Death Wobble

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

dog64bull
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Death Wobble

Post by dog64bull »

Has anyone of you got the "death wobble" on your scooter? If so, how do I avoid that?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Death Wobble

Post by gn2 »

Proper maintenance and correct loading.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

No, :? and I don't plan on feeling that either. Sorry.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_wobble
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Here is Mr. Wobble himself to share exactly how that feels :lol: Plus added bonus face plant.

SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I read Honda did a tire recall in SE Asia a few years ago on the PCX for inducing wobble.
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

One time very little wobble in windy conditions. May have been my fault since i was a new rider at the time.
Urbanfreestyle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 (UK)
Color: Black

Post by Urbanfreestyle »

My steering has started wobbling... it's only slight and if i'm not holding the bars though....
Honda PCX 125 ESP (Black)
Power:11.7 hp @8500 rpm, Torque:12Nm @5000rpm
Mods: LED sidelights, Yoshimura Exhaust

DEAD: 2013 Piaggio Typhoon 4 stroke 125cc (Black)
Power:9.65 HP @8500 rpm, Torque:8.2Nm @7500 rpm
Mods: Malossi Red foam filter, Hex LED Sidelights, Xenon headlights, USB charging port
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Urbanfreestyle wrote:My steering has started wobbling... it's only slight and if i'm not holding the bars though....

Hold the bars then
Urbanfreestyle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 (UK)
Color: Black

Post by Urbanfreestyle »

you you wrote:Hold the bars then
And where's the fun in that!?
Honda PCX 125 ESP (Black)
Power:11.7 hp @8500 rpm, Torque:12Nm @5000rpm
Mods: LED sidelights, Yoshimura Exhaust

DEAD: 2013 Piaggio Typhoon 4 stroke 125cc (Black)
Power:9.65 HP @8500 rpm, Torque:8.2Nm @7500 rpm
Mods: Malossi Red foam filter, Hex LED Sidelights, Xenon headlights, USB charging port
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

Had a tank slapper on the VFR years ago, not nice o_O . Think it was due to the top box.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
pcx man
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pcx man »

I have a 2013 PCX 150 and it will wobble but only if I loosely hold the handle bars as I slow down. This will happen at 27-29mph. After I changed the front tire it was much better. I also owned 3 other scooters (2) 2006 Honda Elite 80cc and a Buddy125cc that did the same thing at the same speeds. On the Buddy I changed the front wheel and tire and it still did it just as bad. The fix is to just hold the handle bars normal and it doesn't happen.
SmellyTofu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by SmellyTofu »

Urbanfreestyle wrote:My steering has started wobbling... it's only slight and if i'm not holding the bars though....
You'll need the headset checked because that's generally the cause of it.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Urbanfreestyle wrote:
you you wrote:Hold the bars then
And where's the fun in that!?

Well it wouln't make an idle post I guess...
Tribpreper
Banned User
Banned User

Post by Tribpreper »

dog64bull wrote: the "death wobble" on your scooter...how do I avoid that?
Being one who avoids solutions in need of a problem, I advised caution and testing in another thread relating to tire size swaps - and still do.
At 27° and 3.4", the PCX150 rake and trail feel too steep and the steering too quick. I am beginning to question whether Honda got this right. Swapping the stock front 90/90 for a 120/70 would lengthen the trail about 2mm. This may be small, but it is not insignificant, and may be enough to reduce your wobble if that is the cause.

But, a description of the wobble is necessary; Is it a low speed wobble, high speed, only during deceleration, how worn is the front tire, is there a cargo box...? And much more...

As mentioned earlier - maintenance! have the dealer check the steering head.
forza300
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by forza300 »

Bit of a random thread this one.

Death wobble? Not sure what you're referring to. Tank slappers are different, quite violent and have unpredictable outcomes. Possible on any bike but not likely on a scooter. Also good for exercising sphincter muscles for you and the oncoming driver you're possibly about to hit.

Assuming you have good tyres (incl. pressures), good steering head (checked/greased etc) and generally well serviced bike then that leaves only the factory geometry which is not necessarily absolutely straight and true.

Best bet would be to find a local frame builder and have them take off the wheels/forks and check the frame is straight.

If there is still a "wobble" after that I'd be asking for (Takanobu) Ito-san's personal number and start thinking about numbers for recompense.

Let us know if you have any issues with the ride.
------------------------
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

So here we are again looking for some problem that doesn't exist just because of an obscure post from experienc about some other bike. The PCX is NOT prone to tank slappers. I have 17,000 miles on the stock front IRC tire, ride at 65 mph every day, and have never had any hint of wobble with out purposely trying to instigate it by letting go of the handlebars and jabbing at one bar end. Once you get used to the superlight and low weight which make the bike very quick to turn in around town, the PCX handles any speed like a dream.
martago
Year: 2014
Color: white

Post by martago »

My PCX 125 2014 does wobble if at higher speed I try to reduce speed while changing lane and remain behind a car. This vehicle does not have the safety of a motorcycle, which I rode many in the last 40 years (all Honda motorcycles). Unfortunately one has to live with this limitation and be aware of it, if one wants to remain without road accidents.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

martago wrote:My PCX 125 2014 does wobble if at higher speed I try to reduce speed while changing lane and remain behind a car. This vehicle does not have the safety of a motorcycle, which I rode many in the last 40 years (all Honda motorcycles). Unfortunately one has to live with this limitation and be aware of it, if one wants to remain without road accidents.
Have a look at these Marty since there is speculation its tire related, easy application and couldn't hurt to test it out. http://www.bikebandit.com/aftermarket-p ... ds?m=20256
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

There is no wobble or need to "avoid road accidents" with the PCX. But if you want to balance your tires, balancing beads do work nice.
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red

Post by j.d.b. »

I've wobble-tested my '13 and it's quite solid. If you experience wobble (I mean REAL wobble) get the thing looked at (as posted above) because you got real trouble. I had one wobble experience on a bike and that was quite enough.