High Speed Miss at 65mph

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Joan & Jack
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

High Speed Miss at 65mph

Post by Joan & Jack »

I ride a 2013 PCX 150 with 4400 miles. Approximately 1/3 of my 12 mile commute is on a six lane interstate (I-4) east of Orlando, FL. I get merged into the right lane and ride in that lane to my exit. This week at 65 mph my PCX has a big time "miss" If I back off the throttle a smidgen and the mph drops to 63 or below, it purrs like a kitten. I am puzzled. Anyone experience this phenomenon?

I put some "Sea Foam" fuel additive in the tank last evening. That has not improved the miss. It seems like the engine is starving for fuel, more so than being an ignition problem.

Thanks,
Jack Ferrell
Deltona, FL
2013 Honda PCX with Honda Top Case and Honda Windshield. Best documented gas mileage was 110 MPG
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red

Re: High Speed Miss at 65mph

Post by j.d.b. »

Yes, you're describing fuel starvation. Sounds like it's time for a pump or at least a look at a possible constriction in the fuel supply line(s). I've experienced that on two cars, though they were clogs in the filters back then.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Maybe its the speed limiter kicking in...?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by tbln930 »

Yep - If it is the original belt I bet 65 mph is about it.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

You can also check the spark plug, in case it's running lean for some odd reason.

The PCX (when it hits the limiter) backs off very quickly and feels like a miss.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by j.d.b. »

I see these things have a diagnostic jack. They apparently have OBD, as well. Has anyone here ever hooked up a scanner to a PCX?
To the OP: Does the MIL (check engine) light come on and/or blink when the miss happens? The manual describes a procedure how to read any stored codes by blinking the MIL. Do you have a manual? If it has multiple misfire, it should store a code (unless it's hitting the rev-limiter). In most modern OBD's the MIL will flash when multiple misfire is detected (unless it's hitting the limiter). These appear to have halfway decent OBD systems. You could take it in to service if all our "help" fails to ID the trouble.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Speed limiter....or an angel slowing you down on a little PCX out in the freeway!
Probably nothing wrong with this scooter.
Fish
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

+10 speed limiter..
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

j.d.b. wrote:I see these things have a diagnostic jack. They apparently have OBD, as well. Has anyone here ever hooked up a scanner to a PCX?
To the OP: Does the MIL (check engine) light come on and/or blink when the miss happens? The manual describes a procedure how to read any stored codes by blinking the MIL. Do you have a manual? If it has multiple misfire, it should store a code (unless it's hitting the rev-limiter). In most modern OBD's the MIL will flash when multiple misfire is detected (unless it's hitting the limiter). These appear to have halfway decent OBD systems. You could take it in to service if all our "help" fails to ID the trouble.

Where is the OBD port situated?
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

you you wrote:
j.d.b. wrote:I see these things have a diagnostic jack. They apparently have OBD, as well. Has anyone here ever hooked up a scanner to a PCX?
Where is the OBD port situated?
From memory, the service manual indicates you have to remove some panels and bits to get to it as it's usually attributable to major rather than minor problems. You can by these MIL codes scanners but they cost about £400 for good ones or cheap Ebay ones (do they work?). The flashes are a starting point - there is more info available to the scanner. Not often anyone on this forum has has a major MIL malfunction though.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

Come on you guys. At 65 mph it's obviously just hitting the rev limiter like we have discussed many times. There is no need for any diagnostics. He can change to DrPulley sliders to get a few more mph in final gearing. Or go for the NCY variator and drive face to get 6 mph more when in a tail wind.
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by j.d.b. »

To "You you": the manual shows the port located left of the battery's positive terminal.
Now, then. The O.P. WAS able to travel at 65 mph before this problem began. It is possible he's hitting the rev-limiter, but, it's also possible there's another problem(s). We're all just guessing at this point. O.P., have you done any further checking?
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

j.d.b. wrote:The O.P. WAS able to travel at 65 mph before this problem began.
Normal belt wear gradually diminishes the top gear ratio more and more with increasing mileage. He has 4,000 miles on the bike and can still hit 65 mph at the rev limiter. This is really good belt wear. And perfectly normal to feel the rev limiter fade in and out at these high speeds.
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by j.d.b. »

So, O.P. what have you found? Enquiring minds want to know..... :)