Maximizing your Dr. Pulley sliders

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Re: Maximizing your Dr. Pulley sliders

Post by sendler2112 »

.5 mm removed from the inner stop might possibly make the belt move up 3mm. The change is not linear since you are squeezing the belt up between two pulley halves.
clemence
Regular User
Regular User

Post by clemence »

nribeiro wrote:Right. I'll test now for some days and I will see how much space is left on the vario. If read correct and I already filed to the maximum what could I do more?
By the way, where the sliders are it's necessary to make the mod you did in the other post?
I use the DP sliders just recently, less than 2 months. I did the other modification before I had DP, because aftermarket variators are too expensive for my working bike :D . Speding USD200-300/variator/year is not my option. In this dusty and hot condition, the variator wears very fast. My modified variator lasted 1,5 year with almost 2 mm wear at the outer most diameter. And for it was handmade, there's slight vibration at medium speed because of the mismatch of the ramp's depth and profile.

The modified variator pushed the belt to about 1mm outside the drive pulley. Maybe that's the culprit of my last broken belt during 90km/h. Now I like to leave 1-2mm unused space for safety margin at the outer diameter. The halves WILL shave themselves because of constant "punching"when they touch each other. I knew about this because I didn't file it too flat in the first place, but when I checked it, it became perfectly mated to each other. It's a good idea to put a very thin steel shim between the halves once you get the correct thickness. The variator's aluminum is very soft
clemence
Regular User
Regular User

Post by clemence »

Just curious about it. It's been 28 days since I first install it.
Here's the pictures:

I bought this for back up. Wondering if PCX125 using the same belt as this
clemence
Regular User
Regular User

Post by clemence »

I guess, Vario125 is using taller gearing than PCX125 because even in standard state the engine just barely touch the rev limit at 110-112km/h. With modified vario my bike never gets to the limit RPM unless in static center stand speed test (130km/h).
I know that Vario125 built for economy and the stock fuel consumption of 55km/liter is indeed amaze me.
I'll go check the gear ratio when I get the spare part catalogue later
nribeiro
Regular User
Regular User

Post by nribeiro »

So I modified other stock vario that came with my PCX. And... I dont aprove.
At 80km/h more less the rpm drops a litle and the top speed is less than the other stock vario that I only filed in the center. It doesn't keep the rpm high until 100 km/h as the other. So in my opinion modifying the ramps where the sliders are isn't good. At least with Dr. Pulley.
I'll change for now to the other vario and if i want more top speed I have to buy a Polini cause JCosta rev's a lot riding slow...
Maybe I have also a worn variator fan pulley cause when I had Malossi belt with stock vario with milled boss and Dr. Pulley sliders I saw 128km/h in the tacho so... I'll have to buy another pulley and a Malossi belt just to see.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

clemence wrote:I bought this for back up. Wondering if PCX125 using the same belt as this
I will be interesting to see if a new belt over rides the top of the pulley now that you have shaved the stop. A new belt can be .4mm wider than a used one.
nribeiro
Regular User
Regular User

Post by nribeiro »

Just to inform that after some km with the mod the top speed went up more 2km/h.
So my PCX at first was toping out at 118 them I filed the center of the vario and went to 120 and now the needle stop's at 122 or the next mark after 120. Nice!!! :D
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Looks like yes on the belt for the PCX125. My PCX150 is the 701.

http://www.bike-parts-honda.com/microfi ... R-601.html
nribeiro
Regular User
Regular User

Post by nribeiro »

I don't know if it's the mod or not but I'm having issues. When I start the scooter and wanna go the engine rev's and the scooter starts moving but slow and no power at all. Then I pull more and sudenly it's like unlock and goes with power. In my opinion probably the belt it's locked between the pulleys...
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

nribeiro wrote:I don't know if it's the mod or not but I'm having issues. When I start the scooter and wanna go the engine rev's and the scooter starts moving but slow and no power at all. Then I pull more and sudenly it's like unlock and goes with power. In my opinion probably the belt it's locked between the pulleys and malossi clutch bell...
Does it do when it's cold? Mine used to do that, but a combination of clutch springs raising engagement to 4k rpm and a small washer between the pulleys eliminated that. When I installed the Malossi delta clutch with blue 3.5k rpm springs and a bell, that hesitation went away completely, mainly because the unit wasn't bedded in yet and was slightly slippy on engagement. Made the acelaration of the mark really good but as the pads bedded in a bit, the lag came back but not the loss of power feel like everyone experiences with their pcx. I put it down to the clutch bell friction for the cold loss of power as malossi bell eliminated that. I've tried NYC bell that I got which is 60g lighter but found it horrible on initial takeoff, always loss of power with it when cold..Since I've installed harder springs in the clutch to 4k rpm ( stock clutch/Polini blue spring) , takeoff is awesome no lags any more at all..
So I'll sumarize...malossi maxi wing bell, malossi red clutch springs or Polini blue ones and your takeoff will be awesome..
nribeiro
Regular User
Regular User

Post by nribeiro »

That's the problem... It's more when cold but it didn't do before the milled variator center mod. I have the Polini blue contra spring.
I think I might milled too much... I only milled to the start of the belt mark but probably it's too much.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

nribeiro wrote:That's the problem... It's more when cold but it didn't do before the milled variator center mod. I have the Polini blue contra spring.
I think I might milled too much... I only milled to the start of the belt mark but probably it's too much.
Im thinking the vario mod plays very little with your issue and I would look at upgrading the clutch springs to blue Polini's or red Malossi. I preffer Polini as they are just a bigger spring so will probably perform and last longer then smaller Malossi one's. That should sort it...
nribeiro
Regular User
Regular User

Post by nribeiro »

It started to do it now so... Probably belt? I have an reinforced one at home. Installed I have the stock one so...
After your post as I came to work I felt the scooter sluggish thru the rpm range...
I have to check everything again and try other belt.
clemence
Regular User
Regular User

Post by clemence »

I've been experiencing the same problem too. And I know exactly what's the culprit in my case....it's the grease in the bell....
I noticed it after approx. 10.000km. Started as hesitation in moving from stop, if I wack the throttle hard the bike feels like spinning the engine while pressing the clutch and then take off fast. This happens occasionally, mostly after running the bike for more than half an hour in highway above 110km/h. Everytime this happen I always found the three centrifugal clutch shoes sticky by grease that was seeping from the inner oil seal of the driven pulley. I might use wrong grease (too thin or just wrong type of it) or the seal is worn. After a blast with brake cleaner and wipe the grease off the bell, the problem went away (for several days). Now I rarely do it anymore, I just open the throttle a bit soft and it doesn't bug me no more.
I think I need to use original or thicker grease or just replace the worn seals next time.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

I had that problem with my new pcx within the inital 600 mile use - throttle did not seem to move the scoot as normal pulling away from lights which was dangerous, and I had a burning smell. Dealer did nothing and ignored the fact I said it was intermittent. It seems to have gone away now. I always thought it was something to do with the CVT area - belt, clutch or such - maybe grease in the gubbins?
nribeiro
Regular User
Regular User

Post by nribeiro »

Coming from work I tried to feel the scooter and I did hear something sliping...
I'll have to check...
clemence
Regular User
Regular User

Post by clemence »

nribeiro wrote:Coming from work I tried to feel the scooter and I did hear something sliping...
I'll have to check...
take some pics too. Maybe we can help
nribeiro
Regular User
Regular User

Post by nribeiro »

I did not take pictures but I changed the belt for a reinforced one I had here. Side by side the stock one seemed to be 2mm less wider than the other. Could be the culprit here. I did also a sand paper in everything and it seemed fine for the little test I did.
But I tested with only 3 sliders! I know it's too light but it seemed to rev powerfull! Since the scooter was cold I didn't gave full throttle to see if it's fine or not. I would like to have some extra acceleration and better speed uphill. 3 of my Dr. Pulley's are 45 grams so... Afraid of the result I installed all 6 sliders.
My test road is a litle far from my home and I didn't want to pack all the tools inside my home and go test and If I didn't like I had to do everything again...
What do you thing will happen If I tried this 3 sliders only?
clemence
Regular User
Regular User

Post by clemence »

nribeiro wrote:I did not take pictures but I changed the belt for a reinforced one I had here. Side by side the stock one seemed to be 2mm less wider than the other. Could be the culprit here. I did also a sand paper in everything and it seemed fine for the little test I did.
But I tested with only 3 sliders! I know it's too light but it seemed to rev powerfull! Since the scooter was cold I didn't gave full throttle to see if it's fine or not. I would like to have some extra acceleration and better speed uphill. 3 of my Dr. Pulley's are 45 grams so... Afraid of the result I installed all 6 sliders.
My test road is a litle far from my home and I didn't want to pack all the tools inside my home and go test and If I didn't like I had to do everything again...
What do you thing will happen If I tried this 3 sliders only?
The sliders will wear twice faster. You put double the pressure on each slider. You'd get better result using 6 lighter sliders. But using only three sliders is common (temporary) practice to see any improvement benefits using lighter weights.
nribeiro
Regular User
Regular User

Post by nribeiro »

Sure and I know that. I have to test better some day.
Other thing I've saw was the clutch pulley's are a lot black. Probably is also the culprit but i don't have the 39mm socket to disassemble the clutch and give it a good clean.
In the last hour I changed the oil. Let's see how it would perform from now on.