Suzuki V Strom 650 ABS Adventure

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Re: Suzuki V Strom 650 ABS Adventure

Post by dkazzed »

$250! Pricey. When I was looking at getting a Suzuki GW250, the OE centre stand was about $100. Very reasonably priced.

Interesting. Does the wax stuff take longer to apply? But I guess not having to deal with the nastiness of chain cleaners is worth it.

Have you done much offroading? It looks fun. I'm going to try to grab either an old Suzuki TS100 dual sport for $100 to fix up or a running Honda XL 250S dual sport that's asking $1100 and explore some beaten paths. I'm actually moving 3.5 hours northeast in a month and a half to the heart of the Okanagan where there are many logging roads and maintained dirt bike trails available through the mountains, so I'm pretty excited.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dkazzed »

GW250 Centre Stand -- $115 in the US and $65 in Canada? Strange.

Both are made in China though like the bike itself. At least with SW-Motech, you're getting a quality product.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

tbln930 wrote:I just ordered the SW Motech center stand
Got one of these on a Yamaha MT-01, very well made, has to be as the Yamaha is a bit of a porker. (240kg)
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150

Post by tbln930 »

Just got back from a 40 mile lunch break ride. :P

There are 5 or 6 different center stands available for the 650 V-Stroms (these suckers are really popular) including the optional OEM Suzuki one which is $360. o_O The Happy Trail is the most inexpensive I believe but a bit flimsier. The SW Motech is very robust and middle of the road on price for these 500 lb. beasts. Most of the stands I looked at for the under 300 lb. class were under $200 and a few a lot cheaper. IMO the SW is better than the Suzuki OEM (easier to put up) and at least as good quality wise.

I have done a lot of unpaved roads now but not really much pure off-roading other than crossing a few creeks and a few dirt roads. The V-Stroms are really a bit heavy for hard-core off-roading IMO although there are certainly many wild videos of folks doing exactly that with them on YouTube. The mix of roads here in the Ozarks are pretty decent (paved and unpaved) unless you want to do off-road on purpose and then there is plenty of that. For me off-road would be a Yamaha 250 (I have owned three combo bikes that were lighter Yamaha's in the past). (is that four bikes I really need?) :lol: If I get four bikes I may need one lawyer too. :oops: Actually, at 57 years of age the V-Strom just about fills the need close enough for me at this point. The V-Strom is a real pack mule and will haul anything to the top of the mountain. They are often described as ridiculously reliable. After all of the FARKLE's, I really could not ask for more. For my area in the Ozark mountains I would say they are near perfect. After reading AKforza's posts about Alaska's wilderness roads, I might need something different there. o_O

The V-Strom 1000 has the traction control switch and can turn off the ABS which I can add but they are telling me for what I do I would never use them. Going down a long very steep dirt hill is a point you may need to turn the ABS off but I just really don't encounter those kinds of conditions here.

I am liking the low maintenance dry wax lubes. The orings have really changed the chain technology since my last chain bikes. Now minimizing sprocket wear and protecting the seals is the main objective.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by DAB »

tbln930 wrote:Just got back from a 40 mile lunch break ride. :P

There are 5 or 6 different center stands available for the 650 V-Stroms (these suckers are really popular) including the optional OEM Suzuki one which is $360. o_O The Happy Trail is the most inexpensive I believe but a bit flimsier. The SW Motech is very robust and middle of the road on price for these 500 lb. beasts. Most of the stands I looked at for the under 300 lb. class were under $200 and a few a lot cheaper. IMO the SW is better than the Suzuki OEM (easier to put up) and at least as good quality wise.

I have done a lot of unpaved roads now but not really much pure off-roading other than crossing a few creeks and a few dirt roads. The V-Stroms are really a bit heavy for hard-core off-roading IMO although there are certainly many wild videos of folks doing exactly that with them on YouTube. The mix of roads here in the Ozarks are pretty decent (paved and unpaved) unless you want to do off-road on purpose and then there is plenty of that. For me off-road would be a Yamaha 250 (I have owned three combo bikes that were lighter Yamaha's in the past). (is that four bikes I really need?) :lol: If I get four bikes I may need one lawyer too. :oops: Actually, at 57 years of age the V-Strom just about fills the need close enough for me at this point. The V-Strom is a real pack mule and will haul anything to the top of the mountain. They are often described as ridiculously reliable. After all of the FARKLE's, I really could not ask for more. For my area in the Ozark mountains I would say they are near perfect. After reading AKforza's posts about Alaska's wilderness roads, I might need something different there. o_O

The V-Strom 1000 has the traction control switch and can turn off the ABS which I can add but they are telling me for what I do I would never use them. Going down a long very steep dirt hill is a point you may need to turn the ABS off but I just really don't encounter those kinds of conditions here.

I am liking the low maintenance dry wax lubes. The orings have really changed the chain technology since my last chain bikes. Now minimizing sprocket wear and protecting the seals is the main objective.
This is the best oiler I have ever used.
http://www.tutorochainoiler.com/
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

I love it that their test case is my bike. Too funny.

There are a few folks using those on Stromtrooper. The last study, though, someone did on the various lubes and techniques on the oring chains showed that there was no effect on the life of the "sealed" oring chains between them. They also nearly got the same chain life doing absolutely nothing at all to the latest sealed chains (but then rust can be an issue). The friction tests all went to the wax lubes as reducing friction the best and the pro bicycle racers have mainly switched to paraffin based lubes as well because of this. DuPont, who developed the latest wax-based Chain Saver product, did extensive testing and completely disputes the claims by ANY of the other manufacturers on other types of lubes. Then there is the issue of splatter and dirt attraction by anything sticky or liquid. If I had a conventional chain on my bike I think I would use an oiler though.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

SECoda/tbln930
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

I like this Euro promo video of the V-Strom. Versatility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCpR5EYl33A

SECoda/tbln930
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Ive got a tuturo and it a bit rubbish to be honest you have to remember to switch it off and its a bit all or nothing wouldnt buy one again
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by DAB »

you you wrote:Ive got a tuturo and it a bit rubbish to be honest you have to remember to switch it off and its a bit all or nothing wouldnt buy one again
Never have to turn mine off, what bike is it on?
Other rides
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

DAB wrote:
you you wrote:Ive got a tuturo and it a bit rubbish to be honest you have to remember to switch it off and its a bit all or nothing wouldnt buy one again
Never have to turn mine off, what bike is it on?

Kawasaki er6f
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by DAB »

2 Yous, was you a tight wad and bought the manual oiler. I was referring to the automatic one.
Other rides
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

DAB wrote:2 Yous, was you a tight wad and bought the manual oiler. I was referring to the automatic one.

Yes I'm a tight wad then as it is the manual one. Paid the money. Was useless but cheap and simple as was tuturos selling point at the time. Otherwise I'd have bought the well known alternative

But for the sake of balance I can't remember you distinguishing between fantastic tuturo oilers and tightwad useless ones.
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

Got some more FARKLEing done by installing the Eastern Beaver fuse box and wiring up two circuits. Running the wiring harness for those lights was the fun part. I used straightened coat hanger again to pull the wires w/ connectors. :roll: I also hooked up a dual port USB waterproof unit on the handlebars. The switch for the Denali lights and the USB ports glow in the dark.

Still more to come....

The DR1's are really bright as I expected. I will set them in the dark tonight against a wall and then test them out with a few cars.

SECoda/tbln930
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

Finished aiming them for the road. It's like daylight out to 600 feet now. The only FARKLE's left to install now are the center stand and the highway pegs/mount.

SECoda/tbln930
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dkazzed »

Excellent, the more visibility the better. When it's daylight out, I'm on high beams now.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

I do the same thing. Installing highway pegs now. It is an entire mount system. More work than I expected. It is nearly finished. I had to temporarily remove the crash bars.

SECoda/tbln930
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

Highway Pegs and mount

SECoda/tbln930
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

Here is the SW Motech center stand. It was a fairly easy install. This baby is gunning for bear now. :lol:

SECoda/tbln930
wei2go
Regular User
Regular User

Post by wei2go »

Wow tbln. What's the bike vs farkle cost ratio so far?
Currently own a red pcx150 and a red NC750x DCT
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

Well lets see I just ordered a wind deflector to add to the windshield to help buffeting at high speeds for $114. I am afraid to total it. I got the bike pretty cheap so the ratio is pretty high. There are a few more FARKLE's I have thought of I will get eventually. I don't even have a radiator guard or lights and lens protectors. Most of that stuff is pretty inexpensive. I need a locking tank bag eventually. :o

Highway Pegs/mount $120
Wind Deflector $114
Denali LED DR1s + Harness $409
Center stand $250
Windshield $160
EB Fuse Box + Harness $110
Givi V47 mount adapter $25
AdMore Adapter harness + Connector $100
Tool Tube $20
Dual USB Power unit $35
Handlebar 1" risers $35
Stop N Go Tire Plug repair/mini compressor $54
Slime worm repair + valve tool + gauge $18
Weld86 skid plate $160
Adventure Fork Brace $70
Phone handlebar mount $25
Service manual $35

Total $1740 / Bike cost $6920 FARKLE/Bike ratio 25%

Not bad the KTM Adventure I looked at loaded (I think it was a 1190cc) was $20k and a 2015 VStrom 650 Adventure is $11k that still needs a lot of stuff IMO.

SECoda/tbln930