Mobius vs. Go Pro? - Helmet or Bike Mount?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Mobius vs. Go Pro? - Helmet or Bike Mount?

Post by SECoda »

We went for a scenic ride today (70 F) in the foothills of the Ozarks here in Missouri. My buddy has a 2014 Honda Grom but he mounted a Mobius standard lens 1080P 30FPS camera on his helmet. Here is a clip from it. At one of our stops someone on a BMW had a Go Pro mounted in front of the windshield. Since Target now has the Go Pro for $129 and the Mobius is about $90, the decision is a bit tougher. I like being able to turn my head with the helmet cam. That said, maybe the image is more stabile on the bike mount. The Mobius is tiny and not noticeable on top of his helmet with Velcro. The Go-Pro plus mount seems too bulky for a helmet.

Which is best and why? Are there better camera choices for the same $$$? Which mount is best? Here is the Mobius helmet mount clip my buddy did mainly of my PCX unedited. He ran out of card space. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRLVoBh ... e=youtu.be
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Mobius vs. Go Pro? - Helmet or Bike Mount?

Post by homie »

AWESOME... pick me up couple gallons shine next time. Hey what cam was your buddy operating? I need to look into some kind of helmet cam.
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

That's funny - we were trying to figure out where all of these people got the money for the huge fancy houses we saw all over and on significant acreage in many cases out in the boons. Drugs and moonshine?

Mobius on Amazon.com for $90.
http://www.amazon.com/Mobius-Action-Cam ... B00DP1WYD2
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

That is a great solution for helmet cam... I want one!
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

It works great and the price is right. 80 minutes recording time he says. Oh when you view it select 1080P on Youtube. There is an obvious clarity difference.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

SECoda wrote:Oh when you view it select 1080P on Youtube. There is an obvious clarity difference.
and it looked like he had it inside the helmet o_O the ease of use and compact design... I had no idea. I have to order a pinlock so I'm thinking mini cam too right now. Or maybe I wait until this thread warms up with some other cool options so no buyers remorse :lol:
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

He had the shield up on his modular helmet. The little camera was on top.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

It says at the amazon site that it doesn't have image stabilization. That might be a problem on little scooters.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Yes - for under $90 a HD camcorder that weights 39 grams is hard to find with stabilization. :) In reality, mounted correctly they look pretty good. Did you view the short clip I posted? That was only using a bit of Velcro tape. They run these on RC stuff a lot. The cameras are available in standard and wide angle lenses. The wide angle supposedly appears a bit steadier but I like the undistorted standard lens better.

This clip is of a quick and dirty mount that could be improved slightly to minimize vibration/shakiness but it's not bad IMO.
Mel46 wrote:It says at the amazon site that it doesn't have image stabilization. That might be a problem on little scooters.
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

There is also software stabilization after the fact if necessary and I think even Youtube provides some ( but I don't think it is).
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

SECoda wrote:There is also software stabilization after the fact if necessary and I think even Youtube provides some ( but I don't think it is).
I was just looking at the users reviews on firmware and programs you can DL for the Mobius and apparently this is a lot of bang for the buck. I'm still liking it :D cool market niche they have made for themselves. You mention two choices of Mobius models?
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Standard vs wide lens.

http://vimeo.com/72618045
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Price shopping now. My wife said since I went and bought myself a Forza too the Mobius is my Christmas present - enjoy. :lol: $75 after shipping to $90 seems the going rate but some are not in stock. These things may get scarce by Black Friday.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

LOL I just did the same thing, Honey you were asking for a list GO GET THIS TODAY! and my pinlock.
Only one wide angle left on Amazon... doesn't say how many standard ones left.
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I ordered this one with the 32GB Kingston card.
http://www.amazon.com/Mobius-ActionCam- ... otm+mobius

This is where the Grom guy ordered. (Novotm) His son bought the wide angle from the same Amazon/Novotm.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I think i have a question that is what many wonder about. I looked at the sample video you provided but i didnt see what the video looks like while you are riding. I have a camera at home that is a standard point and shoot. It has image stabilization but jumps all over the place if i mount it on the bike and record while riding. I am thinking that mountintg it on my helmet would be the best solution, but i didn't see an example to determine if that would work. Does it record without a lot of jitter from your helmet while you ride?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Mel46 wrote:I think i have a question that is what many wonder about. I looked at the sample video you provided but i didnt see what the video looks like while you are riding. I have a camera at home that is a standard point and shoot. It has image stabilization but jumps all over the place if i mount it on the bike and record while riding. I am thinking that mountintg it on my helmet would be the best solution, but i didn't see an example to determine if that would work. Does it record without a lot of jitter from your helmet while you ride?
you missed the lead video

You can tell YT to show in 1080, helmet is where this would go or I will mount to other parts of the frame just for fun to see low angles because the rats eye view can be pretty cool even if a little shaky which you can also tell YT to stabilize your uploaded video.
Last edited by homie on Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Look at the middle or end of the video when we are riding. I think it is pretty stabile. His head is bobbing up and down a little but you can fix that too. :lol: :lol: :lol:

LOL - like Homie said set Youtube to 1080 setting. Make it full screen. I piped it to my 60" Sony HD TV and it looks very good. Colors are even better. A bit noisy though with the wind. :lol:

Mel46 wrote:I think i have a question that is what many wonder about. I looked at the sample video you provided but i didnt see what the video looks like while you are riding. I have a camera at home that is a standard point and shoot. It has image stabilization but jumps all over the place if i mount it on the bike and record while riding. I am thinking that mountintg it on my helmet would be the best solution, but i didn't see an example to determine if that would work. Does it record without a lot of jitter from your helmet while you ride?
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

I use a GoPro Hero3 myself. I didn't go with the helmet mount because the camera pretty much NEEDS to be mounted right side up, in only one direction in order to record an image properly. The handlebar mount didn't do much good either as you'll get a lot of jolting sounds whenever you hit a tiny bump on the road, plus the 3-way mount isn't exactly 3-way, meaning you'll either be recording your left side or your right side. Mounting on a panel would result in the same problem with road noise.

In the end, I settled for a chest mount. You can't see what I'm looking at with my head turned, but at least I don't have to be worried about my head being jerked around if I'm trying to do a head check on the highway at 50+ mph.
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Definitely could require a bit more editing on the helmet (we put them on top and not the side). Target has the Go Pros for $129. I would not want something that large on the helmet. I plan on using the Mobius on my electric RC helis, quads, and airplanes too and some of them are tiny. To look around though I think is important on touring vs a front mount.

Hero
http://www.target.com/p/gopro-hero-chdh ... oCefvw_wcB