Forza Shocks

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Grady
Year: 2014
Color: silver grey

Forza Shocks

Post by Grady »

I have two Forzas. One for me and one for her. She is a bit short. Event with three inch boot heels she cannot put the heels down on the ground when she stops. This is instable and I have repainted her bike twice because it has fallen over on her. Solution - remove an inch of the rear shock springs? Before I make the change, let me ask, has anyone done this successfully? Are there any problems in doing this? Will it work?

Grady
glencoeman
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Forza Shocks

Post by glencoeman »

If you shorten the shocks, you will probably lose ground clearance which could be dangerous. Have you looked at alternative bike boots? Daytona Lady Star boots (although expensive) add about an inch to the heels to assist in touching the ground.
stryder123
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 forza
Color: Red

Post by stryder123 »

One option to consider is to have the seat redone to lower it.
speedandstyle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by speedandstyle »

Can the stock shocks be taken apart? Most factory shocks can't.

The YSS shock might be adjustable to a lower position than stock.
http://www.powerbyforza.com/boutique-ta ... s_yss.html

I have seen lowering mounts on Forzas from Thailand. The part must exist but where to fit it, I don't know.

Another option is to trade her in on a taller model! :D
BRed
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2023 XMax 300
Color: Grey and black

Post by BRed »

Have you tried backing off the preload on the OEM shocks?

It won't give it a lower parked profile but it will allow a bit more sag, maybe as much as an inch or so, when loaded with a rider's weight.
The stock setting is the middle position so try it in the lowest position (you'll need a Forza shock spanner!)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

BRed wrote: (you'll need a Forza shock spanner!)
No you won't, they can be turned easily with your bare hands.
To do the one on the exhaust side undo the bottom bolt, move the shock back, adjust it to the desired setting and bolt it back in place.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Grady

Post by Grady »

Yes, I have set the shock to the lowest point so the are as 'soft' as they can be set.

She already has three inch heels on her boots.

And this might be of interest. I attended a motor cycle show a month ago and Honda was there. I happened to ask the right fellow about the problem and what could be done. (His knowledge was as if he had worked in the Forza factory)

Shock springs can be modified. He said a small amount removed would make a big difference and recommended removing only 3 millimetres then re-installing the shocks to check if the problem is solved. If not then another 3 millimetres could be removed. Be very careful, but if you go too far, you can always buy new shocks and install them.

The seat cover is stapled on. You can remove the cover and with sandpaper around a dowel the foam may be sanded carefully to remove some of the cushioning. Then with a staple gun, re-apply the cover. He also recommended buying a new seat to have in reserve so that when the bike was to be sold in the future the new seat would be needed.

The four center handlebar Alan key bolts may be backed off and the handle bars can be adjusted then retighten the bolts and test to see that they are tight enough.

I have added the taller windshield and the accessory box to the back of the bike.
SteveP
Regular User
Regular User
Color: red

Post by SteveP »

Grady wrote: Shock springs can be modified. He said a small amount removed would make a big difference and recommended removing only 3 millimetres then re-installing the shocks to check if the problem is solved. If not then another 3 millimetres could be removed. Be very careful, but if you go too far, you can always buy new shocks and install them.

3 millimeters??? 1/8"? He must be referring to shortening the whole spring/shock unit that much, not just the spring. The upper spring perch must somehow come off to allow that.

As suppose she's already tried this,...the seat narrows at the front and the floor board width narrows at the rear, where the side stand is located. When coming to a stop, scoot forward on the seat and put your feet down back by the side stand.
Grady

Post by Grady »

I have found this link, but have not checked it out.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7536533_lower-s ... cycle.html
speedandstyle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by speedandstyle »

If the shocks can be taken apart then you can cut the spring.3mm is a very small amount. That amount could be simply ground off the ends rather than actually cutting the spring. Perhaps that is what he meant?

Cutting a spring does have a down side and that is the spring is weaker{spring rate}. Not that it will break but that it can't handle as much load. This often makes the spring feel much softer and will bottom out easier. Grinding off 3mm would not change the spring rate and I bet is what he was talking about.
SteveP
Regular User
Regular User
Color: red

Post by SteveP »

speedandstyle wrote:If the shocks can be taken apart then you can cut the spring.3mm is a very small amount. That amount could be simply ground off the ends rather than actually cutting the spring. Perhaps that is what he meant?

Cutting a spring does have a down side and that is the spring is weaker{spring rate}. Not that it will break but that it can't handle as much load. This often makes the spring feel much softer and will bottom out easier. Grinding off 3mm would not change the spring rate and I bet is what he was talking about.
Wouldn't cutting (shortening) a coil spring raise the spring rate (stiffen it)? A coil spring is in effect a torsion bar twisted into a coil shape...the shorter the torsion bar the stiffer it is.
speedandstyle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by speedandstyle »

SteveP wrote:
speedandstyle wrote:If the shocks can be taken apart then you can cut the spring.3mm is a very small amount. That amount could be simply ground off the ends rather than actually cutting the spring. Perhaps that is what he meant?

Wouldn't cutting (shortening) a coil spring raise the spring rate (stiffen it)? A coil spring is in effect a torsion bar twisted into a coil shape...the shorter the torsion bar the stiffer it is.
OOPs you are right and I knew that, had a brain hick-up. However a shortened spring will not be able to carry as much of a load before bottoming out. Got those two mixed up in my head. I learned all this a couple of years ago when I wanted to lower a car and a friend explained why buying springs was the better option.

Here is a page that explains a lot. It is for cars but the physics are the same.
http://craig.backfire.ca/pages/autos/cutting-springs
Grady

Post by Grady »

I only have to lower her about half an inch to achieve heel touchdown. At the dealer yesterday, I checked to see if Honda has a 16 inch shock absorber for the rear wheel that I could use to replace the 17 inch Forza shocks, but there seems to be nothing available. Is anyone aware of a shorter replacement shock for the Forza?
BRed
Regular User
Regular User

Post by BRed »

If you need a slightly shorter shock, you should try to contact YSS USA.

They helped us configure a custom replacement shock for the Big Ruckus, which used an 18" long mono-shock.

By using different length clevis and rod end eyelets with standard shock bodies and components, they said they could get overall length within 1/4" of any desired length. The YSS shock I installed on one BR had almost an inch of length adjustment after it was installed.

Ohlins can do the same thing when it comes to designing a shock but it will cost at least twice as much as YSS.
You need very precise detailed measurements of the OEM shock to do this.

The Forza has an unusual swinging engine mount that appears to be part of the frame suspension, so be aware of that....
it may limit how much you can change the rear height without addressing the front suspension.
BRed
Regular User
Regular User

Post by BRed »

here's my somewhat dated contact information for custom shocks by YSS USA:

Klaus Huenecke

"Klaus Huenecke" <sales@yssusa.com>

732-786-9777

This was from 2012 but at least the email should still be good.....
Klaus was very helpful and had experience with several different major suspension brands for motorcycles and scooters.

it should be easy since I've seen YSS shocks for Forza listed on several Euro sites....
I don't know if those existing YSS models have length adjustment or how they compare to stock length.
That might be your first inquiry?
Grady

Post by Grady »

Thank you for all the help with this problem. We have had the foam in the seat professionally reduced by about an inch then reupholstered. She now has better control of her Forza when she is stopped and she'll safely ride for her bike license test soon.
Grady

Post by Grady »

And, she passed.
wilbur
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 Forza ABS
Color: The fast color