L plates on PCX 125 in UK

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

willie5094
Year: 2015
Color: Siena Red

L plates on PCX 125 in UK

Post by willie5094 »

Hi there everyone, new to the forum and just purchased and picked up my new 125 on Friday and its stunning in Red. The dealer has stuck the Red L on the windshield and was wondering what is the best place to put the front one as it looks really ugly where it is, I am thinking on the right front fork.

Anyone out there that has got there's fitted on the fork, really fab forum by the way.
Tom192
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: red

Re: L plates on PCX 125 in UK

Post by Tom192 »

Mines fitted where yours is on the plus side you can't snap it off!
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Mines in the same place - if and when I lose the plates of shame (as GN2 would say) I wonder how easy it would be to get off without damage to the perspex - it's been stuck on over a year now.

I once undone the rear L plate to fit some rubber things (as it would vibrate against the supporting plastic) and noticed there are two serial/chassis style number patches on the plastic covered by the rear plate. Not sure why they were stuck there.
willie5094
Color: Siena Red

Post by willie5094 »

Yip that's what I was thinking, better to take it off whilst it's new, I probably wouldn't snap off the plate as I won't be going that rapid, does anyone have the plate fitted to the forks as I am thinking there won't be enough room?
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

willie5094 wrote:Yip that's what I was thinking, better to take it off whilst it's new, I probably wouldn't snap off the plate as I won't be going that rapid, does anyone have the plate fitted to the forks as I am thinking there won't be enough room?
Some have the plate mounted at an angle facing backwards, but many just put small L Plates on (hand made or the large white area cut off) < all of which is illegal as the L Plate is supposed to be a certain size. But hey, not like the police stop anyone for doing things wrong on the roads these days - even when it's right in front of them.
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

Mines on the front mudguard, as my PCX is white, the argument of cutting down the L plate to fit seems moot ;)
aka DrewJW
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

DrewJW wrote:Mines on the front mudguard, as my PCX is white, the argument of cutting down the L plate to fit seems moot ;)
Me too but the rozzers might have different views on this.
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

They can go catch some criminal without insurance, and stop moaning about a 2mm piece of white backing missing from a L plate, that is surrounded by white material on the mudguard anyway :)
aka DrewJW
chigman

Post by chigman »

iceman wrote:Mines in the same place - if and when I lose the plates of shame (as GN2 would say) I wonder how easy it would be to get off without damage to the perspex - it's been stuck on over a year now.

I once undone the rear L plate to fit some rubber things (as it would vibrate against the supporting plastic) and noticed there are two serial/chassis style number patches on the plastic covered by the rear plate. Not sure why they were stuck there.

The L thats stuck on the wind shield is a cow son to get off. The sticky residue thats left behind is as stubborn as hell. I eventually got it all off with liberal amounts of WD40. Stupid idea sticking them on there in the first place:x
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Perhaps following the 'removing the windscreen' procedure and then soaking the screen in hot water will melt the glue. Not got to needing to do that yet.
Surprised the Honda logo is a silly little stick on label rather than proper etching.
Urbanfreestyle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 (UK)

Post by Urbanfreestyle »

Mine is stuck to the front mud guard. Not a bad placement. I work on a police campus and never had any issues :)
Honda PCX 125 ESP (Black)
Power:11.7 hp @8500 rpm, Torque:12Nm @5000rpm
Mods: LED sidelights, Yoshimura Exhaust

DEAD: 2013 Piaggio Typhoon 4 stroke 125cc (Black)
Power:9.65 HP @8500 rpm, Torque:8.2Nm @7500 rpm
Mods: Malossi Red foam filter, Hex LED Sidelights, Xenon headlights, USB charging port
rdel
Year: 2016
Color: Pearl White

Post by rdel »

Hi just got my new pcx today, first thing my kids noticed was the big L plate sticker on the screen, looks terrible once pointed out. Cant believe the Honda Dealer did this.
Going to Halfords to get the fork bracket kit costs £7.00
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150

Post by homie »

Loser plates.jpg
Loser plates.jpg (9.99 KiB) Viewed 2513 times
rdel wrote:Hi just got my new pcx today, first thing my kids noticed was the big L plate sticker on the screen, looks terrible once pointed out. Cant believe the Honda Dealer did this.
Going to Halfords to get the fork bracket kit costs £7.00
Me thinks the kids will still ask :D Might you keep the wind resistance to a minimal?
Attachments
L plate.jpg
L plate.jpg (9.31 KiB) Viewed 2513 times
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019

Post by Alibally »

You sometimes see them on the forks but turned to the side . I saw a learner school bike like that last week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Back in the bad old days you just wrapped a sticky one round the fork leg and another one round one of the rear shocks.
Highly non-visible and no-one ever said anything about it.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by GatorGreg »

Please forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is the purpose of having this giant scarlet letter on your windshield?
2018 Yamaha SMAX Raven Black (aka Majesty S)
RIP 2015 Honda PCX 150 Pearl White
RIP 2010 Honda Elite (Lead) 110 Black
Check out GatorGreg's Motovlog on YouTube
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

GatorGreg wrote:Please forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is the purpose of having this giant scarlet letter on your windshield?
"L" is for Learner permit (or something like that). It is a designation in the UK for riders without a full license. I believe it is needed on cars as well.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

I have a solution that I think most you people would settle for since there seems to be no end to this horrible de-facing of a perfectly good motor bike. Suggest to the powers that be that "Learners" not have to spoil the looks and finish of their precious if they agreed to wear a letter jacket until they are licensed, which for some under the current regulation... never.

Police could ignore the violation unless there was incident and learners could cooperate if they felt the need, its really all about the fee anyway right? So have a fat ticket if you crash and you're not wearing it but still pay the application fee so your country can do whatever your country does with taxes. There Homie fixed it, don't say I never did anything for you. We shall call it a patch, the big loser tax patch.
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by GatorGreg »

kramnala58 wrote:
GatorGreg wrote:Please forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is the purpose of having this giant scarlet letter on your windshield?
"L" is for Learner permit (or something like that). It is a designation in the UK for riders without a full license. I believe it is needed on cars as well.
Interesting - so is the theory that it's supposed to warn other drivers to be extra careful around them cuz they're a noob and might crash into you if you get too close? :D Or is it to alert the police for some reason?

In Florida we have "Under 21" license plates for motorcycles - I think it's because if your under 21 here you're required to have a helmet so it would help police spot violators.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (179.67 KiB) Viewed 2490 times
2018 Yamaha SMAX Raven Black (aka Majesty S)
RIP 2015 Honda PCX 150 Pearl White
RIP 2010 Honda Elite (Lead) 110 Black
Check out GatorGreg's Motovlog on YouTube
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

oops turn signals broke and a shock fell off... that might alert police LOL