2015 PCX 150 top speed

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Re: 2015 PCX 150 top speed

Post by sendler2112 »

See what happens I guess. Other people have done major engine mods. Pcxdemon has totally tried everything there is. I think Maddiedog would have gotten more out his build if he had went the extra mile for a fuel controller. I don't see how you can do major mods like a cam without taking the mixture way off the map. The FIcon is a cheap way of doing it but offers only coarse ranges of adjustment.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

Again, I'll freely admit that I have no clue what you're talking about with regards to the mixture and the ranges of adjustment. I'll have a talk with my dealer mechanic to see what potential issue the part might cause.

The part itself isn't in my possession yet, but I do believe there was an explicit if somewhat translated fine print stating that I couldn't cancel the order on the parts once I placed it.

"* Cancellation and/or return of this product cannot be accepted once the order has been placed."

I believe member Mgalutia88 also has this cam installed with the usual vario mods and only a FiCon2 part. He did mention not recommending the torque driver without a big bore kit, because he doesn't have enough power to take advantage of the mod, which doesn't necessarily make it sound like it would damage anything.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

The torque driver is ok to use on any bike especially if you have a real long geared vario. Having a more aggressive straight torque slot makes it easier for the rpms to rev up when you gun it at mid range speeds.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Sounds good.

Had a talk with a coworker about the camshaft, and he says it makes sense that the fuel mixture would need to be adjusted since a performance camshaft would shove more mix through the engine and running it too lean would cause misfires.

And after digging through old threads, I found a mention by Pcxdemon that the Takegawa Fi Con2 has a specific map for their product combos(i.e. the camshaft & exhaust), I would assume that addresses the issue of the broad range of adjustment if there's one already set for that particular item.

Now I just need to see if my dealer is willing to screw with the engine like that.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

The O2 sensor and the stock fuel computer can trim the mixture somewhat but it is done globally and has a limited range. Changing the cam changes the air/ rpm curve so it is not a global change. It may seem to run ok by just installing the cam but you are not really getting the best out of it and definitely not from additional major mods like a bigger displacement bore and stroke kit. I understand the appeal for putting more power into the excellent PCX package but experience has shown that you would be better off using the same amount of money just trading it for a faster bike. The new Yamaha will be very interesting once they start to hit the roads.
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

They tested the SMAX around where I live and I think they mentioned topped out downhill in a draft at 84mph (article below doesn't mention if that's PS verified or not...I highly doubt it's hitting 84mph!) It's obviously got a more aggressive tune/setup, but it also weighs more by 45lbs or so, and gets 27mpg less fuel economy. So, that's the tradeoff. Oh, and yeah, it's ugly! =P

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2014/12/ ... irst-ride/
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

Valiant wrote:Sounds good.

Had a talk with a coworker about the camshaft, and he says it makes sense that the fuel mixture would need to be adjusted since a performance camshaft would shove more mix through the engine and running it too lean would cause misfires.

And after digging through old threads, I found a mention by Pcxdemon that the Takegawa Fi Con2 has a specific map for their product combos(i.e. the camshaft & exhaust), I would assume that addresses the issue of the broad range of adjustment if there's one already set for that particular item.

Now I just need to see if my dealer is willing to screw with the engine like that.
Try the cam without the ficon, all the takegawa stuff pcxdemon had on his pcx... he found it ran better/or wasn't needed.

I have a lot of Yuminashi stuff on mine cam, tb, etc.. and only the stock ecu... I would say all my stuff has improved the pcx performance by 5mph across the board.
Probably room for improvement with a fuel controller and all that, but I don't think much more could be squeezed out of the engine.
And since there are no other scoots I like except maybe the the "possible US version of the new forza125 in a 150++ size" I will think/dream about doing a forza 300 swap on my pcx.
roadmaus
Color: Black

Post by roadmaus »

homie wrote:Stats on my 2015 since purchase;
Odometer currently 1100 miles
best mpg 114 now averaging 103-104 and gradually lessening (due to more confident handling and perhaps valves needing service)
best top speed on flat 64 - 65 mph and yes a feel a governor or perhaps some other type of limiter coming into play at top end. Could be mistaken for engine problem but I seriously doubt it. Slow down before you make the crash survivor list in my signature :lol:

currently
no issues - stock performance - very happy!

Mine stock went 65. 2015 That is on the center stand with throttle pegged on the rev limiter. If u want more speed get an NCY variator, 14g rollers and I even changed the gear in the tranny. Now 74MPH. Little to no sacrifice of takeoff or mid range. chris
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

sendler2112 wrote:The O2 sensor and the stock fuel computer can trim the mixture somewhat but it is done globally and has a limited range. Changing the cam changes the air/ rpm curve so it is not a global change. It may seem to run ok by just installing the cam but you are not really getting the best out of it and definitely not from additional major mods like a bigger displacement bore and stroke kit. I understand the appeal for putting more power into the excellent PCX package but experience has shown that you would be better off using the same amount of money just trading it for a faster bike. The new Yamaha will be very interesting once they start to hit the roads.
And that would be a very compelling argument, had I not:
A) Bought the 2015 PCX brand new from my dealer for $5,300 after an extended warranty.
B) Already bought all the aftermarket parts sans the Fi Con2.

I'm personally interested in a Yamaha V-Star 250 myself, but my left foot/ankle is still a little funky after I broke my leg, so I don't know if I'm up to gear shifting with it. There's also the fact that I had one hell of a time maneuvering my PCX between two cars in order to get it out of my parking spot, so I don't know if I'd be able to do that if the bike gets any bigger.
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

There are new autos and paddle shifters out there....
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

SECoda wrote:There are new autos and paddle shifters out there....
Auto mods seem nice, but I'm 1000% sure my dealer will milk me for all I'm worth for the bike purchase.

Besides which, it's rather amusing for me to have all these parts laying around(vario & exhaust won't be installed until tomorrow), or already paid for and on order, and I'm supposed to sell my PCX before even trying them out?

You wouldn't do that, and you know it ;) .

Besides which, I don't need it to go 80 mph, I just don't want to go for a trip to a neighboring city and end up going 47 in a 60 zone where traffic moves at 70 because of a tiny little uphill incline.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Valiant wrote: I just don't want to go for a trip to a neighboring city and end up going 47 in a 60 zone where traffic moves at 70 because of a tiny little uphill incline.
Do you have a hill that steep? The steepest long hill on a rural highway that I can find to test on is 7% and with 300 pounds on the bike I was stuck at 48 mph after the snorkel removal and drilling the exhaust. Adding a cam might make a couple mph difference and the torque slot is not a consideration in this situation. The Yamaha might be about the same as a good running PCX with a cam at 50 mph. A Forza would fly right up the hill at the speed limit at least. Or a used Yamaha Majesty 400. But they are 430 and 470 pounds. And get 70 and 55 mpgUS. Totally different bikes.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

sendler2112 wrote:
Valiant wrote: I just don't want to go for a trip to a neighboring city and end up going 47 in a 60 zone where traffic moves at 70 because of a tiny little uphill incline.
Do you have a hill that steep? The steepest long hill on a rural highway that I can find to test on is 7% and with 300 pounds on the bike I was stuck at 48 mph after the snorkel removal and drilling the exhaust. Adding a cam might make a couple mph difference and the torque slot is not a consideration in this situation. The Yamaha might be about the same as a good running PCX with a cam at 50 mph. A Forza would fly right up the hill at the speed limit at least. Or a used Yamaha Majesty 400. But they are 430 and 470 pounds. And get 70 and 55 mpgUS. Totally different bikes.
It was NOT a steep hill at all:

Skip to 48:40 for the slowdown.

I honestly couldn't figure out what was happening at first, as I thought I pushed the engine too hard and too long, and it was starting to die on me. I was considering pulling off to the side to let the engine cool down, but just kept going. It wasn't until I got past the tunnel that the speed went sharply back up and I figured "oh, must've been going uphill".

Looking carefully at the video, there's no indication whatsoever that there's an uphill incline.

It's a bit weird since my highway route to Diamond Head takes me on a steeper uphill with more wind, but I still manage to squeeze out a good 53 on the speedo. I assume that a mile long stretch of uphill is simply more straining than a quarter mile of steeper uphill.

In any case, I like my PCX from the looks to how it handles. I also figure any performance mods only adds to the value.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

It's hard to know if it is any different than any other PCX without running side by side. Maybe a long grade at full throttle is enough to raise the coolant temp to a point where the computer invokes some limiting of the ignition advance. I know what you are saying about not wanting any different bike. The PCX is a beautiful bike and is the perfect size for a solo commuter. But it just can't quite keep up on a cross country trip. The next step up in scooters is so much heavier. The only other machines that interest me right now are the 300 class motorcycles and the CBR500R. I hope the cam makes a difference for the money it will cost to get it installed. And you should know that any mods to the bike might actually take away from the resale value. If there even is such a thing. You would probably be very lucky to get $3,000 for the bike right now as it sits. And that is only because you are in Hawaii. My high mileage PCX is worth like $1,000.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

I find that curious given that:
-There isn't a huge market locally for the PCX.
-Anyone who wants a stock PCX can get one from the dealer.

Though I find it extremely unlikely I would ever sell mine without buying a new house that has its own garage first.

I wouldn't call my trip a cross country thing, I live on an island after all, and even going to the opposite end of the island only takes roughly an hour. The speed limit is 60 at most, though traffic tends to go up to 70 or so. I personally don't think there's any need for anything more powerful than a 250cc class bike, unless you're looking to see how well HPD patrols the highways :D .

Can't help but shake my head at my brother who bought a 849cc Ducati for his first bike given that he likely won't use 80% of the power that thing has.
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

Valiant, how much do you weigh? Also, when going up long grades, for peace of mind, use higher octane fuel. Higher octane fuel lowers the combustion temps by taking ever so slightly longer to burn protecting your motor from detonation. If our engine's computer is sophisticated enough to retard ignition timing under heavy loads, then higher octane fuel will also help you retain power up hills. Not night and day, but possibly noticeable. And, even if it doesn't, it's cheap isurance to precent damage from detonation. I run 89 octane in my PCX just is case since I do often carry a passenger and it can get a bit hillt here in San Diego on the freeways.

Oh, and when do we get to come and stay for free at your place on the Island? =P
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

sendler2112 wrote:It's hard to know if it is any different than any other PCX without running side by side. Maybe a long grade at full throttle is enough to raise the coolant temp to a point where the computer invokes some limiting of the ignition advance.
If this were the case, wouldn't the coolant temp warning light come on?

It was kind of the first thing I was looking for when I was considering whether or not to pull over and let the engine rest.
ScooterMan wrote:Valiant, how much do you weigh? Also, when going up long grades, for peace of mind, use higher octane fuel. Higher octane fuel lowers the combustion temps by taking ever so slightly longer to burn protecting your motor from detonation. If our engine's computer is sophisticated enough to retard ignition timing under heavy loads, then higher octane fuel will also help you retain power up hills. Not night and day, but possibly noticeable. And, even if it doesn't, it's cheap isurance to precent damage from detonation. I run 89 octane in my PCX just is case since I do often carry a passenger and it can get a bit hillt here in San Diego on the freeways.

Oh, and when do we get to come and stay for free at your place on the Island? =P
I weigh roughly 200 lbs, without the gear. I also lug around 25 lbs of chains and padlocks. So maybe 240-250 lbs with gear and luggage.

I'm honestly not sure if there's any electronic responsible for cutting down on the speed, but in the video you can literally hear the revs/rpms drop. If nothing else, it kind of sounds like me trying to ride uphill on a bicycle on the last gear and getting more and more tired as I do that o_O . So it would basically be like the belt is stuck on the final gearing and can't shift down for more power. Hopefully lighter weights plus the aftermarket exhaust would serve to help in that regard.

I also think fuel choice is a toss-up. High octane is 10% ethanol. I currently run pure gasoline at 87 octane, which should contain more energy and thus deliver more power, at least in theory. I honestly haven't noticed any better mileage with the pure gas though. I believe at the time of that recording I was already burning high octane before I noted that all octane ratings I bought at Chevron were E10 blend.

At any rate, I believe I'll postpone screwing with the engine for now. I DO happen to have multiple layers of aftermarket parts, and it'll be good to see how far you can actually push this scooter without touching the engine. It probably wouldn't do to further jack up the power if you already end up popping a wheelie every time you go WOT.

As for where to stay, we have plenty of people camping out in the local parks 8) .
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Valiant wrote:So it would basically be like the belt is stuck on the final gearing and can't shift down for more power. Hopefully lighter weights plus the aftermarket exhaust would serve to help in that regard.
Getting stuck at the highest gear ratio is a valid observation. The torque driver with the straight slots will help this. The OE torque driver has a slightly curved profile to the slots which has the effect of making it harder for the engine torque to pull the belt back up to a lower gear in the back once it has gone down to the highest ratio. The aftermarket torque driver has three choices of different angles to chose from and they are all straight slots so the gearing has the same propensity to drop down under added torque on the gearing at any speed. I believe Pcxdemon tried all three and preferred the middle set of slots.
Lighter weights will help acceleration. But at 47 mph on the stock vario you are probably close to the 8,000 rpm power peak already. You need a tach so we can see what rpm versus speed things are happening at. But if you go too light on the weights and too aggressive on the slots the trans will become too active and just rev up when applying more throttle instead of speeding up.
Improving your aerodynamic posture on the bike and installing a windscreen such as the mid Givi is the most effective way to gain top speed when the bike starts to top out in any given situation. The wide handlebars and upright position of the PCX is like a parachute.

Valiant wrote:At any rate, I believe I'll postpone screwing with the engine for now. I DO happen to have multiple layers of aftermarket parts, and it'll be good to see how far you can actually push this scooter without touching the engine. It probably wouldn't do to further jack up the power if you already end up popping a wheelie every time you go WOT.
Popping a wheelie on a PCX is all about technique. A lot of it. Any normal rider will have no worries of ever popping a wheelie on a PCX even with a full on racing build costing 1,000's in the engine.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Hmm, sounds tricky. The 2015 model especially IIRC isn't compatible with the 2013 windshields, so it's a bit hard to pick one out that'll work well.

That aside, I think I might definitely have to put aside any mods to the camshaft & FI. My dealer is charging me $600 for an oil change, to swap out the vario, the belt, and the exhaust. I honestly think it would be cheaper to buy myself the tools to do it myself.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Changing the cam probably wouldn't make that much difference anyway. I know madiedog had the same feeling we all have in that the PCX is the perfect size but needs a little more top speed so he did the full monte with a cam and a bore kit and was disappointed by how little performance was gained. if you have time to do the work yourself, the parts are cheap enough. But to pay a dealer to build an engine like that. Forget it. Especially if you want to install a fuel controller like the Bazzaz and have it tuned. You could almost buy another bigger bike and have two like he did (or four like I did).
http://www.bazzaz.net/index.php/fuel-co ... controller