pcx 2015 Oil leak?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

kanerz14
Year: 2014/2015
Color: Red

pcx 2015 Oil leak?

Post by kanerz14 »

Hi forum,

I noticed today whilst parked that I had lost a small amount of oil. I had checked the oil levels previously and noted it had been overfilled (at first service). I'm not tech minded, but its around the area of the right side at the back of centrestand.

Any ideas/advice.

Regards.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Re: pcx 2015 Oil leak?

Post by Alibally »

Got a picture?
yak
Minister of Magic
Minister of Magic
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by yak »

This happened to me after my first oil change. I tightened the oil drain plug ( a very tiny amount - i had read all the warnings about stripping out the threads). It worked.

I knew where the drip was originating because there was oil on the drain plug when i touched it with my finger. If you can't feel any oil there, it is coming from someplace else.
kanerz14

Post by kanerz14 »

Thanks Yak,

I suspect that's where it's coming from as near the centerstand, will get a look in daylight.
kanerz14

Post by kanerz14 »

Hi again,

I ran it this morning for about 5 minutes and can't see any evidence of leak at the bolt or anywhere for that matter. The bolt was tight and I checked oil level and seems okay, if not a little high???
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Ride over to the service shop that performed your recent(?) oil change and have them take a look. If they overfilled it, let them make the necessary fix/repair. Sound fair?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
yak
Minister of Magic
Minister of Magic

Post by yak »

Wipe off any oil from previous leaks. Cut up an old shirt or bedsheet. Put it underneath your scooter as close to the engine as possible (when the engine is cool). Do some detective work. You can track this down. As you zero-in on the problem spot, use paper towels. Check every 5-10 minutes. You will find the leak.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

That only works if its leaking with the engine off.
Not all leaks are like that, some need the engine running to force the oil out.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
frog13
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: white

Post by frog13 »

Are you sure while checking the oil level a little bit of oil didn't escape from the stick and run down the out side of the case and then drip on the floor .
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Interesting frog. Yes, I was taught start with the obvious before "diving in." So yeah, check them first. Oddly that lesson has worked for me quite a few times in life. So, good on you for bringing that up, whether it be the case or not.
Start with the obvious folks and save yerselfs some time and frustration.
Good luck kanerz14 hope it's a simple fix. Perhaps dial.....d.e.a.l.e.r? Ask them?
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

gn2, I think the op said the bike was off. So, leak/drip(?) was appearing then. It might be okay now as nothing more is being said.
Please Update us kanerz14.
kanerz14

Post by kanerz14 »

frog13 wrote:Are you sure while checking the oil level a little bit of oil didn't escape from the stick and run down the out side of the case and then drip on the floor .
Hi Frog and forum,

Yep I'm sure a wee bit didn't drip on floor. Had a run on it this morning and can't see any obvious dripping; so will continue to keep a watchful eye on things. I do check the oil level and it appears overfilled, though not hugely and the engine was warmed up, (should I be concerned)?, though if it was a leak I'd expect to see a reduction if leak was bad enough and I'm pretty sure it was oil (smelled it).
yak
Minister of Magic
Minister of Magic

Post by yak »

Go ahead and put a drinking straw in the oil tank and draw out 1/2 ounce of oil. Do it slowly (when the oil is not super-hot) and there is no danger of the straw breaking off into the oil tank. Get the oil at the correct level. If you want to be more scientific, buy a syringe (sold for diabetics) at Walgreens and draw out the oil with that (18 gauge or fatter should work)
Watch the position of the dipstick as you put it in to measure the oil level, the stick goes in at a slight angle. Read the upper portion of the stick.
Mystery leaks are part of the ownership experience. In most cases, the leak will reappear and you will be able to determine the fix. Sometimes, the leak is gone forever and you stare at the ceiling at night wondering what happened.... you did not imagine those oil droplets on the ground.
kanerz14

Post by kanerz14 »

Thanks Yak,

That's a grad idea, though I don't think I'll bother with the straw as will no doubt suck too hard and get a mouthful of the sticky goo. Will use the syringe. I don't think it's been massively overfilled though but it can be difficult to see.
Thanks for all the helpful replies; I'll keep an eye out and speak to dealers if it persists.

Cheers.
yak
Minister of Magic
Minister of Magic

Post by yak »

Just put your finger over the end of the straw. That creates the suction that allows you to remove the straw with a tiny bit of oil in the straw. Practice with another straw in a glass of water.
frog13
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: white

Post by frog13 »

Any chance it could be coming from the crankcase breather tube (overfilled) ?. Also , while looking underneath my new pcx150 I noticed two overflow tubes attached to the lower plastics...just another thought . Good luck.