a Bikers worst enemy..

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

a Bikers worst enemy..

Post by Scottish »

(apart from other road users)
Spilled diesel/oil on the road...fucking lethal, came a cropper for the first time yesterday, straight road downhill approaching a set of lights just turned to red, applied the brakes and WTF!!! the bike just flew out from underneath me.....a two inch wide, 20ft long strip of diesel right under my tyre was to blame....was very glad to have my helmet as my head banged off the road i can tell you!...other than that a skint elbow and hip were all the damage i took.....my poor bike looks worse for wear tho :(

Next time i see ANY wet patch, puddle or strip from now on its diesel and evasive action must be taken!
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Re: a Bikers worst enemy..

Post by EddieC »

oh no! That really sucks! Hope you heal up soon! I take it you will be repairing your PCX?
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

Thankgod you are not badly hurt. Bikes can be repaired but I know how it hurts to look at a not so shiney pcx
Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Scottish »

my poor bike has been pushed over once, blown over three times and now this....cant really afford new panels and an exhaust, i might tape up the rough edges with black gaffer tape but thats about it, i'll still love it warts n all tho!
JGC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JGC »

Glad you were not seriously hurt. Replace that helmet ASAP now, It's done it's job and saved you from head injuries. The foam would have compresed and doesn't expand again so if the lid was dropped it will probably split!!
pony

Post by pony »

Thats sad news, glad you are ok.
Pony
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Happened to me years ago so now I treat all junctions in the wet gingerly. Its not a good feeling when the front wheel goes! Its worse when you are heading downhill...
Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Scottish »

JGC wrote:Glad you were not seriously hurt. Replace that helmet ASAP now, It's done it's job and saved you from head injuries. The foam would have compresed and doesn't expand again so if the lid was dropped it will probably split!!
Thats going to hurt more than anything....a schuberth C3 :(
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

The cheaper ones have to meet the same safety criteria as the expensive ones ;)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

Glad you're Ok. You could make your scooter into something like Eddie Van Halens guitar with the tape :) ?

I've got a C3. I bought it because I had read it was the only flip front that was tested to the same strength as full face. However, it doesn't do too well in these tests :( : http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Went past one of these sign on the signs on the way into work yesterday at one of the intersections. Was sand all over the road covering it. Lets say it was all eyes on the road looking for a clean line and taking it easy for a few km's after that.

At least if these is oil/fuel on the roads here it gets reported and the cops do something about it straight away. Bloody dangerous.

Hope you are ok Scottish.
Attachments
oil.jpg
oil.jpg (14.03 KiB) Viewed 2472 times
Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Scottish »

[quote="edscoot"]Glad you're Ok. You could make your scooter into something like Eddie Van Halens guitar with the tape :) ?

Thats funny I used to have a Kramer Focus 1000 in black with a floyd rose trem, always toyed with the idea of a custom Eddie paint job too :D

Dont think i'll be getting another schuberth after that review tho, i'd expect 5 stars at that price.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Glad to hear you're okay. I've had a few close calls with stopping on oil spots, or just as bad, metal plates. o_O
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
JGC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JGC »

With regards to helmets. At the end of the day what fits one person won't fit another!! I have a Shoei shaped head. I have tried other makes but either could get them on over my hearing aids, or they were just plain uncomfortable.
Having said that I have found the NS2 lids bearable (and cheaper) so wear one of these for riding the scoot to work, and save my Shoei Multitec for the longer runs or riding the deau. (Both helmets are flip fronts)
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

JGC you wear hearing aids when you ride? I wear one in right ear but never when riding as it is hard to adjust the volume. Totally deaf in left ear so I rely on eyes heavily when riding.
JGC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JGC »

Yes I'm profoundly deaf in both ears and try to wear them when wearing a helmet, as I do like to be aware of my surrounding sounds. Especially when someone wants to talk to me.
My aids are digital. Firstly cut the back mic out (Background noise) then turn volume down. I wear a balaclava which help the helmet to slide over the aids. getting the volume right is a trail and error subject though!!
Must admit the audiologist was surprised I wore the aids when riding, even gave me two pouches to put the aids into to keep them safe!!
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

Have a digital one too but gave up trying to use it with a full face Shoei. Been riding 9 years without much sound. Used to hearing the unbaffled can on my old v twin though....actually maybe i used to feel that too when it revved :)
JGC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JGC »

I use the flip front shoei multitec, expensive but a darn good lid though. I went deaf at an early age (aprox 2 1/2 years old!)
bikeypikey

Post by bikeypikey »

Glad you're OK Scottish. I dumped my new (to me) PCX the other week on loose dusty crap in the gutter as I was filtering and a truck "closed the door" on me. Whilst I appreciate nack all can be done on diesel, I blame mine on the combi brake system as I just grabbed a handful of both brakes and the front end tucked on the low friction surface. With over 30 years constant riding experience and past owner of more than 50 bikes, I think I know how to brake, but the fucking combi system caught me out big style by applying loads more front brake than I thought I was applying.

Just a thought......

Cheers,

Pikey.
Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Scottish »

Cheers pikey good point, I agree the combi brakes are a shit idea, i'd rather have full control over what the hell i'm doing.