the way to ride, believing that no one can see you and no one will stop for you. Practicing emergency braking is essential, as well as evasive action practice. She gets upset if anything happens to me, but forgets that it can happen to her also. Everyone, please be aware that other drivers are looking for a car where you are, and they may not see you, so be prepared.
Current ride
2013 PCX150

Former rides
Yamaha c3
Honda CB360
Jarec
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Jarec »

Homie, I too often am mentally exhausted after a ride. Hypervigilance is tiring.

Re the "guy behind us," Mel posted about the Knight Riderz led running and brake lights. I installed them too and they should really wake up anyone behind you. I agree that intersections are the most dangerous; also driveways and alleys. The stats say that getting hit from behind is relatively rare.

homie wrote:I am exhausted mentally after a ride. I wish I could ignore the guy behind me because that would take a load off. I'm always playing different scenarios unfolding around me and its challenging. The lack of speed and rapid acceleration is on our side, the vast majority of scooter crashes on youtube are non lethal and rather comical. I would venture to say that its the guy running a red light that you forget to look for that is our worst enemy. I don't care to jet out into a busy intersection and usually parallel a car for protection and focus on the exposed side as I proceed. If I'm going down I'm hoping to glance and roll off stuff while getting my ass out of harms way ASAP.
Current ride
2013 PCX150

Former rides
Yamaha c3
Honda CB360
binje
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by binje »

It seems I have been getting involuntary practice of emergency stops recently. Once in the rain (for those of you in London) on the elevated section of the A4 when going between a stopped line of traffic, a dingbat decided the 6 inches of space in the other lane was for him and he just booted it so he could get his nose in to the space ending up stopped diagnolly between 2 lanes. Of course he didnt notice the perlescent white scooter with a the rider in a white helmet and orange/yellow high vis jacket coming down the middle. I braked hard, and while skidding went over a manhole cover so a bit of sideways skidding action at the same time. Stopped in time thought thankfully. He got glared at and said sorry. Hope he will be more aware next time.

Another one was last week when again a dude decided he wanted to try and bend the laws of physics and occupy the same physical space as me. That obviously was not gonna happen so when he decided to jerk (in more ways than one) sideways I had to hit the brakes hard. Skidded again but thankfully all good. Another glare, head shake and carry on. Just accelerated my timeline for getting new tyres a bit as I thought I dont need spots on my already wearing down tyres. Michelin City Grips on order now :)
2011 Honda PCX 125
Jarec
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Jarec »

Harrowing stories, binje! Reminds me of when I used to ride a bicycle in Manhattan.
binje wrote:It seems I have been getting involuntary practice of emergency stops recently. Once in the rain (for those of you in London) on the elevated section of the A4 when going between a stopped line of traffic, a dingbat decided the 6 inches of space in the other lane was for him and he just booted it so he could get his nose in to the space ending up stopped diagnolly between 2 lanes. Of course he didnt notice the perlescent white scooter with a the rider in a white helmet and orange/yellow high vis jacket coming down the middle. I braked hard, and while skidding went over a manhole cover so a bit of sideways skidding action at the same time. Stopped in time thought thankfully. He got glared at and said sorry. Hope he will be more aware next time.

Another one was last week when again a dude decided he wanted to try and bend the laws of physics and occupy the same physical space as me. That obviously was not gonna happen so when he decided to jerk (in more ways than one) sideways I had to hit the brakes hard. Skidded again but thankfully all good. Another glare, head shake and carry on. Just accelerated my timeline for getting new tyres a bit as I thought I dont need spots on my already wearing down tyres. Michelin City Grips on order now :)
Current ride
2013 PCX150

Former rides
Yamaha c3
Honda CB360
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

binje wrote:accelerated my timeline for getting new tyres a bit as I thought I dont need spots on my already wearing down tyres. Michelin City Grips on order now :)
Will you share your purchase details (I assume amazon). Here is what I researched to order but not confident enough they are right for the new 150 because all the info in here is last years PCX models.

http://www.amazon.com/Michelin-Premium- ... +City+Grip

http://www.amazon.com/Michelin-City-Gri ... +City+Grip

and these are better looking tires but no one here cares for them on a PCX of any year... so just not sure yet.

http://www.amazon.com/Pirelli-GTS-Front ... +23+and+24

http://www.amazon.com/Pirelli-GTS-Rear- ... 0P-14%2F--
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Michelin City Grips seem to have nothing but praise heaped on them, so why chance other makes.
wilbur
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 Forza ABS
Color: The fast color

Post by wilbur »

This is what the back of my Vespa looks like currently, and basically what the back of my Forza will look like when I get one. The brake light was replaced with a LED stack from Superbright LED's, the LED's under the top case were from Hyperlites and flash 5 times then solid on when I hit the brakes, and the top case lights were a kit from ScooterWest. Other riders have told me it's too bright even from several hundred yards in broad daylight.

Oh yeah, across the middle of the top case is just some reflective yellow tape my wife found at a sporting goods store
Attachments
DSCN1070.jpg
DSCN1070.jpg (80.42 KiB) Viewed 3143 times
Image, Image
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

iceman wrote:Michelin City Grips seem to have nothing but praise heaped on them, so why chance other makes.
There is plenty of time before I need tires so maybe someone will venture out and review and show the Pirelli GTS on the PCX because DAHAM! those are more what I want to see on my bike. Can we get a vote on Pirelli for looks?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

You don't buy scooter tyres for their looks.
Unless you're a total plonker of course.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

wilbur wrote:Oh yeah, across the middle of the top case is just some reflective yellow tape my wife found at a sporting goods store
Every little bit might make the difference. I'm playing with some reflective material too... and may add a little more to the upper tail grip area that wraps the back end as well.