Second Service

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015 Honda MSX
Color: Red

Second Service

Post by jojo87 »

Hey,

The PCX is coming up to 2500 miles and i've just emailed Thunder Road Honda Dealers to get it in for the Service (I paid £399 for 5 Services)

I also mentioned in the email about replacing the Clutch parts, as in another thread someone said they had the same issue and had a part replaced, I was also told that some of the newer PCX models had issues with Clutch Bearings?

The fact Thunder Road had the Bike in and admitted to hearing the rattle I got, between 25-35mph, so they admitted to the Bike having a problem, they had it for 5 weeks and replaced the Crankshaft after apparently stripping the Engine and finding nothing,
so they replaced the Crankshaft and told me it was fixed and running as it should, yet when I got it back, and tested it straight away, nothing had changed, so i'm not sure why they did that.

For anyone that hasn't seen my previous threads about this, basically, whenever the Throttle is pulled, there is a rattle/whistle sound coming from the left side of the Bike, whenever the Throttle is let go, the sound goes, you can mostly hear it clearly between 25-35mph, but it is always there, even up to 50mph, I can hear it through the Engine/Exhaust noise, through my Helmet and through wind noise, I even paid about £300 for a Leo Vince Exhaust hoping it would drown out the rattle, but it hasn't.

I'm waiting for a reply back from Thunder Road to see when they can get it in for the second Service,
the thing is, I now have the Leo Vince Exhaust, will that effect the Warranty?
will they say we cant replace the Clutch under the Warranty as you've put a different Exhaust on so you'll have to pay for it?
would it be better to get the pick up date from them and put the stock Exhaust back on it before they pick it up?

Also, for the second Service, does the Exhaust have to come off? as I had to use copper/steel strips and LocTite in the Swingarm to mount the Exhaust as the thread got rounded when doing the bolt up in there,
so if they take the Exhaust off, how will they get the bolt back in? would they easily be able to re-thread the Swingarm?

This Bike is actually really p*ssing me off big time, I get driven in to by a Car on my 2013 model, after my leg healing I just wanted to get another Bike and get back on the road, buys the 2014 model, constant rattle etc, yet a Honda Dealers can't sort the issue and are basically fobbing it back off to me all the time with the issue still there.... I also emailed the Dealers I got it from (in England, im in Wales) about a replacement, and they said they contacted Thunder Road and Thunder Road told them the Bike is running as it should, when it isn't, Thunder Road admitted to hearing the problem, hence having it for 5 weeks and replacing the Crankshaft.... so for them to then tell the Dealers I bought it from, that there is nothing wrong, really p*ssed me off!

Anyway, what you guys think? put the stock Exhaust back on before they take it? or leave it on?
as the only reason I had to fork out nearly £300 for the new Exhaust was only to drown out a issue that THEY couldn't sort out int he first place!
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Re: Second Service

Post by iceman »

Forward all the info to Honda direct stating incompetence and all the time you have lost and costs involved and ask them to arrange for a trusted dealer to sort under warranty. If still no joy, advise the sale of goods act comes into play (which last for up to six years on a diminishing scale of costs).
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

Can't even remember how many times i've emailed Honda, all they tell me is to take it to a Honda Dealers, i've just emailed them again now as I sent a message via their Website instead and asked them to reply back so I can then go into detail as they only allowed 500 characters, so they replied back asking what the problem was, I emailed everything to them, but no reply...... still no reply from Thunder Road since they had the Bike a few months back, hoping their Service 'email' replies back asap as it does need it's second Service doing, and paying the £399 for their Service Plan, they collect the Bike free as well so hoping they can sort that soon, so will wait to see if they reply and see what they say about the Clutch being replaced etc.

Regarding my Leo Vince Exhaust, would I need to take that off before hand? has putting that Exhaust on affected the Warranty?
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

I would not give them a reason, you can swap that exhaust in 15 minutes JoJo... do it.
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

Bolt hole is stripped though (the top one) so going to be a pain as I don't want to leave a bolt out from there when they take it and just have the 2 bottom bolts in, meaning i'm going to have to get more copper/steel strips in there again... pain in the arse!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Wrap the bolt in ptfe tape, it should be OK if there's any thread left at all.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
jon_l
Year: 2013
Color: black PCX

Post by jon_l »

why not run a tap into the hole to clean up the messed-up threads?
black 2013 PCX150, red & black 2012 Triumph Thunderbird 1600
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

jon_l wrote:why not run a tap into the hole to clean up the messed-up threads?
Attachments
gn.jpg
gn.jpg (9.18 KiB) Viewed 5070 times
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

Wouldn't know how to do that, didn't think i'd get to 2500 miles to quickly after putting the new Exhaust on anyway, and the copper/steel strips and LocTite has been amazing so thought i'd been fine for quite a while, but obviously got to the 2500 mark quicker than I thought, STILL waiting for a email back about the second Service as i'm not over the 2500 mark! Thunder Road are SHIT!
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

Not sure if the part is Aluminium, but thought that counts eh :)

As for the exhaust, honestly surprised that you did not consider this before you fitted the Leo Vince, however I understand you just wanted to enjoy your bike.

I would be open, explain to garage it was a personal mod, and approach it openly. End of the day handing your PCX to a mechanic to service, he/she will notice fairly quickly if anything is off.

Thinking of fitting a new exhaust to mine next year too, on 4,500 miles now though o_O
aka DrewJW
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

I was told the strips and LocTite would work well, and it has, easy to do as i'm not mechanical at all.... and the strips and LocTite has made a real secure fit, so I didn't really think about the next Service at the time as I just wanted to see if the Exhaust would cover the rattle noise i've got (which it hasn't)..... the fact I only put the Exhaust on because the Honda Dealer lied about fixing the issue and fobbed it back to me still with the problem after 5 weeks of having it and replacing parts that didn't need replacing! so again, only put it on to cover something they couldn't fix.... so I don't see why having that Exhaust on would affect the Warranty at all, I might put the stock one back on though, as Thunder Road have been complete and utter lying useless arses to be honest, they've not replied to any of my emails since they had the Bike and fobbed it back to me, even for the second Service now, still no reply, even though I paid them £399 for their Service Plan! I don't want to give them any reason to be even more of an idiot and say 'we can't do the Clutch parts because you've added a different Exhaust'.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

jojo87 wrote:I paid them £399 for their Service Plan!
Not always best to pay for the goods before you receive them.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Is their any reason why the clutch wants replacing other than a hunch? any dealership will be reluctant to throw parts at a customers bike to "try to fix it" as it costs them in the long run.

Honesty is your best option here, look at it this way, if they remove the rear wheel to check something as part of a service, they will notice immediately on removal of the exhaust, that one of the threads is stripped, and has been fixed using ptfe tape for example.

Most dealers won't bite your head off for being honest, but will shun you if you pester or attempt to pull a fast one.
aka DrewJW
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

It's a plan they have for their own Customers... they were going to charge me £175 for the first Service and so on and so on (I think prices get higher as they go on?)
or they have a Service Plan which is £399 for 5 Services and you then get a booklet with the 5 Vouchers in etc.

Regarding the Exhaust, they'll have to remove the Exhaust for the Service as the brake pads need inspecting, I can just say I over tightened it when I took the Tax Disc Holder off it, isn't a big issue as I can just say to leave the bolt off when they send it back and i'll sort it myself.

Regarding the Clutch parts, that is the only part I can think of being the issue, as it's whenever the Clutch is under any load, the fact they already replaced the Crankshaft for whatever the reason was, replacing that part did nothing and helped with nothing, the rattle is still getting worse when the Throttle is pulled.... i've read on many other forums about PCX owners having rattles etc and once they replaced the Clutch, the sound was gone, so i'd rather have that part replaced as it could well be the issue, if it is, then amazing!!!!!!!! if it isn't then fair enough, i'll then be looking on selling the Bike .
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Fair enough, and I hope it works out for your just telling them about the tax disc, was the bike supplied with it in that spot? mine came minus a holder full stop?

As for the clutch, honestly I am out of my depth on this one since my PCX has only a mild rattle around 30mph to 35mph, then it goes almost turbine smooth.

Be a shame if you sold your PCX JoJo. But why not consider test driving another 2014-2013 model, and trading yours for one? sure it's previous generation, but you really got on with your late PCX.
aka DrewJW
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

Bike didn't come with one, I used to have it in that position on my old Bike, but you can obviously put them wherever they can 'fit' and I usually had mine with the Exhaust bolt.

The 2013 PCX I had was better, a lot more 'smoother' sounding,
when I first had this 2014 model it was fine apart from the screen which I sorted, and it was ok for awhile, but then it just went bad from there...
the fact Thunder Road actually admitted to hearing it as well, mostly between 25-30mph (which is correct, as the wind noise isn't so bad at those speeds so you can hear the Bike more)
but the fact they admitted there was a problem, and THEN had it 5 weeks and replaced the Crankshaft and emailed saying it was fixed and running as it should,
for me to then get it back, tested it straight away, and nothing had changed, and i've heard nothing from them since, even about the scratch on it they did and the missing washer/bolt!

I'm currently waiting for Honda to get back to me, I emailed them everything, also regarding Thunder Road lying to Hunts Motorcycles,
as I asked Hunts about a replacement, and they asked Thunder Road about the Bike and Thunder Road told them it was running as it should (which was a lie)
so yeah... currently waiting for Honda to get back to me, even if I can part exchange the PCX for the MSX,
or if I can get a decent price for the PCX then i'll sell it and then purchase the MSX,
but i'm thinking of taking the LeoVince Exhaust off and getting a pipe for the MSX for it instead, and obviously using my new mirrors on the MSX etc.

So yeah, just a waiting game at the moment, for Honda, and Thunder Road to get back to me about the Service!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I think you bike needs the last rites not a second service.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

DrewJW wrote:Fair enough, and I hope it works out for your just telling them about the tax disc, was the bike supplied with it in that spot? mine came minus a holder full stop?

As for the clutch, honestly I am out of my depth on this one since my PCX has only a mild rattle around 30mph to 35mph, then it goes almost turbine smooth.

Be a shame if you sold your PCX JoJo. But why not consider test driving another 2014-2013 model, and trading yours for one? sure it's previous generation, but you really got on with your late PCX.

I don't agree. It might be time to move yourself out of this situation. It's not healthy, might be the bike, might be you.
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

Starting to get annoyed with it actually, the fact the noise wasn't there when I first had it, never had this issue with the 2013 model, when I first had this 2014 one the rattle wasn't there, it's gradually getting worse, the fact the Honda Dealers admitted to hearing it too and tried to 'fix' it so there is obviously an issue with the Bike itself, and it isn't just me hearing things lol it just seems like the Dealers can't be arsed with a Scooter, and being female they think they can just do whatever and fob it back to me, and obviously now not replying to me for the past few months! it's really annoying me the fact there is no other Honda Dealers around, Thunder Road is the nearest and even that's a quite of few miles away, and the next is Bristol (i'm in Cardiff), so i'm pretty much stuck at the moment.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

jojo87 wrote:Starting to get annoyed with it actually, the fact the noise wasn't there when I first had it, never had this issue with the 2013 model, when I first had this 2014 one the rattle wasn't there, it's gradually getting worse, the fact the Honda Dealers admitted to hearing it too and tried to 'fix' it so there is obviously an issue with the Bike itself, and it isn't just me hearing things lol it just seems like the Dealers can't be arsed with a Scooter, and being female they think they can just do whatever and fob it back to me, and obviously now not replying to me for the past few months! it's really annoying me the fact there is no other Honda Dealers around, Thunder Road is the nearest and even that's a quite of few miles away, and the next is Bristol (i'm in Cardiff), so i'm pretty much stuck at the moment.

Shift it and move on. Not ideal but better than being trapped.