Speeding Letter

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015 Honda MSX
Color: Red

Speeding Letter

Post by jojo87 »

Got a letter from the Police today saying I was speeding on the 16th October at 2:38pm,
doing 44mph in a 30mph zone.....

Checked my Camera footage and went to the actual Speed Camera on that street which shows I was under 30mph,
but just checked the rest of the street and noticed a GoSafe Van, which is a Mobile Speed Camera!!!!
which I was doing 44mph as it's a bit of a hill and I have to pull the throttle a bit more,
obviously due to having to go a bit faster... and didnt notice the Van.... BUGGERED!

Also got a letter before (April 2013) about speeding, was 36mph on a 30...
did a Speed Awareness Course!...
so, looking at a fine and points now :-(

Annoying!!!!!!
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Re: Speeding Letter

Post by Steph »

Why don't they worry about cars and leave scooters alone! Sorry to hear this.
beegmouse
Regular User
Regular User

Post by beegmouse »

Easiest way to avoid fines, insurance hikes etc

Don't speed.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

When i ride i have both the gps and the speedometer going, and i watch my speed a lot, because it is quite easy to speed within the city limits due to all of the changes back and forth, such as schools, pedestrian crossings, hospitals, and subdivisions in which the speed limit drops to 25 mph....and speed traps. Even without my gps i am always aware of my speed now. When i was younger the law allowed a maximum of 2 tickets per year before your license was suspended. I think i hit the 2 every single year until i was 25 years old. Along with age comes wisdom. Just drive really cautious from now on, at least until those are off of your record.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

Man, I would hate living in the UK. I typically ride 10MPH over the speed limit, if not more. Am I a threat to society?
You bet! Because I ride a big bad scooter!!! :lol:
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

Dang! They'd be mass mailing speeding letters here in Texas. You get run over if you're not doing at least 10mph over the posted speed limit, and every other person has a big honking SUV.

I've slowed down quite a bit since my twenties. For my application for a law license, had to list every infraction I ever had, including traffic tickets. Only had speeding tickets, but had to use an extra sheet of paper to list them all!
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Bash On! wrote:For my application for a law license, had to list every infraction I ever had, including traffic tickets. Only had speeding tickets, but had to use an extra sheet of paper to list them all!
where do you even get that kind of history?
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Getting nicked for 36 in a 30 seems a little excessive.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

In Florida a Judge just made those photo tickets illegal because they are being issued by someone other than law enforcement. I am sure that will ripple through the other states. A few other states have already repealed them.

Here in Missouri where I live speeding tickets are a big joke and simply another revenue source for the attorneys and the state. You can get them repealed by paying any of a plethora of traffic attorneys. They are everywhere. They never hit your DMV record then. Basically, any regular moving violation can be "fixed". DUI maybe once.

Unless it is a school or hospital zone you can normally push 5+ mph. In fact, you can get a ticket for not going with the flow of traffic technically I guess. We are hilly so the cops always wait near the bottoms of hills for gravity to do the deed on speed.
Last edited by SECoda on Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danieljw
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: RED

Post by danieljw »

are them cameras not front facing?
Honda PCX125 - 1000miles

SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I think most cameras try to take a picture of the rear license plate. There are ways around that though and some vehicles have license plate covers that effectively block any photo.
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

"where do you even get that kind of history?"

It's been a LONG time, but got it from either the local police or the motor vehicle department. I was paranoid about a complete disclosure so made sure I had the full record.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
Kenno
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014/2015
Color: White

Post by Kenno »

Gutted! I've recently done a speed awareness course too so I'm trying to be careful but it's hard sticking to 30 all the time.
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

It's very hard sticking to 30mph, the fact that for some reason it seems really slow when riding, and in my area I think EVERYONE speeds, i'm forever trying to stick to limits with Cars up my arse!
but that 1 street, I know where the Speed Camera is on the street, and I actually looked at the GoSafe Van parked up but thought it was just a Police Van with the Officers in the House it was parked outside of,
as I didnt know they had those Mobile Speed Cameras in those sort of streets I was on, especially just off a Roundabout..
i've had too many Cars trying to get around that Roundabout too fast and having them up my arse, so I do tend to go a little faster as I come off it and due to the bit of the hill as well,
but yeah.... really annoying!
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by DAB »

I find sticking to 30 mph is easier on the PCX than any other motorcycle. Try doing it on a 1670 cc V twin. Many local roads are now 20 mph :x
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
djcat
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Black

Post by djcat »

No idea why people find it difficult to stick to a speed limit...instead of just thinking about where you can get away with it, try thinking about that child you didn´t see coming stepping out from between parked cars. If you can stop before you hit it, I bet you will be within the speed limit.
djcat
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Black

Post by djcat »

And yes, that applies to scooters, too.
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

If roads are narrow and full with cars or people, they obviously I dont speed, we have a lot of 'open' roads with just fields or big pavements either side with no cars etc so can clearly see all around you, so keeping to 30mph on those, is a bit annoying.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

In my neighborhood/subdivision the speed limit is 25 mph and there are always kids in the street and people walking their dogs. That doesn't bother one of our neighbors who has 3 kids, who also play in the street. When she leaves her house in her minivan you had better get out of her way. She drives like a maniac! I am waiting for the day to come when she hits someone playing in the street. I have seen her going around a bunch of kids walking home from the bus stop, and she didn't slow down one bit. She had to be doing 45! I have to think that she doesn't think she will ever hit anyone....until the day comes when she does. Something to think about.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »