where can you park a scooter

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

dog64bull
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

where can you park a scooter

Post by dog64bull »

where should I park my scooter at when I go to walmart or lowes or something like that??? Can I park it where those handicapped lines be at??
Attachments
32.gif
32.gif (25.33 KiB) Viewed 1601 times
NMpdx13
Year: 2015
Color: black

Re: where can you park a scooter

Post by NMpdx13 »

No, those lines are specifically for the handicapped spaces. They are put there because usually passengers of the handicapped spaces need extra space to get out (ie: if they're in a wheelchair, or what not).
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

I wouldn't park it next to a handicap spot.

A) The guy might be on crutches.
B) Depending on what their handicap is, your scoot might end up on its side with a cracked panel.

I do however, park it on the lines(not necessarily handicap), if I determine that it's not where the fire truck is supposed to park, and if I typically see other 2-wheeled vehicles parked there. If all else fails, you have every right to occupy a full stall by yourself if there isn't a specifically designated area for motorcycles/mopeds/scooters.
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

Sometimes I find some great spots by the entrance like between the red concrete balls at Target, or in an obscure place between structural columns where people would not normally walk. I parked at Costco today in a wide walkway in line with a bollard to the side. Then my office building has designated motorcycle parking stalls I pay $55 a month for. Car spots are $175 a month.

If all else fails and I can't find a suitable non standard parking spot, I'll just take up a normal entire parking stall.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
chucktuna
I'm up to 12 or 13 now...
I'm up to 12 or 13 now...
Color: Black

Post by chucktuna »

dog64bull wrote:where should I park my scooter at when I go to walmart or lowes or something like that??? Can I park it where those handicapped lines be at??

These lines are there in handicap spots to allow ramps to extend from these type of vehicles:

Too many scoots..... 12 or so I think .
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Except if you own a Lexus or MB. I have handicap tags on my cars and my scooters. Yet there are times that i have gone to the store only to watch a Lexus pull into the spot before i can...no plackard or handicap tag. I would roll down my window and tell them that the space is for the handicapped....their reply? "I'LL ONLY BE A MINUTE"....and then they would walk away. This is somewhat common here in Atlanta, Georgia..I confess that i didnt know that was a valid excuse. I also see many of them park in that space between handicap spaces....you know, that one we are discussing. Of course, where i live they seem to make their own rules anyway. I know, it could be anyone driving anything. But i notice that owners of these two car brands are worse than any others at breaking the rules, and being the most discourteous. I have evenn seen them pull up in front of the store in the fire lane, get out of their car and go into the store. Again, they might be only going in there for a moment, but if there is a fire they are going to have to run out and move their vehicle, if they can get out of the store. Fire Lanes are there for a reason.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I see handicap tags on 1000 lb Harley's. What's up with that? IMO if you can push a 1000 lb Harley around you can walk an extra 50 ft in the parking lot.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I know of several vets who have prosthetic limbs but ride still. I have had 6 back surgeries and 2 knee surgeries, yet i dont want to give up my riding. There are times when riding is painful, and it becomes a mind over matter thing. Other times, riding is great, but once i park and try to get off of the scooter, my back locks up and i have to sit for a few minutes until it relaxes. Then i climb off of it and move slowly until my back and knees get use to moving again.
Last year i met a guy who had a prosthetic leg but rode a Harley. He told me that he would ride until he couldn't. We are a strange breed.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dkazzed »

It's common everywhere. It's 1-2% of the population, but it's a problem when only 1-2% of the parking spaces are designated handicap spaces.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I pulled into a place a couple of days ago that had a clearly marked handicap space. It just happened to be right in front of a store. As i came up to the spot, a large suv (Lexus, of course) was backing into it. He had no handicap tag or plackard. I asked if he was handicapped, after i had parked in the parking space beside him. His reply was what i hear all the time..."I will only be a minute". So i sat in my car just to see if he indeed would only be a minute. After 10 minutes i decided to go ahead and do what i had come there to do. It took me about 30 minutes. When i came out to my car to leave, his vehicle was still there in the handicap parking space. 1 or 2% are handicapped. What percentage of the population are just plain arrogant and rude?! This is a pattern these days. The spaces are there for a reason. If i see a handivan looking for a handicap space, i will flag them and move my car. Obviously there are some people who are not handicapped that don't care who is. What can you do but shake your head? I bet their attitude would change if they suddenly were put in a situation where they were in danger....maybe. After all, they didn't get where they are in life by being mindful of others.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I have a buddy who is 74 with two artificial hips and one needs a revision but he refuses to have it done (thinks he will die on the table) and is in a lot of pain. He is beyond the safety margin riding of his two Harley's but refuses to downsize or get rid of them. His wife has refused to ride with him for a few years now. His retired neighbor picked up a Cam three wheeler and rides all of the time now but he refuses to admit he is past that heavy two-wheel phase putting himself and others at significant risk IMO. He has been spotted struggling at stops signs, etc.. He only took one ride in the last 4 months so hopefully he will stop trying. It is sad but he needs to face reality before someone gets hurt.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

Mel46 wrote:I pulled into a place a couple of days ago that had a clearly marked handicap space. It just happened to be right in front of a store. As i came up to the spot, a large suv (Lexus, of course) was backing into it. He had no handicap tag or plackard. I asked if he was handicapped, after i had parked in the parking space beside him. His reply was what i hear all the time..."I will only be a minute". So i sat in my car just to see if he indeed would only be a minute. After 10 minutes i decided to go ahead and do what i had come there to do. It took me about 30 minutes. When i came out to my car to leave, his vehicle was still there in the handicap parking space. 1 or 2% are handicapped. What percentage of the population are just plain arrogant and rude?! This is a pattern these days. The spaces are there for a reason. If i see a handivan looking for a handicap space, i will flag them and move my car. Obviously there are some people who are not handicapped that don't care who is. What can you do but shake your head? I bet their attitude would change if they suddenly were put in a situation where they were in danger....maybe. After all, they didn't get where they are in life by being mindful of others.
Next time you tell him "if you'll only be a minute, then you'll be back before the tow truck impounds your vehicle" :D .
Driller
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Driller »

I ride with a friend who has a HC tag on his Harley. Neuropathy makes walking any distance painful and he gets looks and comments all the time when he parks in a designated site.
I do wonder about some of the places I park my scoots. Sometimes it is a challenge finding an appropriate spot when I would like to chain the bike. A disc lock doesn't provide much security when a couple of husky fellows can just pick the bike up and throw it in the back of a truck. :(
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dkazzed »

I figured if it happens, it happens. That's what I bought comprehensive insurance for. An angle grinder can cut through the best U-Locks and Chains in under a minute so you're not going to stop a determined thief.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

My wife and i both have handicap tags on our scooters. We have been stopped by concerned people many times to ask how we could be handicap and still ride bikes. We kindly explain to them that these are scooters that do not require shifting gears. We also explain to them that there are 3 wheeled versions which are ideal for handicapped people. So, in short, scooters are great for the handicapped.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

These scooters are light and maneuverable and make a lot more sense for riders with limitations or even the latest three wheelers. If you tip some big heavy bikes a bit too far there is no stopping them and it doesn't take much. Add that to an incline at a stop sign and it becomes a problem very quickly. I suspect Harley and other companies lobby for it since that is a big market. The accident statistics for older more limited riders on large bikes is not good in the US with so many extending it longer these days. I am not sure what [they] are going to do eventually but handicap plates doesn't help the real situation out on the road - at least not here in the US.
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dkazzed »

I am suffering from a particularly painful episode of gout right now that is making it difficult for me to walk and even drive, but being able to twist and go in my scooter is super easy. So yes I understand.

Scooters have a lower centre of gravity too which makes them less susceptible to tipping over.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Lighten up?
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

I park my scoot near the door when I go to Target, Meijers', K-mart and so on. Never had a problem. I park in bicycle parking area at my work.
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Like up on the sidewalk? That would be nice and i do see bikes up there sometimes.
Last edited by SECoda on Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.