Side stand or center stand when you park your bike?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

yak
Minister of Magic
Minister of Magic
Year: 2013
Color: black

Side stand or center stand when you park your bike?

Post by yak »

How about when you know you won't ride it for a few days? Is there an advantage to using the center stand at all times? I am talking about level surfaces.
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Re: Side stand or center stand when you park your bike?

Post by dasshreddar »

Doesn't matter..., but the 2011 models have weak center stand mounts (don't sit on the bike with the center stand down if you have a 2011 pcx, it might just break).
kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Candy Rosy Red

Post by kcpcx »

Side, usually. Sometimes center. No real pattern, here.

The only reason I use the center stand is if my garage space is tight. Makes it slightly easier to walk around the scooter if it's on the center stand. I have a small garage and a lot of crap. Another full size m/c, various bicycles, a canoe, tool boxes, workbench, etc.
'88 BMW R100RT
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Concerning breaking the C-stand mount, hard not to get on your PCX first and then push off. I doubt any of you shove off any other way.
Here is something someone brought to my attention that one doesn't think about... wind.

Like from a non-stop express o_O
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

PCX--side stand (it's a 2013 and shouldn't have center stand issues, but still ....)
BMW airhead--center stand, because it'll throw up a smoke screen upon starting the next time if left on the side stand
Kawasaki Police--side stand because it's really heavy and bulky and I haven't figured out the bike-specific trick for the center stand yet (it's new to me)

I don't think it is a good idea to push off any center stand while seated on the bike. Instead, stand beside the bike holding on to the handlebar while covering the brake. Push the bike forward to get off the stand, then immediately apply the brake to stop forward movement.
Last edited by Bash On! on Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
JoshM
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 VStrom 650

Post by JoshM »

I have no rhyme or reason when choosing side vs center. The only thing I can think of for sure that I do is park it on the center stand if I know I won't be riding for several days. If I'm out and about, or park at work, etc, it's usually on the side stand. However, I'll throw it on the center stand for no reason at times.

However, as the "someone" who advised Homie about his parking job... always face the front wheel towards the side stand for stability.
Urbanfreestyle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 (UK)
Color: Black

Post by Urbanfreestyle »

I pretty much always use side stand, however i'm away for a few days now so left my bike on it's centre stand
Honda PCX 125 ESP (Black)
Power:11.7 hp @8500 rpm, Torque:12Nm @5000rpm
Mods: LED sidelights, Yoshimura Exhaust

DEAD: 2013 Piaggio Typhoon 4 stroke 125cc (Black)
Power:9.65 HP @8500 rpm, Torque:8.2Nm @7500 rpm
Mods: Malossi Red foam filter, Hex LED Sidelights, Xenon headlights, USB charging port
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

JoshM wrote:However, as the "someone" who advised Homie about his parking job... always face the front wheel towards the side stand for stability.
Yes and thanks for that, I would be plenty pissed to find Shay Whitey laying on her side at the train station or even if a passing semi blew her down when pulled over on the highway. I now lean her steering into the side stand 8)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:
JoshM wrote:However, as the "someone" who advised Homie about his parking job... always face the front wheel towards the side stand for stability.
Yes and thanks for that, I would be plenty pissed to find Shay Whitey laying on her side at the train station or even if a passing semi blew her down when pulled over on the highway. I now lean her steering into the side stand 8)

The passing semi might be from gn2 :D
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

Side stand for most parking. Put it on the center stand to warm up the bike. If I were to park on an incline would use the center stand facing uphill.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

We use the center stand when parking in a tight space or refueling it. When it is on its center stand i straddle it and rock it forward, with its side stand down. My wife is small. She tried to take her bike off of the center stand from the side and the bike fell over. Easy to do when you are small. Now i put them on the center stand, and i am the one to take them off of it. I know that it is not good to put too much weight on the center stand, but taking it off of the center stand while straddling it is our safest bet for getting it off of it.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

I use the Side stand for very short stays anywhere.
I use the Center stand for longer stays anywhere.
I raise either stand first, before I seat myself. I move the scoot around with me on it. Whether the scoot's running or not. I feel safer in the saddle.
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I agree. I feel safer handling the bike from the saddle. When I am parking the bikes beside each other, head to toe, I can manage it better while in the saddle. I have had friends with larger scooters drop theirs while trying to mover them from the side. There is more bulk to them than you realize, and it doesn't take much to throw them off balance. I felt bad for my friend who dropped his 500 pound scooter while trying to move it. Very upsetting.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
wojtek_pl
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 PCX 125
Color: matt black

Post by wojtek_pl »

Center stand. VERY rarely side one. PCX is light so parking it on center stand is easy and not an issue.
Regards
Wojtek
2014 Honda PCX 125
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

Center stand always. We can get some freak winds here on occasion. Plus I find it's much harder to forget to put the stand up before riding off :D . I typically roll the PCX off the stand before mounting it, usually because I have to move it around from the side before I can be in any position to squeeze the throttle and not smack into something.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

When out and about side stand, when parking overnight centre stand.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

Centre stand in the garage, either when out, depending on the terrain (sloping, soft ground etc.) Always take off the centre stand before starting, manily because of duck's disease, (my bum is too close to the ground) :D :D
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

JohnL wrote:Centre stand in the garage, either when out, depending on the terrain (sloping, soft ground etc.) Always take off the centre stand before starting, manily because of duck's disease, (my bum is too close to the ground) :D :D
As my old grandad used to say "no matter how big or small you are your legs always reach your bum"
FritzPinguin
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Red

Post by FritzPinguin »

I always have a bad feeling about the center stand. For me, it is too easy to push it from the stand, especially if the front wheel is down a few inches - above a drain for example. I fear the bike will jump down on it's own. I use CS only for long time parking to take the weight off the tyres. When filling up, I don't put it on the stand, I prefer to sit on it and keep it between the knees.
Bike history: Germany: Staiger 50cc 2-stroke, BMW 250 (from 1952, my age), Honda Dax ST70, Honda CB 125 (Twin), Honda CB 750, Kawa Z400j
Thailand: Kawa Zephyr 400, Honda Wave 110 S, Kawa ZX130, PCX 150 (as far as I can remember)
typhon2222
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011 PCX 125
Color: Red

Post by typhon2222 »

Center stand, all the time. Just force of habit: my first (and still most frequently ridden) scooters are wee Honda Metropolitans, which have no side stand. :)
SCOOTS
Now: 2013 Honda PCX 150 / 2011 Honda PCX 125 / 2014 Honda Metro / 2014 Honda Metro
Before: 2015 Yamaha SMAX / 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125 / 2006 Yamaha Vino 50 / 2013 Honda Metro

WOOTS
1988 Volkswagen Westfalia full camper