Shopping for my first Scooter

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

heythorp

Shopping for my first Scooter

Post by heythorp »

Nice forum. I have been involved with some small niche sites and I know how important content and participation is. So I thought I would register and post my thoughts and finding about shopping for my first scooter.

We have been a one car family for about 4 years now. It works out fine, as I work from home and my wife works 2 miles away. Today happens to be one of the 5 or so days a year where she needs the car. Its not a big deal. I have 4 supermarkets within 2 miles of my house. I also bike all over too, so I am more than mobile enough if I need to be.

We started throwing the idea around about getting a scooter for the past couple of months. At first we were just looking at getting an electric bike. I spent about a month researching them and just couldn't justify the price. Fortunately a guy put one outside for sale a block from where I live. It was a cheapy no brand model. I took it for a ride and it was good, but the more we(my wife and I) talked about it, we wanted something that could go further. Once you want to go further, you need to go faster too.

So I started researching 50cc and quickly learned it would suffice for 95% of our needs, but if we ever wanted to double up on it or if we bought two and wanted to head up and over the Santa Cruz mountains for a ride or trip, 50cc just wasn't going to cut it. At least not for me :)

I have my MC license, but she does not. I had a Virago 250 for a couple of years. I sold it when we moved.

I talked to my wife and told her that if we go up to a 125 or higher she would need to get her MCL and she was fine with that.

I was pretty much sold on buying the Zuma 125. She liked the looks (trust me this is important). I know about the fuel pumps overheating issue on the earlier models and could live with it. The valve adjustment is easy and gas mileage was good enough.

As I continued my research I then found the new PCX150 (which lead me here, I have read every post with 4 or more responses in the general board, plus some). This seemed to be the perfect scooter for us. My wife really loved the look of the Zuma and I thought this might be the deal breaker.

So I took her to go look at scooters last weekend (unfortunately getting a test ride out here is almost impossible). She sat on both the Zuma and PCX. Once on the PCX she looked at me and asked if we could get two. Sweet!!!

That was until you find out $4400 out the door. I'm sorry but that is a lot of money to lay out for part time minimalistic transportation that we don't need. Yes you can look at it as a hobby and what some do as fun, but we have other hobbies that are expense and we have to draw the line somewhere.

So I decided to start looking for a used PCX or Zuma. I got to drive a 2009 Zuma 125 yesterday, Its a bit beat up and there is some vibration at take off. It has 1200 miles on it and the guy is asking 2350. I would probably take it home right now for 1900 so my wife can learn and we could resell after we are ready to get the PCX.

But my biggest surprise is how much people want for their used PCX125 (I understand why, but the 150 is here people) and that the dealers in my area aren't even discounting new PCX125 on their floors. I was like really, you r never going to sell it.

As we head into fall and winter in this area (rainy season) I expect to find some better deals. Whether we end up with a PCX or a Zuma, I am hoping to hang around and learn. I know of the other scooter forums, but chose this one to contribute to.

Sorry for puking up some random thoughts on the process.
My other Ride:
It was annoying me, it must have been annoying others.
heythorp

Re: Shopping for my first Scooter

Post by heythorp »

Things to consider when buying a scooter.
No order to importance.
Please feel free to add your own.

Price:
What is your budget? Stick to it!
don't forget to add in other costs.
Costs:
Tax
Tags
Reoccurring registration
Insurance

*what type of roads will you be on (highways, city, country)
*Culture (How do cagers react to 2 wheel vehicles)

Range:
*How far are you going to driver per year.
*How far are you going to drive per day.
*Gas mileage

Aesthetics:
*Don't worry what some forum, person, club thinks. If you like it that's all that matters.

Features:
*Fuel injection/Carb
*Kickstarter
*Center stand/ kickstand
*Hook
*Cargo Space
*Additional Cargo space
*Accessory Availability
*Mods Availability

Modifications:
Looking to modify your scooter?
If yes, your choice will be important

Maintenance:
* Get a scooter that you are comfortable with doing the maintenance. It just seems so sill to pay for services for a small simple machine. I know all are not mechanically inclined, so the scooter with longer maintenance schedules is important to save those money.
(This valve job for the PCX150 is crazy if you ask me. I can't imagine doing it this often, especially for how long it takes.)
My other Ride:
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

The Zooma looks very cool in my opinion but I wouldn't buy one because they are so impractical - shopping etc. Get a top box fitted on the PCX and you can do some mild touring, add some panniers and go round the World. http://www.andrewcharnley.com

With rain coming your way in the near future you may want to try the pcx again and see how wet your butt gets! In rain it can turn into a two wheeled bidet.

I'm surprised the price of the 125 hasn't dropped - I agree with you that with the 150cc out, the 125 would be pretty much unsaleable. As the winter arrives you might find a better used deal on a 125.

I wouldn't worry too much about the valves, in 14,000 miles I've checked mine 5 or 6 times and they have never needed any adjustment.
heythorp

Post by heythorp »

Thanks edscoot

I have already read andrew's site. I am sure I got linked to it from this forum.
Thanks for the heads up on the water issues.

How is the Zuma impractical for shopping? As far as additional cargo space, top boxes and panniers are available for it. Plus its a complete pass through design. What have I missed ?

The biggest thing to me is air cooled/water cooled.

Thanks for the help.
My other Ride:
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

A bag of shopping would surely spill?

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

I thought a Zuma was a Neil Young album :lol: (showing my age again)
If money is a concern you could do a lot worse than have a look at a Sym Fiddle or HD 200 Evo.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Edscoot -- that's a Ruckus, which is a Honda, not a Yamaha! This is a Zuma:
2008-Yamaha-Zumaf.jpg
2008-Yamaha-Zumaf.jpg (41.57 KiB) Viewed 4067 times

gn2 - I really dislike the Fiddle. My father in law owned one, and it was nothing but trouble. The drivetrain is really cheap, and clatters like mad during acceleration.

What about a Genuine Buddy 125? We've bought one for under $1000 (it was trashed though) and two that had under 1000 miles for under $1500 each.

CA is tough for buying scooters, there's a lot more markup out there than out here on the East Coast.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Oh, and heythorp, welcome to the forums! :D
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

Winter is coming and I'm sure even in northern California, bike sales slow down. The Dealer will be forced to discount any leftover PCX125's and eliminate all of the profit fees. My dealer got stuck with a 125 and is still holding out for $3100 plus tax and tags but I would hope that would drop some more rather than store it all winter. They said that their "invoice" on the bike shows a cost of $3118. I rode their 125 and bought a 150 and the bigger engine is much faster. No one that knows is ever going to pay sticker plus a bump for a 125 in the USA again.
uploader
Regular User
Regular User

Post by uploader »

How about the Daelim b bone 125 great for shopping

heythorp

Post by heythorp »

maddiedog wrote:Oh, and heythorp, welcome to the forums! :D

Thanks Maddiedog, I showed my wife ur pics she loved them. We have been talking about a side car for the dog :)
Question about the board. Seems like you can't edit a previous post. I wanted to add something to my list. Is this feature turned off on purpose. It does allow you to edit the your most recent post.

Sendler2112, how big of a difference is their between the pcx 125/150?

I am trying to set up a test drive with a dealer, but a week has past without them call me.

We are in no hurry to buy anything so we can wait to see what the market will produce this winter.
My other Ride:
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Big difference in top speed of 59 mph vs 67 mph which is just fast enough for a few exit blast on the expressway. Top speed droops with belt wear. Hill climbing is better on the 150 also where I have yet to find any place that I can't maintain 55 mph and it is very hilly here. The 125 was doing 48 mph.
If you plan on financing, Honda has 0 down, 1.99% for 36 months and this would apply to a leftover 125 as well which would be real attractive at $2800 plus tax and tags. For $3100, I would rather spend the extra $350 and buy the 150 so I left the white 125 sitting there.
I don't think any of the other big tire scooters such as the Zuma can hit 60 mph can they?
If you are paying cash and don't care about the cutting edge fuel economy of the PCX, a used Honda Reflex250 would be a great deal. There is one in my Craigs list $1800. Fuel injection is worth the other $1000 for a new bike to me. Carbs are often times quite cold blooded in bad weather.
uploader
Regular User
Regular User

Post by uploader »

sendler2112 wrote: .
I don't think any of the other big tire scooters such as the Zuma can hit 60 mph can they?

The Daelim b bone hits 60, Had 62 out of my mates GPS reading
rainburg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by rainburg »

I think they may be much more willing to bargain in a few months, and if you aren't in a hurry then the odds are very much in your favor. I bought our Burgman in October, and I was able to knock the list price down a few hundred dollars and eliminate all the crazy destination etc. fees. I was simply honest with them and said I could buy it that day or wait until Spring and it didn't much matter to me. I wasn't so lucky with our PCX which I purchased in late August 2011. With the new PCX150 out, I agree that the PCX125s at the dealers will be discounted and used ones should start showing up more frequently too. Just might take a few weeks or months.

We really enjoy our PCX and it is the most in demand scooter at our house, but I wouldn't recommend it if you plan on riding two up much, or if you need to go 60mph. Always nice to have a little power in reserve.

Keep us posted, and good luck with your search!
2011 Honda PCX, 2007 Suzuki Burgman 400
2 Honda Civics, 5 bicycles and 1 more on order
heythorp

Post by heythorp »

Thanks for all of the feedback.

I have pretty much narrowed it down to the Zuma or PCX.
I researched other brands and for many reasons I narrowed it down to these.
Mostly because of track record. I am not brand myopic, but I know their generator lines well and I believe in their small engine capabilities.

I believe we will see "deals" in the coming months. However, honda's 1.99% ends at the end of this month.

I am really set on the PCX150, but if I can get a Zuma or PCX 125 for a really good deal, I will jump on it, especially a used one.

I don't see us doubling up much except for local trips to a store. No long distance journeys.

I would love to do a Yosemite run on one, but not sure even I want to do that ( i know my wife will not). I could see us exploring some and headed to Santa Cruz the fun way more often.

Someone asked about top speed of the Zuma. Its regulated at 62 and it looks like the PCX 125 is 59. With a variator and changing rollers you can get 67 out of the Zuma.

Thanks for the advice.
My other Ride:
heythorp

Post by heythorp »

I should add for others looking.

I am 5' 10" and weigh 165.

I felt a little cramped riding the Zuma. It might just be adjusting my body a bit, but where I felt comfortable on the seat.

I did not have this feeling on the PCX, however, I did not have it on the Zuma until I actually road it.

Just some more data for anyone reading.

Really wish I could edit prior posts to add info to instead of adding another post. And to correct typos. ;)
My other Ride:
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

The Kymco Super8 150 might be worth a try at $2600. Faster than a PCX? but bodywork not as nice. The PCX has just enough foot room for a slight cruiser position.
jasontheparamedic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jasontheparamedic »

How about a gently used PCX 125? The recent 150's coming out a couple months ago with MSRP barely higher than the 125 caused a drop in value to those with existing 125s.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

heythorp, glad you joined the forum, welcome. You've been asking about editing your posts, that is a good question. I'm trying to remember if I once asked that myself :roll: I don't know the answer.
Somebody in PCXforumland know whether we can edit our posts or not? Dave...can we? If not...why not?
I like the idea myself ;)
To Zuma or not to Zuma...that is the question heh? I considered one as well, but Honda dealers are more accessible where I live and "it's got the look" for me. You can see I have a White PCX making it a 125 here in the states. No whites here for 2013...bummer, only black and red.
Good luck taking the test ride on the PCX...bring a helmet, pen and moola ($$$) :D Love mine!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Okay, wait a minute...editing just worked for me on another post (on another thread). Perhaps it is the same ruling as posting pictures: you have to have at least 15 posts on the forum before attaching photo's...could be same with editing :) So post-type away heythorp, you're almost there ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You