My Alaskan ride

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

AKforza
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 Forza
Color: red

My Alaskan ride

Post by AKforza »

Splitting time between Alaska and Hawaii (where my Forza is) leaves me with the summer ridding season in Alaska and my tiger. Purchased the 800 XC last year and my first big ride was the Dust to Dawson (D2D), Dawson City, Yukon Canada. I was glad I switched out the stock scorps for a set of Heids K60s as the road conditions going over were noted by one well seasoned rider attending his 14th D2D, the worst road conditions he had ever seen. Precip was either wet or frozen or a combination of both with reports of a foot of new snow at the Gold Creek border station. Not bad for solstice weekend mid June! Most of the road was turned to slop by the time we got there with the calcium chloride making the road surface about three-four inches of slippery goo. Didn't get a lot of time for trying the tiger in the dirt before this trip but got an education buy the time I got to Dawson. Going Home was nothing but sun and the Top of the World highway is an awesome piece of dirt road.

Packed mostly dry bags for that trip in order to see how folks set up their bikes. I had about 250 other rides to compare. So after that trip I started putting some things together from observing the set ups I liked. I bought the bike with the extended fender, adjustable windscreen, heated grips, crash bars, and headlight protectors. I've since added an Altrider luggage rack (set up for mono key mounting), a set of Jessie hard luggage and mounting rack, as top load made more sense to me. Also the mounting system provides some symmetry. I hate the look of major exhaust offsets. The mounting system is sturdy and I can easily hang some dry bags when I want to change out the hard luggage. Added the Touratech exhaust guards and will be putting on some Rox adjustable risers (needed if you are 6' 1" and going to stand on your pegs all day), GPS mount and a new garmin 660 navigator.

The bike is one sweet ride and can do really well in the dirt and even better on the road making it a great dual sport. The gear box is so smooth and the bike is snappy and very responsive. Ergos are well positioned and the bike has an incredible natural balance, and is surprising for how high it sits with the 21 " front wheel. Seat is adjustable with a high and low position. My airhawk 2 made the 1200 mile trip comfortable. The suspension was great even loaded down and I'm no light weight at 220 lbs but it was a very comfortable ride and floated over the bumps. My model has ABS and can be turned off with a little button effort for the dirt. Braking is smooth and direct. The engine has plenty of power and is a smooth quick delivery and well what can I say, the moment you turn it on it speaks to you with the best sound a triple can make.

Triumph is listening to its ridership as the 2015 models now have adjustable front forks and electronic rides modes for improved performance as well as improved MPG.
This year the Dawson trip is locked in with the Dempster and Dalton Highways in my sights.
Attachments
Bars and protectors
Bars and protectors
IMG_0123.JPG (119.9 KiB) Viewed 3924 times
Bags on
Bags on
retouch 2.png (753.14 KiB) Viewed 3924 times
extended windscreen
extended windscreen
IMG_0159.JPG (180.47 KiB) Viewed 3924 times
left side mount and Altrider rack
left side mount and Altrider rack
IMG_0063.JPG (117.34 KiB) Viewed 3924 times
IMG_0121.JPG
IMG_0121.JPG (172.02 KiB) Viewed 3924 times
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Re: My Alaskan ride

Post by tbln930 »

I thought I had it pretty darn good but you are really starting to make me jealous as heck. Now you are tooling around my favorite state too - besides Hawaii? You must be independently wealthy or have won the lottery. :lol: Need any help spending it?

I hope you can manage some Alaskan pictures as well with your Tiger/bike (maybe one outrunning a grey wolf). I had the family when I flew into Alaska the last time (straight to Anchorage)and had a giant SUV. :( I have a relative that runs a heli tour business in Skagway and if we go there next I may just have to leave the wife in town and rent a bike.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
AKforza
Regular User
Regular User

Post by AKforza »

I see you have a Forza so I know we have similar taste in rides. I love my Forza. I have 43 yrs in Alaska and have been traveling to Hawaii the Big Island since 1983 almost every year, only started increasing my Hawaii time the last five years to three to four trips a year. Just retired from the IBEW after 36 yrs in the construction industry from roads to buildings to communications. Not wealthy but comfortable and know what is important. Alaska summers I could never give up but I'm pretty done with the winters. Plan on going through Skagway this next Dawson trip as the White Pass out of Whitehorse is an awesome ride, then take the ferry to Haines and over the pass back to Alaska. If you come back up and want to ride Motoquest has an outlet in Anchorage for self guided tours of the state if your interested let me know. :D
Will pass on some AK pics
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

I really like the Forza for touring our Ozarks here. My wife's cousin manages the Temsco heli tour in Skagway.

2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

SECoda/tbln930
AKforza
Regular User
Regular User

Post by AKforza »

Temsco has been around for years in South East Alaska, good company. Did a two day 450 mile ride on the Island with a buddy on a VStrom it was a blast. The Forza was all over the twistys and we gave the V a run for the money! :D
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

I loved those Hawaii photos. I was there only three times but never to the big island. I think a Forza would be great on Maui too.

SECoda/tbln930
AKforza
Regular User
Regular User

Post by AKforza »

Here are a few pics from last years ride. 8)
Attachments
On the road to Chicken Alaska
On the road to Chicken Alaska
P1010534.jpg (78.68 KiB) Viewed 3847 times
Top of the World on a sunny day
Top of the World on a sunny day
P1010528.jpg (129.7 KiB) Viewed 3847 times
Downtown Hotel
Downtown Hotel
P1010461.jpg (126.36 KiB) Viewed 3847 times
Dawson City
Dawson City
P1010458.jpg (107.45 KiB) Viewed 3847 times
Ferry crossing at the Yukon River
Ferry crossing at the Yukon River
P1010522.jpg (83.18 KiB) Viewed 3847 times
Out of the mud tigers like it dirty!
Out of the mud tigers like it dirty!
P1010446.jpg (201.52 KiB) Viewed 3847 times
Top of the World border crossing
Top of the World border crossing
P1010444.jpg (122.12 KiB) Viewed 3847 times
Loaded and ready
Loaded and ready
D2D1.jpg (207.44 KiB) Viewed 3847 times
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

Superb! Thanks!

SECoda/tbln930
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Great pics. Looks like it was a unique trip - at least for most of us. Thanks for sharing.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

Do you pack a 44 mag or 454 Casull on that kind of a ride or maybe not allowed in the Yukon?

SECoda/tbln930
AKforza
Regular User
Regular User

Post by AKforza »

When in Alaska and camping or fishing I pack a Ruger Alaskan Redhawk 454 however, you got to be nuts to try to carry a pistol into Canada Very strict about all firearms but handguns are strictly outlawed and controlled. I don't like being in bear country naked but I respect that I am a visitor in another country and obey the laws of the land. If you have ever seen the Border Guards tearing apart a motorhome in search of contraband you would never risk trying to sneak something across. The most you'll see in my kit for that trip is a can of Bear Spray otherwise known as bear seasoning! :lol:
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

Yes - I traveled into Ontario at least 20 times (bear hunting once but mainly vacations) and use to watch the customs agents tearing into folks stuff in International Falls. MN/Fort Frances, ON. We always had a rifle but never a handgun.

SECoda/tbln930
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

Remind me to stay out of Canada!

@AKforza cool story and pics!
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

Its a nice country and my brother still goes up there every year but so many countries are missing our bill of rights. They often dont have basic rights like freedom of speech or the right to defend oneself and ones family that we take for granted. Canada is better than most.

SECoda/tbln930
AKforza
Regular User
Regular User

Post by AKforza »

Canada is awesome so please don't let their gun laws sway you from visiting. Canadians are like Alaskan brethren, we share more than borders and over the years I have met and made some very good friends with folks and have always found their country to be exceptionally beautiful and a great place to visit. It holds some of the most remote and starkly isolated communities with a frontier spirit where everyone watches out for each other. Hard to explain unless you have been on the receiving side of that kind of hospitality. You can still find it in Alaska when you get out of the cities and you can still find it in the Yukon. Oh did I mention I like the beer too! :D
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

Beer! I like beer! I could go there for that :D :D
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

Well I drink the Labatts Ale here sometimes. :P One of my first early girl friends was from Winnipeg (the daughter of an Air Canada pilot we met at the resort each year). I won't say any more than that. :lol:

SECoda/tbln930
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

I wonder how the Honda NC700x holds up against a Triumph Tiger 800 XC? I am still looking at adventure/play bikes. The Tigers are pretty rare in my area but Honda's abound.

SECoda/tbln930
AKforza
Regular User
Regular User

Post by AKforza »

Not much of a comparison I'm afraid two entirely different bikes.
AKforza
Regular User
Regular User

Post by AKforza »

Just at a glance on the specs the honda is a 670cc no HP rating but it isnt even close to the tiger @ 799cc with 95 HP.
Both liquid cooled, Honda twin SOHC 4 valve per cylinder vs Tiger triple DOHC 12 valves.
Bore and stroke Honda 73mm x 80mm vs Tiger 74mm x 61.9mm Low end torque
Honda 41 mm forks with 5.4 inch travel vs tiger Inverted Showa 45 mm forks with over 8" travel
both mono shock rear suspension Honda pro-link 5.9 inches travel vs Tiger Showa 8" travel
Honda single disc 320/240 mm vs tiger dual 308mm disc front single rear 255mm with switchable ABS both front and rear ( a must for dirt)
Honda R17 wheels Vs Tiger 21 " spoke wheels front and 17 rear (spokes are better for dirt)
Tiger has two inches of extra ground clearance over the Honda
Honda rake is 27 degrees while the Tiger is 24.3
Both are close on wheelbase with the tiger being slightly longer
Honda slightly lower seat height but Tiger is adjustable with low and high positions
Honda tank is 3.7 gal vs Tiger 5 gals
Swing Arm is dual sided on the Tiger not sure on the Honda

Now here is the really interesting part, when compairing the models with 6 speed and chain not the DCT tranny both come in wet weight the same at 474 lbs ! The Tiger is a triple has a five gal tank dual front dis brakes and i believe a heavier swing arm yet both bikes weigh the same. That speaks volumes to me.

Tiger has electronic ride modes for traction control Honda?????????????
Honda is 64 MPG with the new Tigers getting mid 50 MPG around town.
Again I don't think its much of a comparison when you look at power, design, and componets. If price is the major factor Id go for the 750cc over the 700 . The NC 700 I test rode was a bit of a dog in the throttle response. I would advise against the DCT tranny over the standard 6 speed only if you are going to be doing more dirt ridding. Traction and control in the dirt are improved by gear selection and throttle. ABS must be able to be switchable as you will find if you ever go down a hill in lose gravel.

Hope this helps
AK :)