Rear brake has too much free play

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

chowzai
Year: 2015
Color: Grey

Rear brake has too much free play

Post by chowzai »

Hi All,

I bought a brand new PCX last week and realised that the rear brake has too much free play (I have to hold it down about 2inches before the brake begins to engage. I tried tightening the brake from the rear wheel on the left hand side but if I tighten it the ignition doesn't start.

Is this normal? Maybe its the design of the PCX?

On a second note, how long do you guys have to hold down the ignition button before the the scooter fully starts running? For me its a couple of seconds (which isn't bad) but I looked on youtube and it seems like they are starting instantly. Is that normal? Maybe its part of the "Break in" period?

Its my first scooter and its brand new so I just want to make sure things are working out correctly.

Thanks for your help guys!

Rico
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Re: Rear brake has too much free play

Post by iceman »

I'd say mine is almost instant to about half a second.
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

Almost instant also. Sounds like yours may need some adjustment.
chowzai

Post by chowzai »

hmmm ok, thanks for the tip. It started ok today.

What about the free play on the back brake? Have you guys tried tightening it from the rear wheel?

Took her out today, everything seems ok. Just wished the rear brake worked better. It slows you down but its really really weak.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

I don't like my rear brake - seems poor compared to other scooters such as the much older honda lead I took my CBT on. Still, people say engine brake when you can, use the front mostly and top it off with the rear. Not sure if it's poor design or due to the CBS stuff.
chowzai

Post by chowzai »

Yea. Back brake is almost non existent. It will slow you down in Cornering just about. Overall a great bike though. I am going to call my dealer about the free play. Hope they can tighten it up more. I tried tightening it from the rear wheel but the engine wouldn't ignite if I do that. I literally have to hold the brake like 2 inches down. 3/4 touching the handle bar before it does anything.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Please let us know what your dealer says and does. Thank ya :)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
chowzai

Post by chowzai »

He actually said the manual is wrong because pcx bikes are like that. Every bike is different. He did say service team will look at it on my first service. Any idea what the first service will entail? The 600 miles or 6 week mark.

Thanks
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

He is wrong then! I had the same issue before my 2,500 mile service, mentioned this, and the brake was checked out by my dealers, the rear brake now can lock up the rear wheel!

Keep at your dealers, they're being sodding lazy!
aka DrewJW
yak
Minister of Magic
Minister of Magic
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by yak »

Not much happens at the 600 mile service. Mostly an oil change. Many dealers are asking you to delay until 1,000 miles. The 2 key things are the valve adjustment and the oil strainer. If those are both correct, you have little to do for the next 5,000 miles. There are lots of previous threads about these items. Maybe 1 in 20 needed a valve adjustment. Maybe 1 in 40 had some debris in the oil strainer ( i did not do a true analysis about these numbers but they make my writing sound much more official). So there is a good chance that you can save the $165 USD and change the oil yourself at 1,000 miles.
chowzai

Post by chowzai »

Hi Drew, thanks for the reply. If the rear brake is too loose, there is less chance of a rear wheel lock up right? Mine is too loose, not too tight. I did try tightening it but the engine wouldn't start. Maybe it's a safety feature. Lol.

Hi Yak, I was told that if I don't service at 600 miles or 6 weeks my Honda warranty would be voided? I don't have a clue about bikes, don't even know what an oil change or valve adjustment is so wouldn't be able to sevice it myself. Haha.

I am still trying to work out how to break in the bike. Done about 93 miles so far but haven't gone past 45mph. :) any tips?
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

The bike doesn't need much running in, best way is to ride it normally without thrashing it.
Blubayou
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX125

Post by Blubayou »

Am I the only one who likes the combined braking system?

Thought I'd hate it but I find it very effective.

If your rear brake is properly adjusted, it takes a good tug on the brake lever to ensure the starter is not inhibited, but it should start instantly.

I think the brakes on the PCX are very good indeed. :D
wangsuda
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by wangsuda »

^I have no problem with mine either. I find the combi brakes are great in Bangkok traffic and excellent for curves. Oh, and my rear brake seems fine. Does the job.
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

Since my dealer (AllBikes Rochdale) did my 2,500 mile service, and had a look over the CBS system, I've noticed a remarkable improvement, more then once until I quickly got used to the increased power, I pulled too hard on the rear lever, and locked up the rear!.
aka DrewJW
chowzai

Post by chowzai »

Hmmmm. I will just wait for the first service and mention it. The bike starts normally now. I think it was just the run in period. Great bike so far. Love it!
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011

Post by maddiedog »

You should be able to tighten up the rear brake and still start it. Your switch to the starter may be a bit bent out of place, check the little switch under the left lever and see if it's pushed out of place. I was able to tighten mine a fair bit and ran into trouble with the rear brake being engaged from being too tight before I ever ran into problems with engaging the start switch.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes