Measuring the oil level. The scooter is on the center stand.

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

yak
Minister of Magic
Minister of Magic
Year: 2013
Color: black

Measuring the oil level. The scooter is on the center stand.

Post by yak »

The previous owner of my 2013 PCX bent the stand. One of the pegs is bent back. I used a vice grip to straighten it out but the bike is not "level" when using the center stand. Can i test the oil level with the bike sitting with both wheels on the ground? If not, what should i do to get the most accurate reading of my oil level? Should i roll the rear wheel onto a 2 inch block of wood to simulate the position of the center stand?
stryder123
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 forza
Color: Red

Re: Measuring the oil level. The scooter is on the center st

Post by stryder123 »

Set it up the way you will check it every time so it will be consistent. Drain the oil then refill it with the exact right amount of oil. Check how high it is on the dip stick and you will know that is the correct amount from then on.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I think you could get a scrap piece of 2 x 6 and put it under the bike just in front of the centerstand. Then use pieces of 2x4 to level the bike, and you should then have a makeshift center stand. You will need some help at first. Use a level to check it, but it should be level.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

Step 1: put on center stand and check oil level
Step 2: prop up as if center stand weren't bent and check oil level

If it is the same for both checks you're fine, if not then prop it up from now on.
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150

Post by tbln930 »

Buy Harbor Freight 1500 lb motorcycle lift on sale after coupon for $75. Lift bike and change oil. Use it for all future maintenance.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
yak
Minister of Magic
Minister of Magic

Post by yak »

Thanks for the ideas. The dealership put it on a lift and said that i had filled it correctly (by measuring the oil before i poured it in). I probably won't pay $75 for a lift so i can check the oil. I had not thought about using a level .... i will do that. A mechanic looked at the bent peg and said that it could be straightened with a vice grip. But it did not turn out completely flat..... it buckled a bit as i pulled on it.
Dustoff66
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011

Post by Dustoff66 »

I bought one of the Harbor Freight lifts 2 years ago. For the less than $75 coupon price it's a good deal and it really helps with cleaning. I can raise my PCX to a good height for getting the road crap off those little nooks & crannies, cleaning the wheels, etc. Just be really sure to secure your bike with ratchet straps BEFORE you lift. My neighbor didn't and had the sad experience of watching his bike topple off from 2 feet high. Cost him over $1200.
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

I leave the strap on it so i dont forget. I use the lift a lot too.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

SECoda/tbln930
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Dustoff66 wrote:I bought one of the Harbor Freight lifts 2 years ago. For the less than $75 coupon price it's a good deal and it really helps with cleaning. I can raise my PCX to a good height for getting the road crap off those little nooks & crannies, cleaning the wheels, etc. Just be really sure to secure your bike with ratchet straps BEFORE you lift. My neighbor didn't and had the sad experience of watching his bike topple off from 2 feet high. Cost him over $1200.
Once the road 'crap' is on the wheels and in all the nooks and crannies - what's the best way to clean it off? I know you can spray some protective stuff on before hand, but once grim is there and with no protective layer - what's a good thing to get the muck off? Plain water and drying or some spray?
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

I have a 3000 psi power washer but you need to be careful with that. I use it to clean my concrete sidewalk and it literally takes the surface off of it or a wood deck. It can even remove corrosion but..... :oops: it can hurt finished surface too.

SECoda/tbln930
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

When i wash ours with a standard garden hose i can adjust the spray with the nozzle. Most dirt comes right off, but then you can soap up the bike with standard car washing soap and a big sponge (just don't consider using Sponge Bob. Your kids or grandkids won't appreciate that.) Be careful with the spray around the bearings. Otherwise, everything should be fine. When our local shop works on our bikes they always wash them afterwards. They use the air hose to dry them off, being careful around the bearings. All in all, the pcx is not hard to wash. I had a Harley that was much harder to clean. It had chrome everywhere.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Chief says... take the stand off and beat the crap out of it until its level :roll: touch up paint, put back on and dip your wick properly. Take you about 30 minutes.
Attachments
mac&chief.jpg
mac&chief.jpg (8.92 KiB) Viewed 1300 times
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

yak, maybe you can find a lift cheaper on Craigslist? Sometimes folks buy them use a few times or not at all, and then put them up for sale. Just a thought. Sorry about your bent center stand. Geez, a shame :(

homie...Seriously? Can it be straightened by removing it and smacking it straight? What tools? Using a hammer and vise? What? :roll:
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Dustoff66
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Dustoff66 »

WhiteNoise wrote:yak, maybe you can find a lift cheaper on Craigslist? Sometimes folks buy them use a few times or not at all, and then put them up for sale. Just a thought. Sorry about your bent center stand. Geez, a shame :(

homie...Seriously? Can it be straightened by removing it and smacking it straight? What tools? Using a hammer and vise? What? :roll:
HEAT the stand before you pound! Put it in a vise, heat it with a nice blowtorch -- the low-end small propane one will work fine -- THEN pound it straight. Or, just spring for a new one.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

^^ Perfect assistance, thanks for explaining Dustoff66 :P
yak, does that help Ya?

Funny and :oops: ... I plum forgot that you have the option of buying a new one. (I am getting old(er)

2013 PCX main stand: http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemparts ... 20fd/stand
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

I know - they are nearly free as are most of the PCX parts. ;) I don't mind having some spare parts on hand at the PCX prices. I can tell you that airplanes are quite another matter on parts.

SECoda/tbln930
yak
Minister of Magic
Minister of Magic

Post by yak »

I did think about the blowtorch approach. Then looked at the gas tank and had 2nd thoughts. I didn't think about removing the stand first. I wonder if i can just put a tiny shim under the unbent peg to even them up when measuring the oil level? Or can i go back to my original idea and measure the oil with the scooter sitting on both wheels with no center stand? If so, how would that change the "reading" on the dipstick..... put in a bit more oil or a bit less oil to top up?
I should replace the center stand but i won't. I am getting better at DIY projects but i am still not very handy. I don't want to do it (even if WhiteNoise reassures me that i can).
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

Did you see the main part of the center stand is like $18. That is the price of a movie ticket and a small popcorn.

SECoda/tbln930
Dustoff66
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Dustoff66 »

yak wrote:I did think about the blowtorch approach. Then looked at the gas tank and had 2nd thoughts. I didn't think about removing the stand first.
..........Holy cow, PLEASE remove it before you torch! :) Unless of course you're looking for the melted plastic effect. Taking the stand off ( on a lift ) is pretty easy, and as has been mentioned a new one is not that expensive. I wouldn't go with a shim because if you're ever parked on uneven ground and the shim's not just right you might return to find your baby resting on its side.
forza300
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by forza300 »

Interesting. I usually measure oil level when the bike is standing vertical on 2 wheels (pretty easy even single-handed), not on the stand. I've done this for the last 8 or 9 bikes i owned. Maybe I need to re-read the PCX manual? :?
------------------------