Hi, new PCX here!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

C-Note
Regular User
Regular User

Hi, new PCX here!

Post by C-Note »

Hi all, this is my first time visiting this forum. i am a 'almost new' PCX owner in the Chicago, IL USA area. Been riding for about 8 weeks now and love the economy of this vehicle.

I do have a question: Has anyone had any issues starting their scoot? Sometimes I push the start button and "nothing" happens. After fiddling with the ignition on/off and re-trying it usually starts.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Hi, new PCX here!

Post by gn2 »

Hi C-Note!
Yep, I have had that a few times and it's always because I haven't pulled the brake lever enough.
Now I push and hold the starter button and squeeze the brake till it fires up.
When I get the brake pressure right and it engages the starter, the engine always starts first time no matter what the weather is like or whether the engine is hot or cold.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
C-Note
Regular User
Regular User

Post by C-Note »

Thanks for the reply. I am aware of the need pull the rear brake in hard enough to engage the starter. I'll have to try holding the button while squeezing, that's something I hadn't thought of.

I spoke to the Honda service people yesterday about it and they had not experienced the problem. I'm gonna have them check into it when i take it in for the 600 mi. check soon.

It is a bit un-nerving when I try to start it and nothing happens.
Teamtd11
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Teamtd11 »

Ive had the bike struggle to start once or twice but never had a problem with nothing at all happening when I try and start her.
You best get her a bunch of flowers because it sounds like she needs some love<3
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

mine have always been user issues in that I left side stand down or didnt squeeze left brake hard enough especially after brake was adjusted at dealer
JGC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JGC »

Welcome to the forum

Only time I had issue with starting, was when I first had the PCX and forgot to pull the brake lever in :oops: :oops:
C-Note
Regular User
Regular User

Post by C-Note »

Well... jumped on the PCX this moring and went to start it and nothing! So I fiddled with it for a while, turning the ingnition on and off, squezzing the brake and re-trying... and so on. There was nothing, not a sound, like it was dead.

Eventually got it going by just trying and trying.

I have an appointment next week to take it in to be checked. Something is not right.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Could be a duff battery, you wouldn't be the first to have a bad one, I think Honda were given a bad batch of duds because I've heard of a few people who have had replacement batteries under warranty.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
C-Note
Regular User
Regular User

Post by C-Note »

Possibly, and that was my first thought the first time it happened. So I removed the battery and put it on a charger, but it did not pull hardly any current which indicates that it was charged as good as it could be. However, that doesn't mean there's not something wrong with it.

Well, unless it just totally dies on me, I'll wait to see what the dealer mechanic has to say. When I spoke to him about it before he was a bit puzzled by it.

I'll report back when it's all figured out, unless anyone has any other suggestions.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Welcome to the forums! :D

Did you make sure the kickstand was up when you checked it? It's a stupid question, but the kickstand will prevent the engine from running.

I've never had a problem starting. If GN2's suggestion with the left lever doesn't fix it, something is definitely wrong.

I hope everything gets sorted out quickly. It sucks being without a scooter. :(
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
C-Note
Regular User
Regular User

Post by C-Note »

Just had my PCX in the shop for the 600 mi. service. Had them check out my issues with starting, and, just as I suspected, the battery was bad and could not pass a load test. New battery now, and all is good.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Nice one, glad you're sorted :)
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: WHITE

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

Was the battery replaced under warranty?
What batter model does the PCX use?
How much are they new?
Does WalMart stock those?
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

The battery is a YTZ7. I've seen generic batteries for $40, and anywhere from $80 to $120 for the stock battery online. Not sure how much my dealer would want, I'd imagine it might actually be cheaper from the dealer.

Wal-mart might stock them, but I've never looked. They have a "battery finder" device there you can use, check and see next time you're there.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
C-Note
Regular User
Regular User

Post by C-Note »

No worries, the battery was replaced by Honda as a warranty claim. Only had 600 miles on her. Also got the 600 mile once ove check up, all is good now.