Parking brake

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

asoulakis64
Year: 150
Color: red

Parking brake

Post by asoulakis64 »

Hay i am new to this forum. My name is Panos i Live in Greece and i am the owner of a pcx 150 2014 European version.
I done some mods on my bike and the last one is to install a parking brake from US model.
I already purchase everything i need for this mod but i having trouble to understand how is the installation of the cable brake lock and the stay brake lock on the master brake cylinder CBS, and how can i abjust and make the parking brake works.
So if anyone can provide images from the US version master brake system on the bike and also informations about adjustment will be welcome
frog13
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: white

Re: Parking brake

Post by frog13 »

It may be faster if you search for factory manual photos . Try looking at " bike bandit.com" and such. Hope this accelerates your progress.
asoulakis64

Post by asoulakis64 »

Thank you for this advice but i already have seen the Honda's catalog with the parts Number because i order the parts from another US shop,
I would like if it is possible a real foto from the bike's master cylinder placed on the bike.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Most of us with the p-brake find it unnecessary or an annoyance. Certainly not something worth going to the trouble to install. Are you having trouble parking on a grade or hill? Where is your C-stand? I used the parking brake once and promptly forgot it was on driving several blocks hardly noticing. Without an indicator it's a good way to waste your pads and I'll never set it again. Maybe you can just paste the knob and pretend... like the old fake cell phones.
Attachments
mac.jpg
mac.jpg (6.61 KiB) Viewed 2292 times
asoulakis64

Post by asoulakis64 »

I understand what you mean an I am sure you are right because you have it on your bike and you can use it every day.
The only use of this parking brake is when you park on a hill and it is difficult to stop the on the center stand.
And you are also right about forgetting to disengage it and drive for few miles with the brake on, but from the other side I like to make modifications on my bike an also it is very "cool" to have the only bike in my country with an OEM parking brake not to mention that this parking brake is only available in US.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

asoulakis64 wrote:I understand what you mean an I am sure you are right because you have it on your bike and you can use it every day.
The only use of this parking brake is when you park on a hill and it is difficult to stop the on the center stand.
And you are also right about forgetting to disengage it and drive for few miles with the brake on, but from the other side I like to make modifications on my bike an also it is very "cool" to have the only bike in my country with an OEM parking brake not to mention that this parking brake is only available in US.
Human nature... I suspected this to be the underlying reason for such effort with so little practical use. We are driven to individuality and to have the only parking brake in your country... would be unique. I want to have the only PCX in America with idle stop, wait no I don't, that's just too impractical with 1.99 a gallon fuel prices :D

Well good luck with that... how can I help? I do have the 2015 owners manual and a functioning parking brake that not even the dealer could adjust properly but it's not that hard.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:
asoulakis64 wrote:I understand what you mean an I am sure you are right because you have it on your bike and you can use it every day.
Human nature... I suspected this to be the underlying reason for such effort with so little practical use. We are driven to individuality and to have the only parking brake in your country... would be unique. I want to have the only PCX in America with idle stop, wait no I don't, that's just too impractical with 1.99 a gallon fuel prices :D

Well good luck with that... how can I help? I do have the 2015 owners manual and a functioning parking brake that not even the dealer could adjust properly but it's not that hard.

Pissing away $1.99 a gallon is such a cheap way to be a twat. Can't your once great nation do better?
asoulakis64

Post by asoulakis64 »

I am sorry for my late answer but it was early in the morning when I received your post.
You are right about idle-stop it won't make any difference in the consumption of the bike or in the pollution for such a small engine even for me which a leave in the capital with a lot of traffic and all those stop lights driving every day more than 60 miles and with oil price 5.8$ a gallon.
If you want to help me you can upload a foto showing how is bolt on the cable stay bracket of the parking brake on the master cylinder of the CBS which is under the frond frame for speedometer holding.
Thank you
asoulakis64

Post by asoulakis64 »

As for practical reason it would be interesting if I could order the new pcx with the OEM alarm the remote and the led ring on the main switch key hole which I have seen in the net.
It is not available in Europe.
It is very difficult to find the key hole during night and with no light around and also I have seen a few pcx with the led control unit burned when they tried to install an aftermarket alarm as Honda does not provide an alarm as an extra accessory yet.
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

A compact car with a 2 litre engine consumes about a litre of fuel per hour idling in traffic when it is at operating temperature. A 150 cc engine will consume a fraction of that.

I was stuck in gridlock traffic last night on my 50cc for 40 minutes and lane splitting is illegal here, yet when I filled up this morning and tracked the fuel consumption on Fuelly, my fuel consumption number was no worse than the typical tank. The complexity and additional wear and tear of an idle stop system is not worth it to save a tenth of litre of gas imo.

On my morning commute where I have to wait three to seven cycles to get through one particular stop light at the bottom of a hill, I usually just shut off the engine when I stop at the beginning of the queue and push it down the hill. But mostly so I don't have to breathe in two stroke exhaust for five to ten minutes. I detour via a side route when I know that wait times will be in the upper end of that scale.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

asoulakis64 wrote:If you want to help me you can upload a foto showing how is bolt on the cable stay bracket of the parking brake on the master cylinder of the CBS which is under the frond frame for speedometer holding.
Thank you
I will get out the service manual and see if I can show the route and fasteners that hold the parking brake cabling to include all you are seeking in drawing. Sorry but my scoot is in cold storage right now and fully assembled and when I had it striped down I did not notice the parking brake cabling routing.
asoulakis64

Post by asoulakis64 »

Thank you i will wait
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: White /red

Post by MikeP »

I have to tell my story. When I first got my bike, I religiously used the park brake thinking that was the best practice to keep the bike from rolling forward and falling. Well on the maiden voyage with my daughter, I forgot to realease it in my excitment of the ride, and we rode 35km to a coffee house. When I parked it, the heat of of my rear drum was insane. Could have fried up a whole mess of bacon and eggs! It took over an hour to cool down. Thankfully after I later checked the brakes, no damage was done, just shortend the life of the pads. Ever since the I do not use it. I have since learned to park it safetly using either the side or center stand. For me the parking brake was a disaster.
Lets see how I do with the Abus Detecto 2 disk lock! :lol:
Happiness is two wheels and a full tank of gas!
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

asoulakis64 wrote:Thank you i will wait
Well my friend someone else can verify but I set out to map the cabling from the parking brake knob to the CBS and any and all of its supporting brackets for you today and was very surprised to find no diagrams or photos in the 2013-2015 SM. Described as the "Brake Lock Operation" (inspection and adjustment) is the only information offered in the maintenance section on page 3-21. I could be mistaken so don't take this as the final word but it seems Honda would leave this to people replacing the p-brake system and not installing one from scratch thus Honda didn't bother to offer detailed diagrams. In other words if you have one it would be easy enough to replace but if you don't Honda isn't going to help you add one in the SM. This is understandable as Honda never thought anyone would try ;) Can you get your money back on the parts because as you said no one in your country can show you a parking brake installed to mimic, but maybe someone here will tear down someday and show you the connections.
asoulakis64

Post by asoulakis64 »

Thank you for searching but to return the parts I think is impossible because us I already told you I purchased the parts from US shop and I leave in the other half of the World so returning the parts would be very expensive.
Also the pcx I have is the third one on the role and installing a parking brake was a project I wanted to execute since my first pcx.
As you probably know webike offer's another type of parking brake which can be installed on the rear brake's lever.
A friend of mine with a heavily modified pcx has installed it and works very well.
But it is not OEM so I didn't want to follow his way.
There are two cases here us I can see here whether try to find the way to install the brake by myself looking the fotos from HONDA'S part catalog or waiting until someone send me a foto of the part installed on the bike.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Too bad this wasn't posted a little bit earlier. I just put my bike back together. I had almost all of the plastic off so that i could rework some of the wires i had installed. I didn't even notice where the parking brake attached. The front pieces of plastic are difficult to get off, so i wouldn't want to do it again, unless i had to.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

asoulakis64 do you have the US headlight frame (with the metal protrusion where the parking brake attaches too)???
asoulakis64

Post by asoulakis64 »

Yes i had to purchase for installing the brake a few spare parts like the front frame the inner black cover the brake cable stay the parking brake cable the brake knob plastic cover and of course the master cylinder for CBS,
So they are enough spare parts for this mod and i do not want to live those part on the shelf just wathing them.
And you are right about getting a part all those plastic.
The 2015 model has a lot better construction quality than the previus models and the plastics has too firmly attached and it is very difficult to dissamble them.
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

Well... it sounds like you have all the parts.
Start replacing the parts and the "cable to cbs" should make sense.
I don't remember how that attaches exactly... the parking brake was one of the first things I removed :)
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

dasshreddar wrote:Well... it sounds like you have all the parts.
Start replacing the parts and the "cable to cbs" should make sense.
I don't remember how that attaches exactly... the parking brake was one of the first things I removed :)
He doesn't have a replacement project, that would be easy. He's wanting to do a first time installation of a parking brake on a non-parking equipped model. An interesting proposal but might be in vain if the CBS sold on non equipped models is something less in access than CBS's on our US versions.

We need actual pictures of the linkage so he can know if he has a compatible system to install a lock brake.... kinda cool project 8)