honda pcx standard tyre lifespan

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

danieljw
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: RED

honda pcx standard tyre lifespan

Post by danieljw »

roughly how many miles did everyone get from there first set of tyres?

im currently on 1700 miles exactly and have 1mm if that untill the wear indicator, the front is much better bit that also show signs of being well used.

i didnt expect such tyre wear from a 125 scooter, will speed make a difference? my bike often sit at 55-60mph,
Honda PCX125 - 1000miles

buddy1976
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Re: honda pcx standard tyre lifespan

Post by buddy1976 »

danieljw wrote:roughly how many miles did everyone get from there first set of tyres?

im currently on 1700 miles exactly and have 1mm if that untill the wear indicator, the front is much better bit that also show signs of being well used.

i didnt expect such tyre wear from a 125 scooter, will speed make a difference? my bike often sit at 55-60mph,
Stock irc's are shite!
Get some city grips, it'll give you a safer ride and they'll last longer.
Honda forza 125 2019
Malossi multivar 2000 with 8.5gr rollers
Yellow malossi contra spring
Malossi delta clutch and bell
Malossi special kevlar belt
K and n air filter
Akrapovic exhaust
BC BCTX7L-FP-S LiFePO4 Battery

Honda Pcx 125 esp 2012 uk model
Malossi Multivar 10.5g rollers
Malossi White Contra Spring
Malossi yellow clutch springs
Daytona reinforced belt
ADVANCEPro Large Diameter Drive Face
ADVANCEPro PCX125 Fi High Rigidity Bearing Slider
DNA Performance air filter
Removed air box flange
Removed seat hump
Ermax+25 windshield
tomtic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by tomtic »

I'm at 10,500 miles, and the original front tyre still has a good few thousand miles left. I changed the rear at around 5000 miles to Michelin, and there is probably at least another 3000 miles left in it.
In terms of road-holding I could not really distinguish between the original tyres and the Michelin's, but they appear to last longer. And I'm like you - usually travelling at 50-60 mph.
Tom192
Regular User
Regular User
Color: red

Post by Tom192 »

Changed my original rear at 7500 service to a Michelin. City grip, on 17000 on same tyre. Front was changed at 15000 from memory maybe 12.5k
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

We changed the back tire to Michelin City Grip at 7,500 miles. The front is very close to time to change at 13,000. I have heard that the front on the average lasts twice as long as the rear. We have 2 pcx 150 scooters and both have Michelin City Grips on the rear. The front will be changed to City Grip as soon as they reach their wear limits. As far as we are concerned, my wife and I feel that Michelin City Grips are the best scooter tires we have ever used.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

My rear lasted about 8k if I'm remembering correctly. My front's still kicking it at 12k! Speed makes hardly any difference, weight is the big killer of tires. I'm light, so mine last forever compared to some people.

People complain about the IRCs. I have a Dunlop in the rear and notice no difference over the IRC. It's a scooter either way, and I never ride near my limits. :)

I'll probably go with a Michelin City Grip as Mel recommends for my next tire, I haven't heard a single complaint about them.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Re. the comment above stating stock IRC's are 's**t' - this is unfair and not true. They are quite decent tyres and many people ride in all weathers with them inc. sub-zero temps and have no issues - I've ridden on them for a year now through sub-zero winter and lots of water logged roads and very heavy rain and had no issue. They may not be the best, and not as grippy as City Grips, but they are not s**t tyres.

If you ride WOFT a lot of the time :P and scrape your knees on every turn :P then yes, IRC's are not for you.
djcat
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Black

Post by djcat »

iceman wrote:Re. the comment above stating stock IRC's are 's**t' - this is unfair and not true.

If you ride WOFT a lot of the time :P and scrape your knees on every turn :P then yes, IRC's are not for you.
Why is it unfair and not true if many people have bad experience with the IRCs ?

I had a few bad moments with them, mostly below 10 degrees celsius. Once I lost the front (!) in a roundabout doing about 10mph - hardly scraping my knee and it was bone dry on the surface. Another time I had a very hard time braking hard from 60 mph (don´t tell me its stupid to go that "fast" on a dead straight three lane motorway on a dry evening following a car with 3 seconds distance). I know how to emergency brake, its a skill I train whenever it is safe to do so. The tyres were struggling to keep the grip and I had to release pressure on the rear brake to keep it from going from side to side.

Last week I was filtering a lane of stopped to slow moving traffic at about 15 to 20 mph - low speeds I can do even on a pushbike. When I saw a gap opening at a shop´s parking place, I immediately applied the brakes at medium force (far from a handful) and a car peeked its nose out. The rear tyre locked and both that car driver and the driver of the car I was passing by looked scared :-D For the IRC , its a miserable failure to grip at medium force and about 15 degrees celsius and it seems to be getting worse as its getting worn down. Can´t wait for them to finally wear away so I put some Heidenaus on.

I read at least one long term test where the editors threw the IRCs out before they were worn down because of the issues with grip.

I don´t know how others ride or how fine tuned their feeling for grip is, but its the only tyre I ever felt doesn´t grip more than I am able to push it.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I would not call any tire s#@t but the IRC tires are bad enough that after only 1,000 miles i swapped my rear tire out for City Grips. Swapping the front tire would have happened then too except for the fact that it is close to impossible to find them for the front. I have to wait until they are available again to order them.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

'The rear tyre locked' - is that due to having to apply more pressure then expected?, as I don't understand how lack of grip comes into play with the tyre locking - isn't that a braking issue not a grip issue? Others stated that the City Grip extra-grip only comes into play when turning as the center does not have more tread - is there other reasons?
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

I'm using Citygrips front and rear, and suggest anyone that loves riding, should invest in a set for their scoot.
aka DrewJW
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I've never had a problem with the tyres at all. Even if the road surface is a bit shitty.
djcat
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Black

Post by djcat »

iceman wrote:'The rear tyre locked' - is that due to having to apply more pressure then expected?, as I don't understand how lack of grip comes into play with the tyre locking - isn't that a braking issue not a grip issue? Others stated that the City Grip extra-grip only comes into play when turning as the center does not have more tread - is there other reasons?
A tyre locks if it looses grip. This can be "achieved" manually if you just give them a handful without allowing for any weight transfer or if you apply too much force for the surface and tyre conditions. If the tyre has not enough grip for the conditions in hand, it will lock. In my cases the tyres should not have locked on a dry tarmac surface, as I certainly did not apply a handful and my own weight (100Kg) should be enough downforce on any tyre...

Hence the tyre does not have enough grip from factory to prevent locking up or loosing grip.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

I got 8,000 miles out of my stock IRC and the front is still good at 17,000. I put a Michelin City Grip on the back and don't really see any big difference in handling. I will gladly take anybody's take off IRC's if they don't want them.
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

Maybe we can do a swap, just bring your City Grip round to my house in Queensland, Australia and we'll change it with my IRC. :D :D :D
fast1075
Color: black

Post by fast1075 »

I'm quite sure Motorcycle Superstore has City Grip fronts and rears in stock. At least they did last week.
The Fasterizer