Sizing helmets online

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

Keebler Dwarf

Sizing helmets online

Post by Keebler Dwarf »

Hi all,

I'm very new to this scooter thing. I bought a Scorpion EXO 400 helmet to start out with and almost immediately wished I'd bought a high-end helmet. I'm seeing a lot of decent-looking Nolan helmets online and I think they would about fit the bill. How does one ensure that the fit is right on helmets they haven't ever actually tried on? I'm told that every company sizes their helmets differently, so though I'm an XXL for Scorpion, maybe I might not be the same size for everyone.

Also, I'm presently in the US but in a year or so I hope to be in another country- not sure where yet- and I'd like to buy a bike/scooter there if job and environment permit. What are the odds that if I buy a quality helmet it will be legal to wear in any country I go to? I have my eye on Japan/Taiwan/Korea.
JGC
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Sizing helmets online

Post by JGC »

The helmet sizing is very very hit and miss, I had a Nolan but couldn't live with it. I have Shoie Multitech, which to me is the most comfy helmet I've had, HJC rub the back of my head something chronic, Caberg I can't even fit! I will add at this point that I wear two hearing aids and salso wear glasses. So for me I would not look any further than Shoie's now!
OK as for finding right fit, best advice I can honestly give you is this. You need to try as many different lids as you can until you hit upon the one that you find comfortable, it might be 'high end' (as you call it) or it could be middle of the road.
So go around as many different bike shops as you can. Once you've found what works for you, go and buy that one online if it works out cheaper.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

You can't "fit" from the fitment charts. You HAVE to go into a motorcycle shop to try on the helmets before you buy, to make sure they fit your head's shape.

I've gone in, tried a few, remembered the ones that fit, then ordered online when I got home to save money. :lol:
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Ive got a Large Open face helmet thats loose and an XL full face thats snug. You need to try them on and also if you plan on wearing glasses or sunglasses try with them on too!
louthepoo
Regular User
Regular User

Post by louthepoo »

You absolutely have to try on the helmets, I was a large in the cheap box scope helmet I had and it fitted perfectly! When I bought the new caberg ego I couldn't even get the large on my head!! I got the XL and that fits perfectly! Shoei, arai and shark didn't fit well at all which was a shame as I'd seen helmets from those three online at half price in the size I wouldve been! We've all got different shaped heads and helmets come in different shapes too.

I was going to try on in the shop and order on -line but I got a deal and like to shop at small local shops knowing how hard it can be to make a living.