Nightmare with plastics and seat

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

outlander
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Nightmare with plastics and seat

Post by outlander »

I have a 2015 pcx. The original owner dropped it and scuffed the plastics. I have ordered and received all the plastics. The rh lower fairing, rh black plastic and rh upper fairing around light. I also got the pcx service manual today. The plastics are terribly engineered to fit. Its like I have to removed the plastics at the back of the scooter to get to the front. The only piece left to remove is the upper fairing.

According to the service manual my next step is to remove the seat via 4 nuts. I removed the 2 right nuts that attach to the seat, while the 2 left nut were very stiff and ended up breaking their connection with the seat on the other side of the seat plastic. So on the foam side the bolt is attached someone, now the bolt has come off and all that happens when I try to remove the nuts is that it freely spins. How can I remove the 2 nuts without cutting up the seat?
scudder
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: metalic black

Re: Nightmare with plastics and seat

Post by scudder »

I presume the bolt has become loose under the foam and cover. Just undo some of the staples with a flat head screwdriver and locate the nut. Staple it back down after :-)
outlander
Regular User
Regular User

Post by outlander »

What would you staple it back down with? A normal stapler or a staple.gun?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Staple gun. I don't have a 2015 version but on the 2013 version the seat comes off easily by way of 2 bolts on the front connect ted to the hinge. I can't believe that you would have to do anything extra. That would be nuts!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

:lol: :lol: a little "play on words" hey there Mel?
Sorry, outlander. I know you're concerned, I would be too. You'll get it all sorted out, I have faith. Pull the staples around the area and grab those pieces out. I wish I could fix open clothing seams with staples, but nooo....must sew. Not fun.
Good Luck with yer plastic replacements and share a "proud pic" when yer done! :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
outlander
Regular User
Regular User

Post by outlander »

It is really tearing me up dismantling the pcx.

I removed enough staples to slide my fingers in and touch the other side of the bolts. They are headless. So the bolt thread us just spinning.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Vise grips.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

outlander
Regular User
Regular User

Post by outlander »

Vice grips wont work becausr the plastic from the hinge and seat comes out too far, i cannot get the vice grips past the plastic. I cannot remove the seat staples at the front as that is where the hinge is.

I am currently removing all the staples I can get to so I can fold the seat foam forward so i can access the top of the headless bolts, maybe i can stop them spinning some how.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Take advantage of that! "If" your seat is uncomfortable, and yer stripping off the vinyl, maybe just maybe? You want to "Make That Change?" And add foam or...whatever? Just sayin'

I can tell you're getting frustrated. Understandable. Try to enjoy the tear down. Take your time, have a beer. Then Go back to it. Easy for me to say. But I've been there too.
Go ahead! Let it out/Shout it Out! Happy Thanksgiving! (Whilst Whispering..You SOB!!) :lol:

Today...You'll get away with that, No problemo ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

All i can say is Good Luck with it. I never thought i would be happy that i didn't purchase the most recent model. My 2013 sounds like a piece of cake in comparison to the 2015 version. My seat comes off with two nuts, or i can remove it with the hinge still on by removing two bolts.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

outlander
Regular User
Regular User

Post by outlander »

Ok, well the good news is that it is all bad together minus the seat.

The bad news, I have 2 silver screws left over....

I have found that the honda service manual was useless. It told me I had to remove the seat, once removed I found out it never had to come off at all.

The plastics I replaced were rh lower fairing, rh black plastic, exhaust cover, rh front fairing.

I'm pretty sure the spare screws were from the front fairings, I am not too sure and I am not removing the plastics anytime soon.

I'm going to get staples for my staple gun tomorrow and I will try and refit the seat material and foam.

The top of the 4 seat bolts have a square flat head, which is inside the plastic seat pan. When I used the ratchet to loosen the nut, the square flat head stripped the plastic and was just rotating inside the seat pan. So I had to remove the seat foam and use a soldering iron to melt the plastic around the seat bolt. Only then did the seat lift off the hinge.

If the seat material goes back on successfully, the seat will only be held on with the 2 right bolts. If its not secure I will have to order a new seat and hinge.

I broke a fair few clips, I followed the service manual to the word and it was impossible to pull out the plastics without breaking tabs. My fingers and thumbs hurt.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

The screws could also have come from the foot rest area, under the rubber. But if you can't figure out where they belong, just say "Screw it", and go riding. Don't just bolt out of there though. (Ok, I just had to throw those in there. A little humor is good for the soul).
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

outlander
Regular User
Regular User

Post by outlander »

Screw it lol, I'm done with screws for now.

All of the screws under the rubber mat are present, i'm pretty sure its up front somewhere.

I put the seat back together with a staple gun and it looks like new apart from that only 2 of the 4 bolts are present on the seat. The seat seems ok. I will wait till a used cheap 2015 seat pops up on ebay and replace it.
chainsaw
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 150esp
Color: white/carbon

Post by chainsaw »

i bet the screws are from the front edge of the side panels, in near the fuel tank. i've forgotten those ones a couple of times now.
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

Exactly the same two screws my son and I missed when we put new shockies on the PCX.