The left turn light hates me

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

NMpdx13
Year: 2015
Color: black

The left turn light hates me

Post by NMpdx13 »

So, what do you do when the left turn light doesn't feel like turning green for you? I waited, and waited, and waited, but obviously I stopped waiting because I'm typing this message :lol: I just moved over to the other lane and took a right instead...

But if you're in morning traffic or whatever, I'm assuming, if there's a car behind you, it'll trigger the light. But what if there isn't?
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Re: The left turn light hates me

Post by dkazzed »

I would roll my scooter back and forth over the sensor hoping to find the more sensitive portion. On my bicycle sometimes I would lay it flat on the sensor lol but I'm not doing that with a motor bike. Sometimes I figure a car will come soon to trigger the light. But if all else fails, I'll put the scooter up on the centre stand and run to push the pedestrian button.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
NMpdx13

Post by NMpdx13 »

Yeah, I was doing the rolling back and forth thing too, but that didn't do squat ...
RusticCharm
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: red

Post by RusticCharm »

Check the laws in Oregon. Wisconsin allows you to go through red lights when your scooter doesn't trip the signal.
NMpdx13

Post by NMpdx13 »

Not legal in Oregon, but legal in Washington.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-north ... now_a.html
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

My brain tells me that I can see more than a traffic light and hopefully I'm more intelligent. If there is no other traffic in sight (and no cop cars), I proceed with caution.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

I thought I saw a thread on here quite some time ago that talked about putting magnets somewhere near the bottom of the frame which causes the road sensor to trip. Does anyone else recall that?
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Indeed - I remember the discussion. In fact, I went so far as to find some magnets on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008AZDIY2/ref ... X1ZDNMYENA

I never pulled the trigger, but the wish list is a great function.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

It depends on the system your state uses if these will work or a magnet.

http://www.thelightknight.com/traffic-light-changer.php

http://www.revzilla.com/product/amanet- ... ht-changer
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

We have one very old light and nothing seems to work on it. We just blow though it but it is somewhat rural.

In Missouri the law is we can blow it with this guideline:

The motorcycle or bicycle must come to a complete stop at the intersection, and the driver must deem he or she has been waiting for an unreasonable amount of time (they need to put a time in here). In that case, it must be recognized that the traffic signal was apparently malfunctioning or not recognizing the arrival of the vehicle.

Finally, no vehicle should be approaching the intersection when the driver attempts to go through the red light.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

I just found this 2013 article online: http://advgrrl.com/2013/11/28/motorcycl ... se-states/
.....while trying to find info for my State. Still looking, found zip, so far.
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Ouu....here's a neat website The AMA, with all kinds of legal goobily-gop :D
>>>> PICK YOUR STATE IN THE DROP-DOWN BOX FIRST <<<<

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/rig ... stateid=32
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Here in Illinois, I get to wait three minutes which is a lifetime if you are sitting there knowing it will not turn green. Then I blow the light according to the drivers test manual I read... once... after I failed :lol: So yes read the law and maybe you can run the light in your state after a set time. Haven't been busted for this yet so maybe the police get it.

BTW Chief never waits more than 2 minutes
Attachments
mac&chief.jpg
mac&chief.jpg (8.92 KiB) Viewed 1203 times
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

NMpdx13 wrote:So, what do you do when the left turn light doesn't feel like turning green for you? I waited, and waited, and waited, but obviously I stopped waiting because I'm typing this message :lol: I just moved over to the other lane and took a right instead...

But if you're in morning traffic or whatever, I'm assuming, if there's a car behind you, it'll trigger the light. But what if there isn't?

Perhaps avoid it or just do what is sensible and safe? Other people probably have the same kind of issues on their daily drive/ride
OriginalRocket
Regular User
Regular User

Post by OriginalRocket »

homie wrote:Here in Illinois, I get to wait three minutes which is a lifetime if you are sitting there knowing it will not turn green. Then I blow the light according to the drivers test manual I read... once... after I failed :lol: So yes read the law and maybe you can run the light in your state after a set time. Haven't been busted for this yet so maybe the police get it.

BTW Chief never waits more than 2 minutes
The law is 120 seconds, then proceed when safe to do so. But this does not apply to municipalities (cities) that reside in a county with more than 2 million population... So basically anywhere except the giant patch of land called Cook County (Chicago). Luckily I live a few miles south of that cesspit!

I keep a printout and highlighted the section of the law in my scooter and motorcycle. In case a cop needs some education when the time comes.

Usually I can trigger the light, sometimes putting down the side stand on the sensor works, but just roll the wheels over and bingo, if you find a light not working, it is the failure of the city, and their responsibility to make it work for all legal road going vehicles.

Luckily I've never had to run a red that is monitored by a ATM. That day will be fun...
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I put magnets on my center stand. It worked for an entire summer. Then i lost them. I am not sure how you can make sure that they don't fall off. It only takes a bump in the road or a pot hole.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Mel46 wrote:I put magnets on my center stand. It worked for an entire summer. Then i lost them. I am not sure how you can make sure that they don't fall off. It only takes a bump in the road or a pot hole.
You guys are serious about magnets aren't you? It might be worth a try this spring as I have two of these irritating left stop lights close to my house and if they don't outlaw the cameras in Illinois soon (as they are going to court now) I will need a good solution.