routine 2 riders

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

loudgonzo

routine 2 riders

Post by loudgonzo »

Hi all, anyone routinely ride with 2 people on the pcx? Is the performance significantly affected; acceleration, top speed, mpg etc...

looking to get the 150 to ride to/from work mostly, about 25 miles each way, but would be with 2 people. Is there any issue with consistent 2 riders? Mostly interested in performance.....the route would be mostly street, around 40-50mph, stoplights. No highway, unless we are running late, and would be for about 8-10 miles at highway speeds.

Appreciate any info and input.

thanks!
lg
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: routine 2 riders

Post by gn2 »

You haven't said what weight the riders are.
It's possible for two riders to weigh less than one...
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Ive carried myself, brother in law and tool bag weighing around 200kg all up which is 440lb. Bike handled fine though I didnt go faster than 45mph which was the speed limit but dont think it would have gone much faster. Mine is the orginal 125 motor so the 150 should be better. I wouldnt be going on fast 60mph plus roads two up though. Acceleration was way down but could keep up with traffic.
loudgonzo

Post by loudgonzo »

about 330-340 combined
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

It's not ideal for your needs imo.
You would be far better served by a 300-400cc maxiscoot, something like a Kymco Downtown 300, Piaggio X10 350 or Suzuki Burgman 400.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:You haven't said what weight the riders are.
It's possible for two riders to weigh less than one...

My wife lies about her weight too...
loudgonzo

Post by loudgonzo »

thanks gn2, i stopped by dealer yesterday for visit.

is even more impressive in person than online, quite larger than i expected. i was talking and asking questions to one of the guys at dealership, and of course, his answers were what you would expect from any salesperson. Pretty much yes to everything. Thinking about it more,

my needs are pretty consistent and routine:
-commute to work 2 maybe 3 times a week with 2 riders, ~50 miles round trip
-when i work weekends, i would commute by myself, 2 weekends per month, same distance
-fun drives around town

my thoughts
-the price is good
-performance is greatly reduced, but i don't expect to need max performance very often, if rarely (this would be when getting on hwy, but only if we are running late, might be better to stay off with 2 people, just show up little late)
-total weight is under max
-it is capable of carrying 2 people after all
-our use of it would not be long distance hwy cruising/touring, which i think the other bikes gn2 pointed out are more geared to,
-the other scooters have about 60-70mpg, which may be what we get on the 150 with 2 riders in the end...but a much higher price point
-reading taz's post, the 125 did about 45 with 440+lb, so we are about 100lb less, with a little better performance bike, which sounds like we could do about 50-55mph, which is a little above our avg speeds when we drive our car, same route.

the candy red is killer!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

It is capable but it certainly will not be comfortable.
loudgonzo

Post by loudgonzo »

gn2, are you referring to seat design, or just both riders being squished together? or more for the passenger? maybe a top box with backrest can alleviate a little bit of the uncomfort?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Seat design, physical size of the machine and the lack of performance.
If you want to ride in comfort with a passenger you'll need a bigger engine in a bigger machine.
jords

Post by jords »

hi all

i pick my missus up from the city of london once or twice a week during the summer and we live in north enfield about 10 miles each way. The pcx125 i have has no trouble getting us home and it will still do 50-55 mph on the A10 (major road).Acceleration is definatly slower but still easily keeps up with traffic .Our combined weight is probably pushing towards the upper limit so the main difference is the handling no pre adjustment on the suspension means you lose a lot of suspension travel and therfore ground clearance . I catch the centre stand now and again and have worn a bit off on one side , so no getting your knee down . Comfort wise iv got a 55 litre givi top box (off my old 500cc motorbike ) with a backrest and it deffo makes things more secure for the pillion. With passenger on board im pushed just abit further forward so not quite as comfy and because of this i cant lock my arms straight if we have to break heavily (quite common in london rush hour traffic) so you end up supporting a bit of forward momentum with just your arm muscles .
hope this information is of help

if she can be persuaded i wil try to post a pictur !!!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

jords wrote:hi all

i pick my missus up from the city of london once or twice a week during the summer and we live in north enfield about 10 miles each way. The pcx125 i have has no trouble getting us home and it will still do 50-55 mph on the A10 (major road).Acceleration is definatly slower but still easily keeps up with traffic .Our combined weight is probably pushing towards the upper limit so the main difference is the handling no pre adjustment on the suspension means you lose a lot of suspension travel and therfore ground clearance . I catch the centre stand now and again and have worn a bit off on one side , so no getting your knee down . Comfort wise iv got a 55 litre givi top box (off my old 500cc motorbike ) with a backrest and it deffo makes things more secure for the pillion. With passenger on board im pushed just abit further forward so not quite as comfy and because of this i cant lock my arms straight if we have to break heavily (quite common in london rush hour traffic) so you end up supporting a bit of forward momentum with just your arm muscles .
hope this information is of help

if she can be persuaded i wil try to post a pictur !!!

Ive been dropping the wife off at work with no problems.
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

also have no problem 2 up on the PCX. I'm mostly by myself. If you're within the max weight together you'll be more than fine. We weigh about 350 combined with gear. Acceleration is a little slower, but if we can do it on the 125, you can deff do it with a 150. I have a top box and my girl appreciates that its there too.
loudgonzo

Post by loudgonzo »

thanks for the info everyone.

I would definitely give more thought to other scooters if our primary use was pleasure with 2 up for long drives. But our one way commute would be about 35-45 minutes, so i think any discomfort would be pretty brief.

I've been browsing the top boxes, and it looks like the givi e370 with a backrest is a plus and will make it a bit more comfortable.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

I suppose comfort is relative, what one person is happy with another may not.
Having owned a PCX for the best part of two years and ridden it over 10,000 miles I find myself unable to recommend it for anything other than a city runabout.
It just doesn't have the performance or fuel range for a regular 25 mile commute on open roads.
That's before you factor in the utterly woeful 2500 mile service interval which will see you needing five services every year to keep the warranty.
Guess it sounds like I may have fallen out of love with my PCX?
Not really, but the honeymoon is very definitely over.
loudgonzo

Post by loudgonzo »

gn2 wrote:I suppose comfort is relative, what one person is happy with another may not.
Having owned a PCX for the best part of two years and ridden it over 10,000 miles I find myself unable to recommend it for anything other than a city runabout.
It just doesn't have the performance or fuel range for a regular 25 mile commute on open roads.
That's before you factor in the utterly woeful 2500 mile service interval which will see you needing five services every year to keep the warranty.
Guess it sounds like I may have fallen out of love with my PCX?
Not really, but the honeymoon is very definitely over.
gn2,
I don't understand your point that it doesn't have have performance or range for a 25 mile commute? more weight drops every performance spec on any vehicle, but in this case i'm guessing fuel range drops to around what the max would be on a bigger, more expensive scooter. The roads we plan to drive on mostly are not highway, I said very short distance if we had to, and likely not, preferring to be late if performance happens to be too lacking.

most service can be diy no?
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

LG
With the 150 and less weight than me, you should be fine for a 2 up commute. I avoided my fast highway when 2 up with its 60mph limit as I new I wouldnt keep up with that but for 45mph roads you will be fine. Main performance factor is acceleration which will be way down so you wont be doing much overtaking. Add a few PSI to the rear tyre when 2 up and avoid potholes in the road! If you have lots of money I would consider the new NC700D Integra as that has loads of torque so would be great for 2 up. Shame it has less storage than the PCX!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

loudgonzo wrote: i'm guessing fuel range drops to around what the max would be on a bigger, more expensive scooter.
Nope, the PCX has a very small fuel tank so on a fifty mile round trip you will have to fill it every second day which is a p.i.t.a.
So is diy servicing.
There are bigger scooters with bigger tanks and longer service intervals which will need filling and servicing much less often.
Did I mention that they are faster and more comfortable as well :lol:
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Whenever I fill my car up I also top up my 20 litre fuel can and always fill my PCX up from that in my garage. Havent been to a gas station yet and refuelling is a non issue. I dont do the fuelly thing though...
loudgonzo

Post by loudgonzo »

picked up the red 150 yesterday.

thanks for all input and opinions, i think this will do fine, me and wife drove around neighborhood last night and it feels like it has enough power, we didn't go all open throttle so i don't know where we'll top out at, but we did get to about 45 or so pretty easily, has very good torque, but not enough to pass others often, definitely will be in the right side lane with 2 up.

hadn't thought about taz comment about fueling at home from gas can, a great tip that i will use often, but we pass by quite a few gas stations everyday, a non issue for me.

will need to order a windscreen also, felt a lot of resistance, looking at the ermax25, and the 370 topbox.

these will have to wait a paycycle or two though, helmet and jackets, took a good chunk.

thanks again!