LOOK at My Truck Tires, They Look Like.....

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

LOOK at My Truck Tires, They Look Like.....

Post by WhiteNoise »

CRAP! :(
Not about scooter tires, but about my Honda Ridgeline Truck tires.
I'm Worried :|

The other day I checked the tire pressure, on all four they were 2lbs low. Okay that's Normal with our cooler outdoor temps. I topped them to 32psi. When I got to the last tire I couldn't help but notice it's condition. What the Heck o_O Then I went back and looked at the other 3. Just as bad. These are BlackWall tires not dirty white walls!
image.jpg
image.jpg (230.08 KiB) Viewed 1853 times
(In Florida) Two in a half years ago, I purchased 4 Michelin Latitude Tour tires from Tire Rack online. They were delivered directly to a local shop I always used. The shop inspected, balanced and mounted them. A week later I drove to NY, a two day ride. Now, approx. 6,000 miles later and after getting them rotated they look like the photo above. Granted my truck has been parked in my driveway during that period (not garaged...my scoot's in there :P ) and in the elements. Still no excuse to look like this!

o_O I'm asking any/all of you for advice and opinions. Is this what they call Dry Rot?
Are these 4 tires dangerous? I'm Nervous driving and I have too. They're so cracked. Will the tread pull away on them? There are No slow leaks or leaks. They hold air fine. Should I contact Tire Rack or locate a Michelin Dealer here in NY? I never saw anything like this on any tire I've owned. Freaking me out!

You know what really irks me? The guys that rotated my tires last month, they never said a word about their condition. WTFrick! And....they did my NYS inspection at the same time!!! Holy Crap! Not a word! Zip! I might stop in that shop this week and say something. Tires are #1 on passing a yearly state inspection here. So....HELLO??

Thanks for reading, really appreciate it. Hug. WN
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Re: LOOK at My Truck Tires, They Look Like.....

Post by Alibally »

That would be an MOT advisory probably in the UK. If they are just starting to crack then they will probably be ok but you need to keep an eye on them. If any cords are showing them it needs replaced. I've seen worse. ;)
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014
Color: grey

Post by dergav »

not too clever looking WhiteNoise.
what age are the tyres...not when you bought them but the age of manufacture as on the wall of the tyre.
Rubber deteriorates over time even if not being used. In UK ROSPA( a National safety group) recommends that tyres over 6 years old no matter their use( even if never used) should be considered for replacement and definitely never used if over 10 years...UK legislation pending on this ( mainly due to caravan tyres).....all due to rubber deterioration.
Once saw a TV programme in UK where they tested two tyres in a lab...a split new one and a 10 year old "new" one which had never been used...the new one was fine but with the new old one chunks of rubber started flying off after a while as the rubber had gone.
wojtek_pl
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 PCX 125
Color: matt black

Post by wojtek_pl »

Those tires looks VERY old...
Regards
Wojtek
2014 Honda PCX 125
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

Check the dot code.
wilbur
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 Forza ABS
Color: The fast color

Post by wilbur »

Those are done
Image, Image
Indyglow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by Indyglow »

I had a set of tires that looked similar a few years ago on a minivan. I went to the tire place where I bought them and they said the cracking and checking had something to do with the atmosphere or ozone or something like that ( I can't remember exactly what they said----senior moment) But anyway they weren't leaking and the cracks and checks were just surface things and didn't affect the tires and wouldn't cause the tires to fail. I bought a new set anyway, even though they assured me there was nothing wrong with the old tires.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hi everyone and Big Thanks for all your input! I want to say more (what else is new, right?), but I'll be in/out all week going to hospital, and two different nursing homes. Can't go into anything at the moment, But.....I just now took another photo of the same tire showing a string of letters & numbers following the DOT (dept. of transportation) letters. According to Tire Racks website, the last four digits are the age codes.

See here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/ ... ?techid=11

Oh gosh, I gotta run. Sorry. :? I'll catch up after dinner with ya'll, promise. Please keep sharing. Thank you again :P

Gee, the tire looks good here, but don't let it fool Ya! Cracks-a-Plenty lie beyond :|
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (160.74 KiB) Viewed 1824 times
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dergav »

Others will likely know better than me but my understanding of the DOT numbers ( at least in the UK) are...first two numbers tell the month and the last two numbers the year...Not really sure what your 1X means...
Unless in the States its the other way round similar to how you write your dates?...we normally put the month before the year but I think you do the opposite....if so then this would mean its year 2000 manufacture tyre...and if so its not surprising its showing signs of cracking as it would be 14 years old.
Will be interested to see what others say who will likely know better than me.
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dergav »

If you can get the below to work...its an interesting article of age of tyres and recommendations from ROSPA in the UK

http://www.v8register.net/articles/Aged ... 231111.pdf
wojtek_pl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by wojtek_pl »

Usually first two digits are a number of week in a year marked by second pair of digits. So, for example, 0114 means first week of 2014 as a production date. But 001X ??? Never heard of it.

Please check the other side of the tire, you should have DOT + 4 digits mark there.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub ... er=2097162
http://www.barrystiretech.com/dotcoding.html
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/ ... ?techid=11
Regards
Wojtek
2014 Honda PCX 125
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dergav »

Hi wojtek_pl

apologies but totally off subject...I see you are from Poland...we are looking forward to beating you tomorrow evening!!!...hoping you are still hung over from celebrating beating Germany... well done.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

:P Wow! I logged on tonight & see all this Great help and info! Just what I needed after a crazy day.
I tip my hat to All of you!
It seems like the UK and USA follow similar decoding patterns. Just enough to understand.
All the links provided and the mention of checking "the other side" sounds promising. I could find my Date there :P but... I First have to get myself on the ground. I will bring a flashlight, wet towel, pen, paper and maybe a magnifier (in case numbers are small & dirty).
Amazing, Decoding a tire. Cool, Very interesting. "Hey, Secret Agent Man...."

Are bets in that my tires Will be old?

Do they look safe enough to Drive? I have to go back and forth to the hospital tomorrow (I'm okay, not for me). I'm hoping I get a chance to crawl underside at some point during the day.

A toast! Thanks PCX Family :P
wojtek_pl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by wojtek_pl »

Just check the other tires, maybe those are mounted differently and have DOT code visible.

dergav, I don't really care. :roll: I only watch Formula 1 .
Regards
Wojtek
2014 Honda PCX 125
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Still had no chance at getting down under to check backside (whoops :D ) of tire for DOT code. Just too busy running (on these tires). I'm so beat when I get in and it's dark. Maybe by the weekend.
I need a day off anyway to rest. Operation was a success.
Hmm..Thought: I'll hop the bed next to kin folk in hospital, grab a tube of sleepy juice and nod me head off awhile :D Nah, that's a bad idea, Been there. Bad choice. I'll just wait till this is all over.
By weekend, I am Getting Down Under to Look for me friend "DOT!!!" Lost and to be Found!!

Cheerio stallions, I shall romp on, whilst You roll-on! Toot toot, beep beep :P Play On! 8)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Got home before dark tonight and compared all 4 tires on the exposed side. All numbers/letters on them were the same DOT grouping as I posted previously. That lead me to crawling around trying to get under the truck to read the inner tire wall. (I forgot they were White Lettered tires on that side :roll:) Cool find.
Anyway, I barely got my nose past the front lower splash dam when I got snagged. No way could I slide under. Way to tight and I'm not a heavy person. Discouraged, I got up & went to the sides and rear hoping to find a clearer path. Nothing. There is no way to get my body under this truck! :x It has to go on a lift in a shop. Now my back pains me and I couldn't even complete the task. Arg!

I have the original receipt. It does not mention DOT info. I also have the sticky labels that were stuck on each tire at delivery (my shop friends saved them for me...they know me :lol:). Hmm...I Wonder if the sticky labels would have DOT info OR better yet...manufacture date? Now that's a thought? 8)
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

I have been following this WN... my Michie's are OK but my rims are Crap!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Center cap Scrapped up? :| How'd Ya do that? (Shakes head) What's the Chief say about that?!
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Chief says with a tear in his eye "white man pours half salt on earth onto Chicagoland streets, many will oxide, Florida good place to have truck"
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Excellent place. Chief's a smart man ;)
Ask the Chief if my tires have what they call...Dry Rot? I need a term to walk in the door with when I meet/greet the Michelin Man. He may look friendly on TV, but I'll be putting that to the test...soon :roll: