Maximizing your Dr. Pulley sliders

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Re: Maximizing your Dr. Pulley sliders

Post by sendler2112 »

So you put on a belt that was 2mm too narrow?
clemence
Regular User
Regular User

Post by clemence »

The rear clutch is made from steel and the colour is somewhat black from the factory. It is normal. But if the pulley and or the bell is bluing it's the sign of slippage. You just need a 19mm socket wrench to clean the clutch shoes and the bell. I used brake cleaner with good results.
nribeiro
Regular User
Regular User

Post by nribeiro »

I know its 19 to remove it from the scooter but the big nut to disassemble to chance contra spring its 39 I believe.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

My 2013 PCX150 has 16,000 miles on the original belt and vario. I have had 12gm DrPulley sliders in it for 13,000. I pulled it apart to try the pulley filing mod. There was plenty of virgin metal on the outer edge of the pulleys but also quite thicker where no wear had occurred leaving a ridge. I tried to polish the edge down a bit but didn't hold much hope the belt would be able to climb past it. It is interesting to see how much wear was on everything except the sliders which other than a slight coating of metal on the bottom surface, look like they would measure as new. There was wear on the pulley surface from the belt of course. And the belt was now only 20.9mm which is under limit and just showing some cracks in the folds. But top speed was still exactly the same as it was at 3,000 miles when I first put the sliders in so I haven't had any reason to suspect it might be time for a change. Even the ramps have some obvious wear. So did the inner stop portion of the pulley. Strange that I never started to lose any top speed at redline.
It took most of the filing, down toward the end of the low range belt travel mark to even touch the indented area where the stops had been rubbing. I took it almost all the way to the low range mark. I did gain 2 mph. Up to 69mph and it still redlines at 9,600 rpm. But I think the belt travel is probably hanging up on the ridge at the outside of the pulleys. And the sliders on the wear in the ramps also. I think this is a great mod for newer parts and could give quite a bit of added top speed to any PCX that didn't have as much wear on everything. I will just ride it out for the rest of the fall until the snow pushes me back into the car, and then start over with new parts in the spring. Or maybe an aftermarket variator. 75 mph top speed and 70 mph cruise would be nice for those days when I want to travel on the super highway.
clemence
Regular User
Regular User

Post by clemence »

I had the same problem too when I tried my first DP sliders and the mod - ridged worn pulleys. I kept using the worn pulleys for some km. When I change to new pair, the top speed increase by a bit. New pulleys should be easier to the belt's life because ridged pulley would make the belt slide harder over the ridge thus, making it slip at the transition.
I'm thinking to hard anodize my next pulley, any opinion?
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Get yourself Advance Pro outer pulley-14 degree face. That'll give you more top end and better speed everywhere. It's only $25 from webike plus shipping.
nribeiro
Regular User
Regular User

Post by nribeiro »

After belt change 130!!! Awsome! The stock Honda belt with only 1000km lost 2mm...
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

My original Honda belt is worn only 1.1mm after 16,000 miles.
clemence
Regular User
Regular User

Post by clemence »

nribeiro wrote:After belt change 130!!! Awsome! The stock Honda belt with only 1000km lost 2mm...
Did you really type 1000km (one thousand kilometers) or was it 10.000km?
You should check the whole pulley system then. It's very rare to see 2mm wears with only 1000 km (625 miles) in normal unmodified 125cc engine. Unless something exteme happened inside the transmission (heat, debris, slips, etc...). Mine wears as little as 0,8mm at 22.000 km (13.750 miles). Was it slipping? extremely dirty? Or do you usually whack open the throttle hard from stop?
nribeiro
Regular User
Regular User

Post by nribeiro »

"whack open the throttle hard from stop?" A lot!
clemence
Regular User
Regular User

Post by clemence »

nribeiro wrote:"whack open the throttle hard from stop?" A lot!
Well that may explains your accelerated wear then. Congratulation with the new speed! ;)
Have fun and speed safely!
I'm happy that now more people enjoying the hidden power of this combo mod. Currently I'm still busy with the LED headlight for my scooter. After that I'll go back to the engine sector. I have a new 31mm IHI turbocharger long waiting in my stash box to play with.
nribeiro
Regular User
Regular User

Post by nribeiro »

Sure I am happy but even so I want to tune or try to understand why one of my favorite PCX video I can ear by engine sound that RPM keep's the same for long until 110kph and after that it goes the rest of the RPM range and mine for example hold until 100 and then continue to the limiter. Different vario I know but...

Another thing is with this mod in the morning going home I hit in a small hill 130 and coming to work at night and big downhill and in "tuck mode" only 120!! Was a lot of wind but...
nribeiro
Regular User
Regular User

Post by nribeiro »

So I changed from 15gr to 12gr and I'm loving it!!
For now the project will stop. I think it's more than enough and I don't want to spend a lot of money to get more speed in the 125cc PCX.
I will save some money that's why I bought this litle scooter and for next year I hope I can upgrade to a Forza 300 or so.
nribeiro
Regular User
Regular User

Post by nribeiro »

Just a question to you all. I installed 12gr sliders. It's being awsome since the instalation but I think from 80 to 100kph takes more time...
I will do more tests but probably too light?
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

nribeiro wrote:Just a question to you all. I installed 12gr sliders. It's being awsome since the instalation but I think from 80 to 100kph takes more time...
From 80kph up is the range where the vario is locked all the way out so it doesn't change anything regardless of the weight you choose.
clemence
Regular User
Regular User

Post by clemence »

nribeiro wrote:Just a question to you all. I installed 12gr sliders. It's being awsome since the instalation but I think from 80 to 100kph takes more time...
My best guessing with PCX125, using 12gr at that speed range, the engine's torque is already sloping down. This engine has it's best torque curve from 2000 - 7000RPM. Beyond that it's sloping down too much and doesn't pull that hard (and fuel efficient) anymore. That's the reason why I stick with 15Gr, the best compromise between 12gr and 18 gr (stock) if your average speed range is between 40-90km/h.
Bigger engine kit tend to lower the torque curve even lower unless you improve the breathing using bigger valves, turbo, or free flow exhaust. But the original design of 125-150 PCX really limit the "mild" modification to extract more usable speed within 2000-7000RPM. You could, of course, extending or altering the torque curve to a more "sport-high RPM" style but, that really negates all the comfortable-low down-all around feels of the PCX. Some people even tried this by using 4 valves Honda sonic head or even transplant CBR150R cylinder head and block into PCX....Would that be still feasible? I don't think so
Keeping/extending the torque as flat as possible at high RPM usually will results in higher peak HP even if the max. torque produced is lower than stock.

This is the picture of stock dyno chart of PCX125 I got from googling:
http://s742.photobucket.com/user/Spy69_ ... c.jpg.html
nribeiro
Regular User
Regular User

Post by nribeiro »

I have a free flow exhaust. I liked 15gr but with 12gr and cruising around 40kph and give it throtlle the scooter its really fast to 80 but after that... On flat it's easy to go more than 110kph.
I'll probably upgrade to a Forza but...
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

nribeiro wrote:I have a free flow exhaust. I liked 15gr but with 12gr and cruising around 40kph and give it throtlle the scooter its really fast to 80 but after that...
So according to that dyno you will want to tune the weights to about 7,700 rpm. From 90kph up you will be above this rpm so even the light weights will still be locked all the way out. Maybe it feels slower there only because your PCX actually is quicker up to 80. And the gearing is slightly longer when using sliders which move the vario a little farther than rollers to give you a few extra kph of top speed at redline.
nribeiro
Regular User
Regular User

Post by nribeiro »

Since I can not be stopped I need to test more things just to have an ideia of things.

What to you think if I remove for know the 12gr sliders and keep the Polini contra spring and install 17gr stock rollers? In general where the PCX will be better only whith the contra spring from Polini?

Another test is removing the Polini contra spring and keep the 12gr sliders.

Which test will be better for flats and uphill?

Thanks
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

The first thing you need is a tach.