Came off bike :(

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Tom192
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: red

Came off bike :(

Post by Tom192 »

Riding to work on sat morning, thinkIng about the week ahead realised car in front had its brakes on and grabbed front brake a bit hard and locked the front wheel and went over side ways, totally my fault.

Thank god I had all the gear on, no missing skin! Very sore ribs this morning, my helmets hit the floor on the visor but going to replace the full helmet as a precaution.

Bikes scratch marks down left hand side but cosmetic really still fine to ride and I carried on to work, not sure if I'm going to ride again this winter
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Re: Came off bike :(

Post by Mel46 »

Ouch! Well, i am glad that you are ok. I have almost done the same thing before. I would be riding along, giving cars in front of me plenty of space, wouldn't you take my mind off of riding for just a second, and darned if the driver inthe car in front of me wouldn't decide that he forgot to turn just as he is about to pass the street. So he slams on his brakes. Then he slowly tries to make the turn, which means he has to run up on the sidewalk in order to turn the car that far back. Meanwhile, i locked the front and rear brakes. I haven't hit anything yet, but it is easy to take your mind off of the road just for a second.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

This is precisely why ABS is such a good idea...
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Tom192
Regular User
Regular User
Color: red

Post by Tom192 »

Thankfully I didn't hit anything :) and there was nobody close behind as I ended up sat in the middle of the road wondering what day it was.

Swing 125 with abs is tempting GN2!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Tom192 wrote:Riding to work on sat morning, thinkIng about the week ahead realised car in front had its brakes on and grabbed front brake a bit hard and locked the front wheel and went over side ways, totally my fault.

Thank god I had all the gear on, no missing skin! Very sore ribs this morning, my helmets hit the floor on the visor but going to replace the full helmet as a precaution.

Bikes scratch marks down left hand side but cosmetic really still fine to ride and I carried on to work, not sure if I'm going to ride again this winter

Thinking about the week ahead does it for me. If you can't concentrate ABS might possibly help you and those around you
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Even ABS won't fix daydreaming. Maybe more caffeine.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

Interesting. Even when practicing quick stops I never manage to grab the brakes hard enough to dip the front suspension with 200 lbs of fat ass :D .
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

When you panic brake its a piece of piss to lock the front wheel.
Especially in winter on damp greasy UK roads.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
tomtic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by tomtic »

My advice would be NOT to give up on winter riding! I know it's a shock to come off, but if you continue to ride all year round it will make you a better rider. The roads have been very greasy lately as gn2 said, and panic braking will only make it worse.
I don't know how much experience you have, but winter riding can be much more of a challenge. Safe braking distances are doubled in damp conditions, and you have to calculate that in to your riding. Put this 'off' down to experience and learn from it. Getting through winter (safely!) will make you a more confident and competent rider.
Hope this helps to reassure you. Yes winter is more tricky, but if you adapt to the greater risks, you will be fine.
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

tomtic wrote:My advice would be NOT to give up on winter riding! I know it's a shock to come off, but if you continue to ride all year round it will make you a better rider. The roads have been very greasy lately as gn2 said, and panic braking will only make it worse.
I don't know how much experience you have, but winter riding can be much more of a challenge. Safe braking distances are doubled in damp conditions, and you have to calculate that in to your riding. Put this 'off' down to experience and learn from it. Getting through winter (safely!) will make you a more confident and competent rider.
Hope this helps to reassure you. Yes winter is more tricky, but if you adapt to the greater risks, you will be fine.
Agree 100%
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

Adrenaline makes for too much squeeze. It seems you must have also tried to swerve which crabbed the front wheel and tossed you over the side. I'm not picking on you. Just trying to help analyze the wreck to help others avoid repeating it.
oldbiker
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2012 non esp
Color: Black is cooler

Post by oldbiker »

I am trying to learn myself to in an emergency to grab the back brake harder and use the front as a top up. My belief it is better to lock up the back than the front that is also steering .....what are others thoughts. I understand the combo back brake lever operates both brakes. And in homage to our more experienced riders I try not to lock up the rear by cadence if I remember. Only locked up once so far on a dam manhole cover.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

oldbiker wrote:I am trying to learn myself to in an emergency to grab the back brake harder and use the front as a top up.
Yep, that's what I reckon is best for the PCX.
A locked rear will not cause loss of control, a locked front almost certainly will.
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

I like to use both brakes together using care not to lock up the tires. Never break on a curve. brake before. Also watch out for wet leaves in the road!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Tom192 Hi! How are you? I'm sorry to read about your spill. Yeah, crap happens. Maybe you need to keep more distance between yourself and cars? What say you to that thought? I'm betting the bulk of us have a story or two to tell. I confess, I do. After our accidents, we thank above that we're okay, we heal, we fix, and we saddle up again in hopes we learned from our mistake(s). We relive it in our minds, we return to the site, trying to make wrong right. We read, we chat here, we build up our knowledge and confidence and off we go.
I still practice in parking lots testing my abilities & refreshing myself. Quick stops, tight turns, weaving, swerving and all that. When Braking, I squeeze a little rear first and follow it with a front squeeze. I do not grab and pull the brakes. Ouu...no no.
I sure hope you continue to ride and share your experiences here with us.
Happy Holidays :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I really do wish I had ABS, or at least duel disc brakes like I had on my Burgman. Unfortunately, the manufacture of these little scooters requires that they remain within a certain cost range. Adding ABS or even duel disc brakes would add too much to the cost to keep it within the cost range necessary in order to compete with their competiters. Bottom line: these are inexpensive little scooters that must remain inexpensive, so ABS will probably never happen on them.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Only about £200 difference in OTR cost of SHi125 ABS vs CBS, which is not really that much more.
i.e. http://www.huntsmotorcycles.co.uk/NewBi ... sh125i.htm
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Mel46 wrote:I really do wish I had ABS, or at least duel disc brakes like I had on my Burgman. Unfortunately, the manufacture of these little scooters requires that they remain within a certain cost range. Adding ABS or even duel disc brakes would add too much to the cost to keep it within the cost range necessary in order to compete with their competiters. Bottom line: these are inexpensive little scooters that must remain inexpensive, so ABS will probably never happen on them.
They will pretty soon...ABS will be mandatory in Europe next year I believe. A very good thing.
Fish
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Sadly ABS will only be mandatory for bikes above 125cc although there are already a number of 125s with ABS.
djcat
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Black

Post by djcat »

Which tyres do you have on your scoot? The more grip, the less it will lock up (although if you try hard enough you can lock any tyre).