50/50 Tires for PCX?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

gregsta
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: red

Re: 50/50 Tires for PCX?

Post by gregsta »

wojtek_pl wrote:If that is an arrow on the picture (bottom part of the tire, after "Michelin" and "front"), it is pointing correctly. But check for, perhaps, more direct mark on the tire (like "Rotation --->" )...
That is the arrow, i checked both tyres and the arrow is pointing that way. But thanks for the help.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

On the right side of the bike,( side with throttle) the arrow is pointing clockwise. Anti-clockwise on the left side of the bike.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Alibally wrote:On the right side of the bike,( side with throttle) the arrow is pointing clockwise. Anti-clockwise on the left side of the bike.

Jesus h Christ. Don't turn it into a Mensa test for them.
vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by vamootsman »

A lot of the confusion comes from the arrows that are known as the "chevron" or the "tread" of the front city grip tire pointing to the rear of the bike. As the tire rotates to the pavement while going forward, the grooves (chevron) would appear to push any water toward the center of the tire. Building up a channel of water in the center of the pavement/tire contact area would logically seem like a really f'n bad idea, unless you're piloting a hovercraft. So why do the michelin tires channel the water to the center? (or do they?) How do they overcome what appears to be obvious physics? I'm not trying to poke the bear, just interested in the answer.
2013 PCX 150 with,
Givi Tall Screen, and E370 Top Case
NCY Variator and Face Plate, 12 gram rollers
Takagawa Silent Oval Exhaust, K&N R1100 pod filter mod
YSS XL Rear Shock Absorbers Michelin City Grip 120/70 Front 140/70 Rear
2013 Honda CB500X with Rally Raid kit
2005 Piaggio X9 500 Evolution
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

The tyres (or front) seems to fitted correctly in the prior pics, and to my mind it seems to be the way it needs to be to dispel water (the tyre manufacturers know what they are doing). Think of it as the tyre leaves the road and is spinning to the rear of the bike - the water in the middle (where the angled tread comes to an end) is pushing water down the grove and out towards the outer edge due to rotational forces).
vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by vamootsman »

iceman wrote:The tyres (or front) seems to fitted correctly in the prior pics, and to my mind it seems to be the way it needs to be to dispel water (the tyre manufacturers know what they are doing). Think of it as the tyre leaves the road and is spinning to the rear of the bike - the water in the middle (where the angled tread comes to an end) is pushing water down the grove and out towards the outer edge due to rotational forces).
I have been doing precisely that for 30+ years. Are you looking at he front City Grip? If the pattern starts wide as it comes to the bottom (spinning forward) then narrows to the center, the water will be pushed to the center. Bicycle tires always do the opposite to avoid pushing water to the center. Why would a scooter tire be any different?
2013 PCX 150 with,
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S
wojtek_pl
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 PCX 125
Color: matt black

Post by wojtek_pl »

vamootsman wrote:A lot of the confusion comes from the arrows that are known as the "chevron" or the "tread" of the front city grip tire pointing to the rear of the bike. As the tire rotates to the pavement while going forward, the grooves (chevron) would appear to push any water toward the center of the tire. Building up a channel of water in the center of the pavement/tire contact area would logically seem like a really f'n bad idea, unless you're piloting a hovercraft. So why do the michelin tires channel the water to the center? (or do they?) How do they overcome what appears to be obvious physics? I'm not trying to poke the bear, just interested in the answer.
My thought exactly... That's why I asked. Though it's not the first tire I see mounted "backward" in the front. So maybe it has to be that way ?
Anyway, stay with the manufacturer directions !

Perhaps it works better on the dry roads and You are not supposed to drive when wet :lol:
Regards
Wojtek
2014 Honda PCX 125
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

vamootsman wrote:
iceman wrote:The tyres (or front) seems to fitted correctly in the prior pics, and to my mind it seems to be the way it needs to be to dispel water (the tyre manufacturers know what they are doing). Think of it as the tyre leaves the road and is spinning to the rear of the bike - the water in the middle (where the angled tread comes to an end) is pushing water down the grove and out towards the outer edge due to rotational forces).
I have been doing precisely that for 30+ years. Are you looking at he front City Grip? If the pattern starts wide as it comes to the bottom (spinning forward) then narrows to the center, the water will be pushed to the center. Bicycle tires always do the opposite to avoid pushing water to the center. Why would a scooter tire be any different?
Looking at both the front and rear on those picks - they seem to be correct for water disposal - as both tyres rotate out from road contact, the wheel is spinning one way and the water will be forced along the groves the other as it's under force/pressure. Hence it will make it's way along the ridge to the outer edge. Unless I (and Michelin) have that wrong :). I've looked at the pics/tread several times and that's how it would seem to work to me.
If the tread was pointing the other way, then as the wheel rotates off road contact the water will be forced along the tread towards the center.
gregsta
Regular User
Regular User
Color: red

Post by gregsta »

iceman wrote:
vamootsman wrote:
Looking at both the front and rear on those picks - they seem to be correct for water disposal - as both tyres rotate out from road contact, the wheel is spinning one way and the water will be forced along the groves the other as it's under force/pressure. Hence it will make it's way along the ridge to the outer edge. Unless I (and Michelin) have that wrong :). I've looked at the pics/tread several times and that's how it would seem to work to me.
If the tread was pointing the other way, then as the wheel rotates off road contact the water will be forced along the tread towards the center.
I have looked at loads of photo's across the internet of people who have had the Michelin city grips fitted to their honda pcx and all there treads are fitted the same as mine. So it must be correct. :lol:
vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by vamootsman »

iceman wrote:
vamootsman wrote:

The rear yes, the front, absolutely not. I know that's the way they are supposed to be run, but I have yet to hear the reason from Michelin for their front tire siping to channel water to the center.
2013 PCX 150 with,
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S
MG77MG
Year: 2015
Color: brown

Post by MG77MG »

Hello gentlemen,
I am slightly confused and want to make sure before a buy of new tires:
is this size is correct for my PCX 125, 2015?:
front 100/90/14 + rear 110/80/14 or front 100/80/14 + rear 110/80/14
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

90/90 x14 front, 100/90 x14 on rear on mine.