Maximizing your Dr. Pulley sliders

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

clemence
Regular User
Regular User

Maximizing your Dr. Pulley sliders

Post by clemence »

I just bought 2 sets of Dr. Pulley sliders thru Ebay for my Honda Vario125 ESP. Since the engine almost identical to PCX125ESP I'll share this mod to you guys.

I use a brand new stock set of variator because my old modified variator and the sliding boss already worn. I ordered DP sliders instead of modifying another set of stock variator because the stock sliders weren't too good for performance. They will flattened for as short as 5000km and reduce top speed gradually as they further worn. And to modify the grooves again....uuugh I don't think I have the patience anymore. I thought why not try DP sliders as they're cheap and easy to get.

My first try was to install all the sliders as is, no mods, stock set of variator/ramp/pulley. The stock set will give you 118-119km/h tacho reads. DP sliders instantly gives you 122km/h tacho (with my slightly worn belt). The engine revs higher as DP is 15gr compared to stock 18gr. The bike pulled harder and faster and didn't suffer reduced top speed like using round 15gr rollers. But there was an interesting "over upshift" feels started at 60km/h. I discovered later that this was caused by the rotated sliders. Yes, the sliders not only move outwards but they rotate at some point. It feels like when you shift from 3rd gear to 5th gear, skipping the 4th. But I think the cure is easy, just ride it often around that speed range and the sliders steep transition (between 1st flat face to 2nd flat face) will eventually worn down, gives you smoother transition. Or you can sand/file it.

I was happy to see that the variator and the left pulley touched each other, that means more gear ratio potential!!! I reduce the variator thickness using file by 0,2mm and the speed went up to 125km/h (static-tacho). Stock variator lefft about 4,5mm untouched high margin, after filing down 0,2mm it was reduced to 3mm. Yes, now I just use crude file instead of milling machine after I found out that the mating surface between variator and the pulley are very soft and after several "touchy" runs will perfectly mated each other.

Now, I'm still reducing the variator thickness to it's maximum potential. I'll post the result when I have the time.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Maximizing your Dr. Pulley sliders

Post by homie »

Excellent presentation, simple explanation, quality images. If ever I entertain the idea of replacing rollers with sliders this post goes in my fav's. For future reference do you know what rollers Honda puts in the 2015 PCX150 stock variator? And just to confirm my ignorance in this area, what are the signs of worn rollers or sliders? I have nearly 1k miles on a new PCX and at this rate I will experience all manner of normal wear in the future. Just curious at the little advantages like rounding all edges of the steel ramp with the installation of sliders surely must get the attention of engineers at the highest levels of Honda if they ever wanted to use sliders as standard equipment (I'm assuming we get rollers off the show room floor).
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

Did anyone else notice that the sliders were installed in the wrong position? Would like to think it's just me, but that's not the way I have my sliders positioned, and not the way DR Pulley shows them installed either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kee3aQWINss
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
clemence
Regular User
Regular User

Post by clemence »

ScooterMan wrote:Did anyone else notice that the sliders were installed in the wrong position? Would like to think it's just me, but that's not the way I have my sliders positioned, and not the way DR Pulley shows them installed either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kee3aQWINss

OMG!!!! You're right Scooterman! Hahahahaha Maybe that's why I felt the "over upshift" problem!!
Now, it's 01:12 past midnight and your post make me tore the trans out

THANK YOU Scoot.

Sadly, I just finished rounding all the ramp edges and record 129km/h using my wrong positioned sliders 8((
Last edited by clemence on Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

You guys scare me now... I'm out!
clemence
Regular User
Regular User

Post by clemence »

A thing to remember: Always stare (not just look) at the manual guide including the picture of anything prior of installation o_O o_O

homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

I wish you luck with cool stuff like this... I don't think its for me as I might be STARING at my engine along side the road.
clemence
Regular User
Regular User

Post by clemence »

homie wrote:Excellent presentation, simple explanation, quality images. If ever I entertain the idea of replacing rollers with sliders this post goes in my fav's. For future reference do you know what rollers Honda puts in the 2015 PCX150 stock variator? And just to confirm my ignorance in this area, what are the signs of worn rollers or sliders? I have nearly 1k miles on a new PCX and at this rate I will experience all manner of normal wear in the future. Just curious at the little advantages like rounding all edges of the steel ramp with the installation of sliders surely must get the attention of engineers at the highest levels of Honda if they ever wanted to use sliders as standard equipment (I'm assuming we get rollers off the show room floor).
I'm sorry if I scare you Homie :lol:
Thx to ScooterMan, he pointed my miss. That's what friends are for
Back to your question. I just took a pic of my worn rollers. I sometimes ride next to beaches, and got some sands sucked into my pulley case. As you can see it's not a good addition to the engine

No easy way to determine if your rollers are worn. Sometimes it's a vibration during "shifting" or in other case noisy variator during idling. "shifting" speed is the speed when you can hear the engine revs relative flat but the speed climb up. Aso the top speed could reduced. But the majority of top speed reduction is a sign from worn belt. During servicing the mechanic should inspect your variator though, just take a look at it. No rollers are free from flat spot after normal run. The rollers actually slide instead of rolling. Dirt and dust worsen things too. Manufacturer like Honda gives tolerance of 1mm below standard diameter before the roller needs to be replaced. In my case, its approx. 10.000km
clemence
Regular User
Regular User

Post by clemence »

What a night!! I remember I usually did this when I was still in college. Being busy in the garage until morning.
Tore down the pulley case, took some pics, clean everything, replace (with right position this time) the sliders, re-install everything back to place (I didn't even use the torque wrench, forgot where I put those thing), put the jacket & helmet, and as quietly as possible sneak out from the neighbourhood.....
Finally, I was stopping in front of a bus station next to a highway. This is the best place to rev the engine without being hit by the sleeping people. Surprisingly, the top static tacho speed remains the same, 129km/h!
The bike acceleration was slower compared to when I installed it wrong. But this time the bike ran without a glitch, smooth and no vibration. A quick run to the nearest flat and empty segment of the road and I got 122km/h easily. This could be higher at my favourite spot. Let's keep it for tomorrow.

Me, my bike, and the balinese statue in front of an empty bus station.

Just to give you a better picture of where I test my bike. You can see the tool way near my place. But I don't recommend you to use it for top speed test, the wind is too strong, let alone the bumpy asphalt!

And finally, the movie!!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_-Da3 ... sp=sharing
If you can't view the video using google default player, just download it first and use your media player to watch it from your PC
clemence
Regular User
Regular User

Post by clemence »

To summarize things:

- Dr. Pulley slider is my choice for a quick fix. It gives you minimal effort without the need to modify the variator. Modifying the variator is a time consuming job and without a CNC would easily results in different roller grooves contour, and this means vibration. For $22/set it's cheap.
- As a drop in mod, DP sliders can only gain better acceleration plus minor extra top speed (118km/h stock rollers vs. 122km/h DP sliders). The variator and the pulley end faces limits the movement of the sliders thus limits the high range.
- To further gain the potential a simple mod by milling down the end face of the variator is a must. It's simple and even one can do it carefully using only coarse flat file followed by sandpaper (with proper basic filing technique). With this a 130km/h static top speed is achievable (my belt is slightly worn) with no loss in acceleration.
- Always STARE at everything the manual prints!!! Don't repeat my mistake ;)

I have no relation to Dr. Pulley nor get any material benefits from this post. No animals were harmed during the modification, just some spare parts.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Amazing!
link me to a set for my scoot and I will get some on order for a cold, cold Chicago winter night.
clemence
Regular User
Regular User

Post by clemence »

homie wrote:Amazing!
link me to a set for my scoot and I will get some on order for a cold, cold Chicago winter night.
Go search in Ebay. There are plenty of Dr. Pulley sellers there. I bought mine from Autotech355. You might want to take a look at www.drpulley.info for better understanding of what they do.
I use 15gr (stock was 18gr). If you need better acceleration try lighter sliders but not too far from your stock roller weight for base experiment, and work from there. I don't know the weight of stock PCX150's roller, some say it's 15gr, other say it's 18gr. What I really know is Indonesian PCX125 is using 18gr.
Based from my experiments, 15gr and 18gr with standard contra spring won't hurt top speed, they're heavy enough to move outwards. I have never played with anything lighter than those. But if you weight less than 70kg and fuel economy is your concern, keep the weight to heavier sliders. Some people mix the sliders with different weights to achieve the characteristic of their liking. In my opinion uniform weights still the best for rollers/sliders longevity because heavier weights will thrown outside faster and press the ramp harder than lighter one, thus, wear faster.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

well I got to hand it to ya... Chief says you might be falling off the globe over in Indonesia town but you're coming thru loud and clear in pictures and text.

nice work
clemence
Regular User
Regular User

Post by clemence »

:D :D Thx man.
When you get it done, please share the result here.
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

clemence wrote:
homie wrote:Amazing!
Go search in Ebay. There are plenty of Dr. Pulley sellers there.

No need to search E-bay. Here in the states you can get a set for about $30.

http://www.partsforscooters.com/169-259 ... er_Weights

I have had a set of the 13g weights installed for the past 6 months. They work great.
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Slickvic wrote:Here in the states you can get a set for about $30.

http://www.partsforscooters.com/169-259 ... er_Weights
I have had a set of the 13g weights installed for the past 6 months. They work great.
well done... now to find out if the variator in your 2013 PCX125 is the same as the current stock 2015 PCX150
buddy1976
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by buddy1976 »

well done... now to find out if the variator in your 2013 PCX125 is the same as the current stock 2015 PCX150[/quote]

Most likely, they are all the same up to the 2013. i have a 2011 malossi multivar in my 2013 pcx 125 esp and it fits and works very well indeed!
Honda forza 125 2019
Malossi multivar 2000 with 8.5gr rollers
Yellow malossi contra spring
Malossi delta clutch and bell
Malossi special kevlar belt
K and n air filter
Akrapovic exhaust
BC BCTX7L-FP-S LiFePO4 Battery

Honda Pcx 125 esp 2012 uk model
Malossi Multivar 10.5g rollers
Malossi White Contra Spring
Malossi yellow clutch springs
Daytona reinforced belt
ADVANCEPro Large Diameter Drive Face
ADVANCEPro PCX125 Fi High Rigidity Bearing Slider
DNA Performance air filter
Removed air box flange
Removed seat hump
Ermax+25 windshield
clemence
Regular User
Regular User

Post by clemence »

If you plan to buy in large quantity ebay is still my best buy, for only $22/set with 7 days delivery (all types). But $30/set off the shelf instantly is not bad at all. Lighter sliders can be filled with epoxy and then drilled (make sure you drill it center) to fine tune the final weight. Heavier sliders can be drilled though this route is harder to do. Most epoxy density's is around 2,6 - 2,8 gr/cm^3. I swear to JBweld for this job.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

I use 12gm DrPulley sliders in my PCX150 and it now pulls at 7,800-8,000 rpm.
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=600
mikelx5
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mikelx5 »

great explanation but some food for thought dont make that belt go too low (cough cough yumi with sliders cough cough) or you will hit the back of the case if you notice you dont have much room on the clutch to go out too far without rubbing.
DISOBEDIENCE CREW