Long Commute

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

butch3r
Year: 2013

Long Commute

Post by butch3r »

Hi all.

My commute has been 6 miles to work and 6 miles back. It takes me about 25 to 35 minutes depending on traffic on the freeway, # of traffic light stops, etc. It's not a bad drive. However, I'm taking a job which will be about an hour fifteen minutes away (It'll take longer considering hills and wind). I had to do an hour drive before and it's definitely a pain in the butt. Literally. I was wondering if I were to do this drive daily, can the PCX handle that? How about if I only do it once a week and the rest of the time stay in the area, how crazy would that be to the PCX? It seems like the PCX has the best combination of MPH, MPG, and price. I was thinking that maybe I should get a motorcycle for such a crazy drive. I'm guessing motorcycles hold more gas than the PCX. Should I stay with my PCX? I want to. Or should I get something else? Recommendations for good MPH, MPG, and price combo?

Thanks all.
Tom192
Regular User
Regular User
Color: red

Re: Long Commute

Post by Tom192 »

My pcx is doing a 70 mile round trip at the moment approx 1:10 each way, bike will be absolutely fine, your bum on the other hand may not be! Obviously keep up with the maintenance as 2500 miles flies by with me doing 70 a day but longer runs have seen me hitting 129 mpg
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Wait! butch3r, how did things work out on the (drill-less) rear rack you wanted for pizza deliveries? You never got back to us. Sign me, curious WN :D
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
butch3r

Post by butch3r »

WhiteNoise wrote:Wait! butch3r, how did things work out on the (drill-less) rear rack you wanted for pizza deliveries? You never got back to us. Sign me, curious WN :D
My in-laws pizza place is worried that pizzas will slide around more with the turns on a scooter and there's less shock absorbers on bumps then a car our here in L.A. That's their logic. So it has been a no go so far.
butch3r

Post by butch3r »

Tom192 wrote:My pcx is doing a 70 mile round trip at the moment approx 1:10 each way, bike will be absolutely fine, your bum on the other hand may not be! Obviously keep up with the maintenance as 2500 miles flies by with me doing 70 a day but longer runs have seen me hitting 129 mpg
ok great. that gives me some comfort. that's the drive for me. 72 miles each way.
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Post by Mister Paul »

Better on a Forza. Much better.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

butch3r wrote:72 miles each way.
Will be doable but absolutely no fun at all on a 125.
I wouldn't consider anything less than a 300 for that distance, a 400 would be more realistic though.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

UK here, I've done 100 miles plus in a day no issue. US roads are different.
aka DrewJW
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

DrewJW wrote:UK here, I've done 100 miles plus in a day no issue. US roads are different.
And LA roads are different than most US roads. If 6 miles is currently taking you about half an hour, even given different routes, are you sure 72 miles will only take 75 minutes?

+1 on something larger than a PCX. I think I'd save the purchase money and use it to get a place closer to the job. Nearly 150 miles round-trip each day in LA traffic would be brutal. Life is too short for that kind of punishment.
Last edited by Bash On! on Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

butch3r wrote:
WhiteNoise wrote:Wait! butch3r, how did things work out on the (drill-less) rear rack you wanted for pizza deliveries? You never got back to us. Sign me, curious WN :D
My in-laws pizza place is worried that pizzas will slide around more with the turns on a scooter and there's less shock absorbers on bumps then a car our here in L.A. That's their logic. So it has been a no go so far.
Saw a _bunch_ of pizza delivery scooters in San Jose, Costa Rica. Roads and traffic at least as bad as parts of LA. Perhaps Ticas don't care if the cheese is stuck to the top of the box. Try a test run--proof is in the pudding.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

It would require a service every 3 or 4 weeks as well at that mileage.
Tom192
Regular User
Regular User
Color: red

Post by Tom192 »

70 miles each way will be pushing it!
thunderkat59
Year: 2011 PCX 125
Color: white

Post by thunderkat59 »

I traded my Burgman 400 for a 2011 PCS with 500 miles and dont regret it. I would determine where you are going to spend the most time. To me, the 400 was a chunker in urban traffic. Too big and cumbersome for me. I would love to have a big bike for long trips, but since I do 99% of my riding in town, I wouldn't want to go back to the 400 if I could only keep one. If the long trips were infrequent, I would just get used to it :)
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Certainly the PCX can do it , but I think in the long run, you will tire with something this small.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

Alibally wrote:It would require a service every 3 or 4 weeks as well at that mileage.
Yep. The PCX's short maintenance interval could indicate that the scooter was not intended for the kind of high-mileage use contemplated by the OP.
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I had a Burgman 400 for quite a while and loved it. However, as above, it is not an easy bike for mostly in town use. On the road though, it was extremely comfortable. I could easily do freeway rides for hours on end. I ended up trading down to a pcx 150 because my wife and I spend so much time riding in and around town. That doesn't mean that we don't go on the road with them, though. We recently took a 250 mile ride on them. To do that we definitely bought custom seats and tall windscreens. Something to think about if you are doing long rides...comfort is important, as well as wind protection.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister Paul »

Bash On! wrote:
Alibally wrote:It would require a service every 3 or 4 weeks as well at that mileage.
Yep. The PCX's short maintenance interval could indicate that the scooter was not intended for the kind of high-mileage use contemplated by the OP.
8000 mile intervals on the Forza 300. It's why I chose it over the Kawasaki J300.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Mister Paul wrote:8000 mile intervals on the Forza 300. It's why I chose it over the Kawasaki J300.
Despite the promising 8000 mile intervals the Forza hasn't exactly covered itsself in glory in the reliability stakes.
Quite a few people have gone through rear brake pads long before the first 8000 mile service and have had difficulty getting fuel pumps replaced.
Also the non availability of the correct size rear tyre in the USA is a complete disgrace.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

Like most said you can certainly do it although after awhile the comfort level might get to you. I still have my PCX 150 but I'm going to sell it. I bought a 2009 Silverwing and I love it. I have no problem with it in town or on the highway. I can tell you my husband and I took a trip down to Springfield, IL. He was on his motorcycle and I was on the Silver Wing. I had no problem keeping up with the 70 mph speed limit or the hubby. That was a 400 mile round trip in one day. There is no way I would have done that trip on the PCX.
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister Paul »

gn2 wrote:
Mister Paul wrote:8000 mile intervals on the Forza 300. It's why I chose it over the Kawasaki J300.
Despite the promising 8000 mile intervals the Forza hasn't exactly covered itsself in glory in the reliability stakes.
Quite a few people have gone through rear brake pads long before the first 8000 mile service and have had difficulty getting fuel pumps replaced.
Also the non availability of the correct size rear tyre in the USA is a complete disgrace.
Brake wear isn't about reliability is it? Or service intervals to be honest.