PowerbyPCX seat surprise

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

bubble
Easy Rider
Easy Rider
Year: 2013
Color: Black

PowerbyPCX seat surprise

Post by bubble »

My PowerbyPCX seat arrived last week, and I finally installed it yesterday. The finished product is a 10/10 workmanship & comfort-wise, but the experience was not without surprise.

Apparently they are using USED PARTS in their seats. See for yourselves:
Latch Comparison.PNG
Latch Comparison.PNG (472.72 KiB) Viewed 4862 times
Seat Latch Photo.JPG
Seat Latch Photo.JPG (462.34 KiB) Viewed 4862 times
The NEW looking latch is MY seat, the cruddy latch is the PowerbyPCX seat. The NEW seat's rubber bumpers are probably several years old, and well worn & cracked from wear. The seat pan underside has many scuffs from probably long-term storage & much handling.

My bike only has 190 miles on the ODO.

I have mixed feelings about this transaction...The seat is a VAST improvement over what came with the bike, but I kinda assumed I'd get NEW equipment. Perhaps this is the cost of using the forum's 10% discount from them. Yes, the seat looks & feels GREAT, but I hadn't realized that the seat pan might have come out of a salvage yard, lol. The one rubber bumper even has a human hair caught beneath it, and made it's way to my home, from Thailand.

For what it's worth...

Bubble
Attachments
Seat Latch Photo.JPG
Seat Latch Photo.JPG (462.34 KiB) Viewed 4862 times
"Data control and I.B.M., science is mankind's brother." - J.A.

2013 PCX150, black. GIVI 323DT windscreen (cut down 2.5"), PowerbyPCX seat.

2002 Honda Silverwing, black, 35,000 miles. Oxford heated grips, Kuryakyn LED battery gauge, Comagination headlight & brake light modulators, RAM mounts, Givi trimmed windscreen, Givi E52 topbox, Formotion thermometer, Crampbuster throttle gizmo, Sumitomo car tire on rear.

2005 Honda Reflex-43,000 miles, sold.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Re: PowerbyPCX seat surprise

Post by WhiteNoise »

Oh wow, sorry. I'd be disappointed too! :( That's really strange of them to do & Not good business practice. Did you contact them about it? You should. Give them a chance to fix what some not so smart worker did.

Has anyone else received a seat from PowerbyPCX looking like this on the underside?

bubble, Can we see the seat on the top side? Are you pleased with the workmanship there?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
AllenM

Post by AllenM »

I have a 2013 PCX 150 and I was thinking about buying a seat from them. After reading this I will no longer consider them as an option. I can't believe they would even try to sale something like this!
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

FWIW, my PowerbyPCX seat was a new part, however the red stitching they used is not UV resistant. So now after 2 riding seasons most of the stitching looks pink from sun fading.
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

It's good these things are mentioned. Thanks for kicking in Slick!

Better now, than never. After all, if it's brought to the attention of its maker then there's a chance the maker will be proud enough to make it better. It only makes "cents." ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I think I read somewhere, and don't ask me where because I can't remember, that over in Thailand the practice has been for a customer to trade in their seat for a new one. In that case they would then have an endless supply of bases for the new seats because they would be stripping down the traded seat and reusing it. This probably works quite well over there, though selling beyond their borders would present the problem of customer satisfaction due to reuse of old parts. I have bought multiple seats from there and all have been on used bases. None of that detracts from the beauty of the finished product, and if it bothered me I could easily scrumb the underside clean and paint the bottom if need be. I have only cleaned the latch mechanizim.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by tbln930 »

Try MP.Motor next time. They use used bases but in very good condition on mine. The seat is excellent IMO and was only $45 + shipping when I bought it last year. The materials are holding well so far.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Slickvic wrote:FWIW, my PowerbyPCX seat was a new part, however the red stitching they used is not UV resistant. So now after 2 riding seasons most of the stitching looks pink from sun fading.

Re-dye it?
jon_l
Color: black PCX

Post by jon_l »

Mine was delivered on a brand-new Honda seat pan, in the Honda box it came in. Everything shiny & clean.

black 2013 PCX150, red & black 2012 Triumph Thunderbird 1600
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Most of the custom seats are made by the same shop in Thailand, so chances are good that you will get a used seat base. Sometimes you get lucky though. Still if it does what it is suppose to do then who really cares what the underside looks like. Maybe so degreaser on the metal part will clean it up.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
thunderkat59
Year: 2011 PCX 125
Color: white

Post by thunderkat59 »

I just traded my '08 Burgman 400 for a 2011 PCX with 650 miles. And, like the Burgman, I wonder why scooter manu's feel a need to hump us on these bikes! I hope this is on-topic for this thread, and I have searched--HPCX.org won't recognize "seat"-- I am wondering if there are other replacement seat companies out there. I have only seen Bikerz Bitz and PowerdbyPCX for flat seats, and a whole bunch of weird, cruiser style seats with all manner of humps and folds made into them, so in summation, are Bikerz Bitz and PowerbyPCX the only flat seats readily available? Other than that, I am blown away but what comes in a 125 scooter these days! What a great little bike this is turning out to be!
I apologize in advance if this is not an appropriate forum for this inquiry. Thank you :)
bubble
Easy Rider
Easy Rider
Color: Black

Post by bubble »

There's a lot of good info being posted here. Thanks to all who replied.

Here are pics of the finished seat.
Seat-Right Side.JPG
Seat-Right Side.JPG (457.8 KiB) Viewed 4669 times
Seat-Top.JPG
Seat-Top.JPG (568.9 KiB) Viewed 4669 times
Seat-Rear.JPG
Seat-Rear.JPG (504.1 KiB) Viewed 4669 times
I haven't yet ridden the PCX since the new saddle arrived but just sitting on it I can feel the improvement. Still, I can't help but feel a tad disappointed at what I received. Had this been made clear from the get-go, perhaps this wouldn't be so. I also think I'd have willingly paid a premium for a new seat pan. Like I said earlier, I suspect the forum's 10% discount resulted in the cruddy latch.

No, I didn't complain to PowerbyPCX. They know what they sent me, and have obviously decided that this is an acceptable business practice. Any financial implications for them resulting from this posting will be "what it will be". My seat IS serviceable, just disappointing (to me, on my new-ish bike).

bubble
"Data control and I.B.M., science is mankind's brother." - J.A.

2013 PCX150, black. GIVI 323DT windscreen (cut down 2.5"), PowerbyPCX seat.

2002 Honda Silverwing, black, 35,000 miles. Oxford heated grips, Kuryakyn LED battery gauge, Comagination headlight & brake light modulators, RAM mounts, Givi trimmed windscreen, Givi E52 topbox, Formotion thermometer, Crampbuster throttle gizmo, Sumitomo car tire on rear.

2005 Honda Reflex-43,000 miles, sold.
Dustoff66
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011

Post by Dustoff66 »

Here's a pic of my seat. It's the original, redone by a top-notch local upholstery shop. It cost me a little over $200, but it's quality work, done locally, with a satisfaction guarantee. AND-- it's very comfortable. The Honda "hump" is now a nice padded backrest for my bony derriere. :)
Attachments
Seat1.jpg
Seat1.jpg (254.2 KiB) Viewed 4644 times
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

thunderkat59 wrote:I just traded my '08 Burgman 400 for a 2011 PCX with 650 miles. And, like the Burgman, I wonder why scooter manu's feel a need to hump us on these bikes!
If you are handy you can do a humpectomy on your stock seat.
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1933
jon_l
Color: black PCX

Post by jon_l »

bubble wrote: I haven't yet ridden the PCX since the new saddle arrived but just sitting on it I can feel the improvement. Still, I can't help but feel a tad disappointed at what I received. Had this been made clear from the get-go, perhaps this wouldn't be so. I also think I'd have willingly paid a premium for a new seat pan. Like I said earlier, I suspect the forum's 10% discount resulted in the cruddy latch.

No, I didn't complain to PowerbyPCX. They know what they sent me, and have obviously decided that this is an acceptable business practice. Any financial implications for them resulting from this posting will be "what it will be". My seat IS serviceable, just disappointing (to me, on my new-ish bike).

bubble
I think it is luck of the draw. I used the discount code, and I got lucky I guess, with a new pan.

Logically, forum members would be the last ones a vendor should want to piss-off, since we have a larger audience for negative (& positive) feedback than non-forum users.
black 2013 PCX150, red & black 2012 Triumph Thunderbird 1600
vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by vamootsman »

jon_l wrote:Mine was delivered on a brand-new Honda seat pan, in the Honda box it came in. Everything shiny & clean.

I was looking at buying one of their seats, but that pic looks like the hump is still there, just without the bolt holes
2013 PCX 150 with,
Givi Tall Screen, and E370 Top Case
NCY Variator and Face Plate, 12 gram rollers
Takagawa Silent Oval Exhaust, K&N R1100 pod filter mod
YSS XL Rear Shock Absorbers Michelin City Grip 120/70 Front 140/70 Rear
2013 Honda CB500X with Rally Raid kit
2005 Piaggio X9 500 Evolution
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

Might as well do it yourself as I did. You will end up having to cut their hump out just the same as yours.
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150

Post by tbln930 »

My MP.Motor seat was modded and has no hump in the base.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by vamootsman »

Just got back from a local upholstery shop. Dropping the seat off Monday to have it recoverd with nose built up about an inch and witih an new black vinyl cover with some red stitching in the sides. I'm doing the humpectomy before I take it to them.
2013 PCX 150 with,
Givi Tall Screen, and E370 Top Case
NCY Variator and Face Plate, 12 gram rollers
Takagawa Silent Oval Exhaust, K&N R1100 pod filter mod
YSS XL Rear Shock Absorbers Michelin City Grip 120/70 Front 140/70 Rear
2013 Honda CB500X with Rally Raid kit
2005 Piaggio X9 500 Evolution
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S