Morning ride = sooooo cold!

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Cyberbodhi
Year: 2015
Color: White

Morning ride = sooooo cold!

Post by Cyberbodhi »

The last couple morning ride-ins have been really cold. Been thinking maybe some long-johns or something. What do you all do to stay warm? Looking for advice, anything from pocket-book friendly, to over-the-top pocket nuclear reactor! What do you wear to stay warm and dry as the weather changes?
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Re: Morning ride = sooooo cold!

Post by iceman »

Normal rainproof biker trousers (came free with http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcy ... rod/117294) and never felt cold on my legs even at sub zero temps, the jacket above with lining and t-shirt/fleece underneath, and a choice of gloves - so far found gore-tex mittens with lining and thernal liner glove inside the best for rain/cold resistance. Or you can get bar mitts which work well with gloves.
Kermit
Scootering Amphibian
Scootering Amphibian

Post by Kermit »

I add the inner layer and "storm collar" to my jacket and wear long johns under my jeans. Those things help, but when it's really really cold, I just don't ride.
mrdtrotter
Color: black

Post by mrdtrotter »

Not sure what country you're in but I use Scruff base layers. Really good. Guess could get them on the bay wherever in the world you are.
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red

Post by j.d.b. »

Once it gets below 50F I drive my car.
WaunaPCX
Color: Pearl white

Post by WaunaPCX »

j.d.b. wrote:Once it gets below 50F I drive my car.
come on now, that would make sense :lol:

OP - I wear jeans with fleece inserts. I don't wear these exact ones, but like this: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/23962?pa ... lassic-fit
They're not riding pants, but they are warm as all getout and quite a bit cheaper. I layer my top, usually with under armor and a few long-sleeve shirts underneath the riding jacket.

The only part of me that really stays cold are my fingers. I'm trying to avoid using the muffs. I think handlebar windscreens would be one of the best first mods to keeping warm. Better than heated grips, even. 8)
My PCX ride video library: http://touringkeypeninsula.wordpress.com/
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

I have ridden my scoot to work at 3 degrees fahrenheit.
Silk glove liners, wool then leather gloves - like the old air force guys used to do.
Lots of layers on top and below- but the best thing is light weight rubberized rain pants and jacket with elastic cuffs. Hunting gear sellers..
If rain can't get through , the wind can't either. Used to ride winters to work in Mass. with this rain gear and just a sweater below.

Keep the wind out and you will stay fairly warm.
Fish
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Someone needs to come up with universal sets of bar mitt style plastic wind protectors that actually go above and beyond what is out there at present - make a million :) - something like the hand guards and wind protectors but which has a larger surface area so it covers from in front of the handlebars over the top of your hands to stop rain, and under your hands too. Most if not all out there only cover a small area - there would be plenty of space for your hands with gloves/mittens, just that bit extra to be fully rain and wind proof without pressing on the levers. The cheap Ebay hang guards cover more than most expensive ones (except the £160 bmw ones) but none have the extra few inches of plastic needed.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Found a seller of hi viz, water proof jackets with 3M reflective areas. Good prices.
Made for highway and plant workers. Big enough to wear over your protective, armored, motorcycle jackets. Up to 7X !!
Searched hunting and motorcycle shops....nothing or way too expensive....so look at construction worker outfitters in your area.
Ordered mine last night....Ohio winter's coming!
Fish
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Re: cold hands, army surplus mittens with gore-tex and fleece style lining and the matching gore-tex over-mitten works wonders - totally waterproof, wind-proof and warm. You can even wear silk or wool liners under the inner mitts to increase protection from the elements. I have two of those things and have no issue with control of the throttle or indicator/brake. Also good to get a size that leaves some air-space and not too tight, which also helps with movement. All can be had for under £20 delivered.

A waterproof light-weight jacket with pockets, taped seems and zip cover costs less than £10 and so far has stopped any rain getting through to my normal textile jactet which I wear underneath - this is in long bouts of very heavy rain.
Ratster
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Ratster »

First gear thermo suit.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

I ride 1 hour each way rain or shine any time there is no ice on the roads and rely on plug in electrically heated jacket liner, pants liner, and glove liners, under my riding jacket, pants and gloves.
http://www.ventureheat.com/power-sports ... liner.html
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

My Tourmaster Quest textile pants can keep me nice and warm outside at 4C (40F) even if I'm just wearing thin pajama shorts underneath. The problem with shorts is that above 20C, they kind stick to you as the material is not breathable so wearing long pants underneath is recommended. They are comfortable with pants up to about 27C when they start to get a bit warm, and they do get unbearably hot when it's 35C+ outside so you're better with riding jeans at warmer temperatures. They have CE armour in the knees and also padding in the hips.

https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/tourma ... pants.html
http://www.revzilla.com/product/tour-master-quest-pants

Before I got these pants, I found that cycling or jogging tights under my normal pants and then also a wind and water resistant outer layer kept me plenty warm. The coldest I've ever ridden is was -6C (21F) and maybe an hour in the top of my legs above my knees started feeling a bit cold.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hey Op (original poster), has any of the above info helped you? There's more where that came from :D
Tell you what, if you go back to the "user control panel" (see my helpful tidbit on that below), and complete the location area, then we'll all know "Where you're coming from" thus making it easier to dress you for those Colder rides.

From where I stand (look to the left, under my "happy" avatar biker pic :D ), We're just starting to feel a chill in the air. Winter will be arriving sooner than I'd like. I'm Not a full blown winter rider. Too cold, too much snow, salt and ice. I will ride as low 40F, But winter? I'd rather skate or snowmobile...makes sense ;) dressed properly of course.

Oh yes, that brings us back to winter scoot riding attire.
Layer your clothing!! Long John undies, top and bottom, long sleeve mock shirt, sweatshirt, below the waist Rev'it jacket, Rev'it pants with armor, silk glove liners, gortex gloves (not wrist but gauntlets), neck warmer you pick style, silk skull cap (although I've yet to wear it), full face helmet, wool knee high sock (wick away fabric), oh...and ear plugs (cushy soft and yes, I can hear everything about me).
I can share brand names of several types I have, if anyone is interested.
My boots are calf height, fully waterproof and leather. Called Daytona's. Costly but only the best for my feet that carry me everyday. Think about it. What a job! Well done at that!

I believe I covered it all and then some. Sorry if this got Bor....ing (I do tend to go beyond, scusi) :)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Bidlack78
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by Bidlack78 »

I just throw on some rain gear
Larry David
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Larry David »

iceman wrote:Normal rainproof biker trousers (came free with http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcy ... rod/117294) and never felt cold on my legs even at sub zero temps, the jacket above with lining and t-shirt/fleece underneath, and a choice of gloves - so far found gore-tex mittens with lining and thernal liner glove inside the best for rain/cold resistance. Or you can get bar mitts which work well with gloves.
I've just bought the jacket and trousers on your recommendation.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Larry David wrote:
iceman wrote:Normal rainproof biker trousers (came free with http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcy ... rod/117294) and never felt cold on my legs even at sub zero temps, the jacket above with lining and t-shirt/fleece underneath, and a choice of gloves - so far found gore-tex mittens with lining and thernal liner glove inside the best for rain/cold resistance. Or you can get bar mitts which work well with gloves.
I've just bought the jacket and trousers on your recommendation.
:) - the reviews on the website for this jacket speak for themselves - good value and they will change them free of charge (inc postage) if you need other sizes of trouser/jacket (applies to almost all goods they sell over about £25). The trousers and jacket have lasted about 16 months daily use. I do wear a hi-viz vest over my blue jacket, even though it has hi-vis patches, and also a cheap waterproof jacket over it when it is heavy rain (not many gloves / jackets are really totally waterproof). With a t-shirt, fleece and the jacket, I've not been too cold in the heart of winter, albeit city riding (30-40 max).
xixon
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Black

Post by xixon »

I wear my snowmobile suit and gloves...good to -40
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

During winter I use my strapon...
Oh. That's a different discussion. So when my morning rides get consistently below 8°C I strap the tucano termoscout to the bike and don't even take off until spring comes. It also has a front part protecting your frontal area as well as a rain protector to keep you from that cold soggy feeling what only the hump can give you.
above waist a moderate jacket, neck warmers and a full face helmet does it. Hands get cold though. I usually have an extra fleece and a hi vis thin rain jacket to keep me from getting cold if I get caught in anythiting holding me up.
keep in mind tho I only use the scoot in town where roads are (mostly) de-iced and cleaned from snow.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I'm a Geordie so just a t-shirt for me in all weathers