Looking at getting a Forza!

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

speedandstyle
Regular User
Regular User

Looking at getting a Forza!

Post by speedandstyle »

Just joined this forum and looking to find out more about the Forza. I currently ride a 2006 Suzuki Burgman 400 Type S. I like my Burg but I don't love it. Anyway I have been looking at the other options out there and the Forza looks to be the closest to my perfect ride. interstate}. I will be reading all I can and asking some questions so please help me find out if the Forza is the right scoot for me or not. Thanks in advance.
stephen

Re: Looking at getting a Forza!

Post by stephen »

Not sure if you plan to ride the interstate, but I find the Forza to be much better than my previous bike (an air-cooled Harley) at stop-and-go stuff. However, it is not the best choice when speeds get past 60 mph. It's perfect for me on the short stretch of interstate that I ride when commuting in downtown Kansas City, but I wouldn't take on longer rides where the posted speed limit is 75 mph.
Monty1952
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Monty1952 »

stephen wrote:Not sure if you plan to ride the interstate, but I find the Forza to be much better than my previous bike (an air-cooled Harley) at stop-and-go stuff. However, it is not the best choice when speeds get past 60 mph. It's perfect for me on the short stretch of interstate that I ride when commuting in downtown Kansas City, but I wouldn't take on longer rides where the posted speed limit is 75 mph.
I have no issues with doing 75mph (120kph) for hours on the Forza during trips that are say for a day. I however am not sure that I feel comfortable about multi day longer trips at these speeds. I think the Forza is up to it but i am not sure if I am want the fatigue from the vibration and noise (high rpm) which is tolerable for a day or so. My bucket list has a few really long trips on it and I am thinking of something bigger for these. I have a 5 day trip around the grate lakes in planning for spring and will see how my old body stand up to it!!
2014 Forza - Silver 2,300km
2013 BMW C600 Sport 0km!
BRed
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2023 XMax 300
Color: Grey and black

Post by BRed »

An alternative point of view....
I bought the Forza specifically for the Interstate.

My Big Ruckus could cruise at 75 and could touch 85 under ideal conditions, but a strong headwind or steep grade could drop that back to 70.
Unfortunately, I am increasingly seeing these:

and even these:

and in the southwest you'll see these:

most of us who ride the Interstates would agree that what ever the speed limit sign says, you (as a scooter rider) need to be able to exceed that speed by at least 5mph (every one else will be rolling 5-10mph faster anyway).

If every one on the road is passing you and you are riding the smallest thing on the road, you are in danger of becoming a rolling speedbump!

for those reasons and based on my experience with Honda's earlier 249cc scoots, I decided the Forza was exactly what I needed for lightweight, one up touring.

With a modified CVT the Forza cruises effortlessly at 80mph, it accelerates from 0-70mph in 12 seconds and tops out around 88mph after a short sprint....
so far I haven't had it on roads where I could really open it up for a long time and see how high it goes.
It gets 67-68mpg running at a steady 70mph on the Interstate and still easily tops 80mpg at 45mph.

If you like to carry a lot of stuff on the road, then the Forza isn't the best tourer for you, but if you like to travel light (and freeze at night?) and go where the road takes you, not where your 600lb.... or 700lb... or 800lb... or half ton? ride will allow you to go....
AND do it all on a shoestring budget, the Forza may be the right choice for you.
Monty1952
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Monty1952 »

most of us who ride the Interstates would agree that what ever the speed limit sign says, you (as a scooter rider) need to be able to exceed that speed by at least 5mph (every one else will be rolling 5-10mph faster anyway).

If every one on the road is passing you and you are riding the smallest thing on the road, you are in danger of becoming a rolling speedup. [/quote]

Best advice I ever got was keep up with speed of traffic regardless of how fast or stay off highways if you can't.
Interesting book to read about an epic journey on 125 cc - Old Man on a Bike by Simon Gandolfini. http://www.amazon.ca/Old-Man-On-A-Bike/dp/1906321663
2013 BMW C600 Sport 0km!
speedandstyle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by speedandstyle »

Thanks. I do not plan on riding on the interstate. I thought I posted that but part of that sentence got deleted!? The only word left from the sentence was the word "interstate" and a parentheses - go figure? Anyway I ride 99% around town almost every day, all year round. Didn't ride today because I woke to frozen sleet this morning that turned to snow this evening. I make a few highway trips a year but they are slower state and county roads and for no more than a hour or two. It isn't that I don't trust my ability or the ride but other drivers including big trucks.
Monty1952
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Monty1952 »

speedandstyle wrote:Thanks. I do not plan on riding on the interstate. I thought I posted that but part of that sentence got deleted!? The only word left from the sentence was the word "interstate" and a parentheses - go figure? Anyway I ride 99% around town almost every day, all year round. Didn't ride today because I woke to frozen sleet this morning that turned to snow this evening. I make a few highway trips a year but they are slower state and county roads and for no more than a hour or two. It isn't that I don't trust my ability or the ride but other drivers including big trucks.
It's interesting how some non-riding family and friends view safety on two wheels for me and others on highways in particular. You all know the kind of comments they make. But a few of the most vocal ones have no issues themselves going mountain climbing, deep sea diving, downhill skiing, track days in their 500hp+ cars etc, etc. I don't downplay any of the risks we all take - just respect and minimize them as much as possible.
2013 BMW C600 Sport 0km!
DioTiAma
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 NSS300A
Color: Seal Silver

Post by DioTiAma »

I manage to push the bike up to 97 mph but the electronic speed barrier got on! Conditions were favourable (downhill & tailwind). As for the sing which says "Gas In 167 Miles", well, that's scary!
Monty1952
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Monty1952 »

I have a question - is it legal (or not!) to have a small gas container in some way strapped to your bike/scoot to cover you with these large gaps on a long trip? I suspect not but these long gaps between fill ups scare the crap out of me!
2013 BMW C600 Sport 0km!
OriginalRocket
Regular User
Regular User

Post by OriginalRocket »

In the USA, It sure is legal.

It is safe if done properly. Most common are MSR and Rotopax fuel canisters. They even have hardware to mount to a motorcycle.

you should check out ADVrider.com and see how those guys do it. Crazy!
BRed
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2023 XMax 300
Color: Grey and black

Post by BRed »

I use a 1 liter Peak fuel bottle about 7/8 full.....
they're normally used to carry gasoline for your Peak camping stove, but it makes a great reserve tank.

The bottle is aluminum with a sealed, unvented cap, so it doesn't leak if it tips over.

There's also the Fuel Buddy, 1-2 liter plastic containers.
garrup

Re: speed

Post by garrup »

DioTiAma wrote:I manage to push the bike up to 97 mph but the electronic speed barrier got on! Conditions were favourable (downhill & tailwind). As for the sing which says "Gas In 167 Miles", well, that's scary!
..........WOW, i wish my Forza was blessed with your speedometer. I'm flat out at 81mph, and i would sure hate to try to cruise at that speed.
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I only have 635 miles on my new Forza but it gets up to 83 so far on level road but I really didn't push it and I am sure the HP/torque hasn't peaked yet. I fully expect it to hit at least the 86-87 mph that I read others get on level ground. After riding my buddies Harley Sportster quite a bit I think the Forza cruises competently at 70 mph and I have passed a few times w/o issue. I think his Harley is noisier. Wind gusts definitely affect the Forza more than the Harley but nothing like the PCX since many now have their PCX's reaching the upper 70's. Long steep grades and strong winds will challenge the higher end a bit at times but I had no problem maintaining a minimum of 70 mph for a good stretch of highway in the foothills of the Ozarks where I live. The Rocky mountains might be another challenge. 70 mph is the fastest speed limit anywhere in our extended area.
Monty1952
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Monty1952 »

SECoda wrote:I only have 635 miles on my new Forza but it gets up to 83 so far on level road but I really didn't push it and I am sure the HP/torque hasn't peaked yet. I fully expect it to hit at least the 86-87 mph that I read others get on level ground. After riding my buddies Harley Sportster quite a bit I think the Forza cruises competently at 70 mph and I have passed a few times w/o issue. I think his Harley is noisier. Wind gusts definitely affect the Forza more than the Harley but nothing like the PCX since many now have their PCX's reaching the upper 70's. Long steep grades and strong winds will challenge the higher end a bit at times but I had no problem maintaining a minimum of 70 mph for a good stretch of highway in the foothills of the Ozarks where I live. The Rocky mountains might be another challenge. 70 mph is the fastest speed limit anywhere in our extended area.
Lol - I hate you guys even talking like this and I am only into month 1 of likely a 3 month (if not 4) break because of winter. I should borrow my friends bike trailer and head to warmer parts.
2013 BMW C600 Sport 0km!
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I just don't understand the hibernation up there. :P We have about a week of 25-30 F weather coming which is chilly for us. o_O
Monty1952
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Monty1952 »

SECoda wrote:I just don't understand the hibernation up there. :P
33 years in Canada (from Scotland) and I still don't really enjoy winters. Have spent a lot of the down time so far thinking through a route 66 trip for some time this year. Like most here taking a trip to Florida to get some sun.
2013 BMW C600 Sport 0km!
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

My mother and brother live up in Wisconsin and I was raised with two snowmobiles SW of Chicago. I had to move a bit further south to knock that bitter edge off.
speedandstyle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by speedandstyle »

The last few days have been very cold here{Roswell, NM in the Southwest USA}. Not a lot of snow but some plus freezing sleet. I have not ridden for 3 days now. Worse is there is another storm coming in. We get one or two of these cold spells most winters. Can't wait for it to get warm again, next week. :D

I can sympathize with you guys up North however. I busted my leg very badly a couple of years ago and spent 9 months in a wheelchair, no ridding! It sucked. :(
speedandstyle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by speedandstyle »

OK lets shift gears a little bit. I have a couple of questions for you guys who already own a Forza.

#1 do winter weight gloves fit into the right side glovebox? I would use that box for my gloves exclusively but it looks a bit small for heavy ones.

#2 does the clutch glaze easily? and then chatter? My Burgman does and I hate it.

#3 how do you guys like the combined brakes? My Burg has them too but I am not real impressed. Of coarse Honda may have done a better job with their design.

#4 how do you like the floor rubber panels? There does not seem to be much tread to them.

#5 I have read that the rear suspension is stiff - that is good for me because I like it that way BUT what is the front end like?

I am sure I will have some more questions but let's start with these. thank you to all in advance.
Monty1952
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Monty1952 »

speedandstyle wrote:OK lets shift gears a little bit. I have a couple of questions for you guys who already own a Forza.

#1 do winter weight gloves fit into the right side glovebox? I would use that box for my gloves exclusively but it looks a bit small for heavy ones.

#2 does the clutch glaze easily? and then chatter? My Burgman does and I hate it.

#3 how do you guys like the combined brakes? My Burg has them too but I am not real impressed. Of coarse Honda may have done a better job with their design.

#4 how do you like the floor rubber panels? There does not seem to be much tread to them.

#5 I have read that the rear suspension is stiff - that is good for me because I like it that way BUT what is the front end like?

I am sure I will have some more questions but let's start with these. thank you to all in advance.
I am but a rookie so although not the best person to answer will give my two cents worth!
#1 not sure if gloves would fit but I always put mine under the seat with helmet so they somewhat keep their shape and have the chance to dry up if at all wet from rain or simply sweat.
#2 I notice no chatter from the clutch or cvt engagement. Having tried just a few bikes before buying the Forza fairly quick to engage.
#3 combined works well in normal smothered stopping but as you may expect any stopping with any level of urgency is better with both hands working the levers.
#4 floor mats fine by me. Had thoughts of them being slippery but tested them out in wet conditions and no problems.
#5 suspension in rear is fine for 1 up but others who go 2 up should answer. Front works fine for me but maybe just a touch stiff.
2013 BMW C600 Sport 0km!