How great is the PCX for commuting!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

How great is the PCX for commuting!

Post by iceman »

Just filled up with 231 miles on the trip and the display just flickering between one and two solid bars - so still had enough fuel for 20 or so miles if not more! MPG readout showed 142.5 and that as always seems fairly close to the truth - 231 miles trip, 7.40l in to near the brim, 141.9mpg (UK) (gotta love the pcx as a commuter).

That's the best ever for me - had 141 once before and the lowest 127mpg in the winter months, but summer fuel and slightly warmer climes does help. I really didn't expect my best ever mpg as I've not gone that gentle on the throttle from still (due to previous shudder problems from clutch/belt glazing) and still have a fair share of stop/start/traffic light situations across London to deal with. Mostly 30+ top speed (I do get near 40 on some lengths of road but not many roads above 30 in the city).

If my work situation changes and I need to tackle longer A roads or small sections of motorways and city commuting, the Forza 125 now is a bike I would strongly consider. Unless there is a need to cover many, many miles of motorway then for mostly town commuting with some longer/faster roads thrown in, I see no need for 350cc+ geared bikes - why put up with gear changes when you don't have to :)
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011

Re: How great is the PCX for commuting!

Post by maddiedog »

Wow, great mpg. That's about 118mpg US for everyone on the other side of the pond.

That's amazingly good mpg, probably because the lower speed.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Yep - never thought I would beat the early mpg I got but conditions seems great right now. On approx 4600 miles or so, so my 1st oil change is due soon (doing it myself).
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

My wife and I have pcx 150s and we often take them for long rides on back roads. Recently I changed the rollers on mine to 13gm. I noticed a small loss of fuel mileage. Yesterday we went for a long ride out in the country. At 132.5 miles my fuel gauge had been flashing for a short time but there were no gas stations in view. My calculations told me that I would lose about 10% of my gas mileage, so I should have been very close to empty, based on what I had read about total mileage. Well, when we finally reached a station, I should have been empty long ago. Once we had filled the tanks on both bikes, I could see that my bike took .4 gallons more than hers. It is interesting that the mileage Honda says you will get is 144. We were at 140.4, and the dash light had been blinking for quite a few miles. Talk about scary! Though most of our riding was on back roads, the speed limits ranged from 55 to 65, and we still got great mileage!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: White /red

Post by MikeP »

Just can not beat it. Nimble, fast, (with some mods) and cheep on fuel. I have done 18000km since last September. Still got 104 mpm packing 90lbs of luggage thru the coastal and interior mountains of BC.
Happiness is two wheels and a full tank of gas!
thunderkat59
Year: 2011 PCX 125
Color: white

Post by thunderkat59 »

Ive had mine for about 3 months and only put gas in it last week. Thats crazy!!! I made sure I complained to the SUV driver next to me though . . . "damn, 4.50? thats outrageous" lol
Srsly, it gets better mileage than my 50, I guess b'cus I dont have it pinned WFO all day long.
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: White /red

Post by MikeP »

thunderkat59 wrote:Ive had mine for about 3 months and only put gas in it last week. Thats crazy!!! I made sure I complained to the SUV driver next to me though . . . "damn, 4.50? thats outrageous" lol
Srsly, it gets better mileage than my 50, I guess b'cus I dont have it pinned WFO all day long.
Thats right, I had a Honda Jazz 50cc and my milage was about 90mpg but I was almost always wide open. Put 28,000km on that baby. Ran as good as the day I bought her when I sold it.
Happiness is two wheels and a full tank of gas!
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

This great economy and performance (very zippy acceleration from still - stock, no mods whatsoever) is all using the cheapest bog-standard unleaded fuel - no super high octane this or the other - from my local Asda (read Walmart) as it's the closest and most convenient outlet to me.

I would not like to go back to using a car for commuting across town now - the ability to legally filter (unlike most of the US) is such a boon - cheap to run, quick A-B, and not to bad in the winter or even when it's raining. In fact, I've only been caught in about 5 really bad down-pours the past 14 months - other than that it's just a spash :)

With a 19 mile round-trip to work - total cost of using the PCX is a little over £300/year! (that includes fuel, road tax and 3rd party insurance) - result!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Its an excellent city runabout.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Its what its made for after all.Avoid the forza300. Slight smell of moss and old persons wee
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

It's great for commuting!

I ride like a hooligan, so I never check the numbers.
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

I don't hang about, and I get around 120mpg consistently.
aka DrewJW
Tom192
Regular User
Regular User
Color: red

Post by Tom192 »

Had my best tank recently 129mpg :)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Slickvic wrote:It's great for commuting!

I ride like a hooligan, so I never check the numbers.

It's probably not hitting 60mph over a protracted period. One mans "hooligan" is another's mans irratating road block
toria
Regular User
Regular User

Post by toria »

you you wrote:Its what its made for after all.Avoid the forza300. Slight smell of moss and old persons wee

Oh dear, i've not noticed any smells of moss or old persons wee I have to say!!! I'm not particularly old but no spring chicken either! I have the Forza 300 and it's a great bike, its baby brother was too tall for me and very badly placed mirrors that you cannot adjust that much!!!
thunderkat59

Post by thunderkat59 »

toria wrote:
I have the Forza 300 and it's a great bike, its baby brother was too tall for me and very badly placed mirrors that you cannot adjust that much!!!
I'd love to have a Forza! The perfect scoot for me would be a little bigger than the PCX, but smaller than a Burgman 400. I am Captain Ahab, and that is my great white whale!! lol Is that a Forza?!?! A Kymco?!?!? An old Reflex?!? So many scoots, so little time. But, you bring up what is one of the few negatives of the great little bike ~ the mirrors seem to be a little too close. Combine this with the seat hump that forces you forward, and it is an issue for me. Oh well, Im right lane klingon, I dont need them as much as people in a hurry, might.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

IMG_20150704_105551.jpg
IMG_20150704_105551.jpg (95.05 KiB) Viewed 3297 times
As you can see, I have solved both problems. I bought the mirror extenders, and new seats for both bikes. It makes a real difference. Now we can ride safely and comfortably. I have read tnat the extenders make the bike look weird, but so does a tall windshield, and who knows what else. I don't care. They make the ride better. To me that is all that matters.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
thunderkat59

Post by thunderkat59 »

Mel46 wrote:
IMG_20150704_105551.jpg
As you can see, I have solved both problems. I bought the mirror extenders, and new seats for both bikes. It makes a real difference. Now we can ride safely and comfortably. I have read tnat the extenders make the bike look weird, but so does a tall windshield, and who knows what else. I don't care. They make the ride better. To me that is all that matters.
Nice, Mel . . .
They look sharp.
I think the w'shield gives them sort of a european look.