Maximizing your Dr. Pulley sliders

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

clemence
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Maximizing your Dr. Pulley sliders

Post by clemence »

sendler2112 wrote:Are you sure the pulley halves will really be touching on an otherwise stock vario after the milling? Did the belt wear track on them move up after you milled them? I ask because I had understood that the rollers in the ramps were the actual stop of pulley travel. And this is why DrPulley sliders create an increase in top speed at redline when installed. Because they are thinner in the area of the stop so they can move the pulley farther than the rollers could.
PLease read and view my post more carefully, it's all explained. Including the wear trace etc...
No, after you put DP, it won't stop the pulley from moving inward (by the slider). The stopper of the movement will be the halves end. The easiest way to prove it is just to install it without any modification first and see whether I'm right or wrong.
After you install DP without filing anything you will notice that the pulley touched. It's a risk free installation. If you feel that you need more top end then you can mill/file it down, otherwise just leave it intact. ;)
nribeiro
Regular User
Regular User

Post by nribeiro »

I understand the concept of it. I was thinking that this is the dame as milling the vario boss but no.
This method allows us to have more top end and not losing acceleration and acceleration from stop.
It's even better this mod so we can install even slightly less grams to have even more acceleration.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

It's hard to see from the photo if the belt has moved out closer to the edge since you don't have many miles on the modification yet but the black marks on the fresh filing looks like the pulley halves are still touching. I will try it Monday. I have 12gm DrPulley sliders installed and I gained 3 mph top speed with them but can still hit the rev limiter on the flat at 67 mph so could use a little more.
clemence
Regular User
Regular User

Post by clemence »

You can compare the stock variator "trace" picture using my other post:
http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3069
clemence
Regular User
Regular User

Post by clemence »

nribeiro wrote:I understand the concept of it. I was thinking that this is the dame as milling the vario boss but no.
This method allows us to have more top end and not losing acceleration and acceleration from stop.
It's even better this mod so we can install even slightly less grams to have even more acceleration.
Right on spot! ;)
nribeiro
Regular User
Regular User

Post by nribeiro »

How many time this will take to do? I will not use my pcx today or tomorrow so I have time to finish it? And its safe to file until the low part of the pulley mark? I already broke one Malossi cause of this kind of mods.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

clemence wrote:You can compare the stock variator "trace" picture using my other post:
http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3069
So now I have read through both threads again. The other thread shows a vario with radical hand machining of the ramps to get more speed out of round rollers but this thread shows that DP sliders will move a pulley with a filed inner edge and stock ramps all the way to touching. Great to know. I will try it tomorrow. Even if the sliders had come to the stops on the ramps before the pulleys touched, it would be very easy to take a little material off of the control surface of the sliders to let them move farther. Much easier than machining the ramps.
clemence
Regular User
Regular User

Post by clemence »

nribeiro wrote:How many time this will take to do? I will not use my pcx today or tomorrow so I have time to finish it? And its safe to file until the low part of the pulley mark? I already broke one Malossi cause of this kind of mods.
- Take off the variator, belt, etc... 10minutes
- Measuring, filing, sanding, cleaning, etc... 2hours
- Put in the DP sliders into the variator...30 seconds
- Replace the mod back to the bike...12 minutes (got to squeeze the driven pulley)

All done without impact wrench. If you have one it will save you some more minutes. Let the engine cool first, and don't forget to use threadlocker liquid.
Duggle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 - 150
Color: black

Post by Duggle »

Urbanfreestyle wrote:Thanks for the information, i'll have a hunt on the interwebs to find out a) how to fit them and b) where to buy them in the UK cheap.
:)
I bought 15g which is the same as stock on the 150 but theoretically should give a performance increase just because of the fact that the sliders can go farther in each direction. I'm going to buy some 13g sliders and try them next to see what the difference is.

I had never broken open the case before and simply followed this video, super easy.

When you put the sliders in be careful, take a good look at the pictures to make sure you give them the correct orientation.
nribeiro
Regular User
Regular User

Post by nribeiro »

It's already done.
Let's see tomorow when I test cause today I'm not in the mood...
I did not measure. Filed to the low mark of the belt and done.
I did notice that the belt didn't travel all the vario so... I hope that this mod will work.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

nribeiro wrote:It's already done.
Let's see tomorow when I test cause today I'm not in the mood...
I did not measure. Filed to the low mark of the belt and done.
I did notice that the belt didn't travel all the vario so... I hope that this mod will work.
What/which vario did you mod?
nribeiro
Regular User
Regular User

Post by nribeiro »

The stock one! Lets see if it will do anything to top speed since I installed it with Dr. Pulley.
JCosta was great downhill but in general I'm loving riding with Dr. Pulley sliders.
nribeiro
Regular User
Regular User

Post by nribeiro »

So... Liked it cause it gave me a litle more top end but no that much. Mine was toping out litle before 120 and now stop right on 120. The diference was I didnt lost the other things and after downhilling at 120 it didnt drop to much speed.
Aproved!
clemence
Regular User
Regular User

Post by clemence »

nribeiro wrote:So... Liked it cause it gave me a litle more top end but no that much. Mine was toping out litle before 120 and now stop right on 120. The diference was I didnt lost the other things and after downhilling at 120 it didnt drop to much speed.
Aproved!
How fast was the static speed? To validate your mod you need to compare the road speed to the static speed. Don't forget to check both pulley halves too. Are they touching or not? Mine is still touching even after 0,7mm shavings. I don't know if the PCX125 vario design differ or not. My Vario125 got 129km/h static but in flat road with no wind (back or front) the most stable speed is 120-122km/h (tucking off course). But Vario125 weights only 112kg (+ 176cm/62kg skinny me + approx. 6kg fuel, coolant, and oil). I believe PCX125 weight more than mine
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

nribeiro wrote:So... Liked it cause it gave me a litle more top end but no that much. Mine was toping out litle before 120 and now stop right on 120. The diference was I didnt lost the other things and after downhilling at 120 it didnt drop to much speed.
Aproved!
120 kph seems to be about as fast as a stock engined PCX125 can go even with variator mods. This is the balance point between power and wind resistance. At least now you are not bouncing off the rev limiter at that speed so you can ride all day long at 110 and still get somewhat decent fuel economy since you have lowered the rpms.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

clemence wrote: But Vario125 weights only 112kg (+ 176cm/62kg skinny me + approx. 6kg fuel, coolant, and oil). I believe PCX125 weight more than mine
Vehicle weight has no effect on flat road top speed as wind resistance and aerodynamics are by far the dominant factors.
clemence
Regular User
Regular User

Post by clemence »

sendler2112 wrote:
clemence wrote: But Vario125 weights only 112kg (+ 176cm/62kg skinny me + approx. 6kg fuel, coolant, and oil). I believe PCX125 weight more than mine
Vehicle weight has no effect on flat road top speed as wind resistance and aerodynamics are by far the dominant factors.
....yes I agree to that, if you have relatively long road to test for comparison. I said that because if the vario were the same then he should get approx. 130km/h in static. Lighter bike/rider gets to top speed faster. In my cases, my bike couldn't get more than 115km/h when my friend whose weight 87kg test it (not enough high RPM torque). The test were limited to less than 2km. That's why I needed the static speed test to see if the mod is working. Bali has very few long (save) straights. And no tachometer in hand too =(.

120km/h without tucking is very good. I believe PCX125 has better aerodynamic than Vario125
nribeiro
Regular User
Regular User

Post by nribeiro »

If I understand you right static means in center stand?
If yes I allways top out in the road the same as static so...
When I got my JCosta variator I milled the variator boss a few mm and it only gave me 2 km/h.
My only concern about this mod is at idle. I saw in the variator a space of about 3 or 4 mm in the outer edge. Could be wrong but even now with your mod probably it is not going all the way in the variator.
Downhill with my modded JCosta was 132 km/h.
clemence
Regular User
Regular User

Post by clemence »

nribeiro wrote:If I understand you right static means in center stand?
If yes I allways top out in the road the same as static so...
When I got my JCosta variator I milled the variator boss a few mm and it only gave me 2 km/h.
My only concern about this mod is at idle. I saw in the variator a space of about 3 or 4 mm in the outer edge. Could be wrong but even now with your mod probably it is not going all the way in the variator.
Downhill with my modded JCosta was 132 km/h.
Hmmm, I don't understand what you mean. Did you mean the unused space?
nribeiro
Regular User
Regular User

Post by nribeiro »

Right. I'll test now for some days and I will see how much space is left on the vario. If read correct and I already filed to the maximum what could I do more?
By the way, where the sliders are it's necessary to make the mod you did in the other post?