Hello, new member.

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

scisor34
Regular User
Regular User

Hello, new member.

Post by scisor34 »

Hello everyone. I've been reading these forums for a while now and finally decided to join. I actually work at a dealership that sells the PCX and am probably going to finally pull the trigger and purchase a PCX. I had a Honda Spree that I traded my KX80 in on back in the late '80s when I turned 15, and have had a soft spot for scooters ever since. I lived in Minnesota the first 38yrs of my life so the riding season was very limited, now that I've lived in Florida the past year and a half, I've been getting the itch to get another scooter. I have about a 20mi commute to work each day and the PCX150 seems like the perfect little scoot for this. I've only been in motorcycle sales for a couple months now, but if anyone has any questions I'll be glad to help if I can. We don't get much info from the manufacturer that isn't available to the general public, so I've learned a lot on this forum. I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions and comments in the future, so I just wanted to introduce myself.
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Hello, new member.

Post by edscoot »

Welcome :)

You should have a great ride to and from work in all that lovely Florida sunshine.
scisor34
Regular User
Regular User

Post by scisor34 »

Thank you, and I agree. It makes so much sense to buy this scooter. I've ridden 2 that I've sold but just for a short distance. I've read most of the posts here but am a little confused if there is a rear box that fits the PCX150 without any mods such as drilling in the U.S. My parts department can't seem to find one, but some help from a U.S. PCX150 owner would be greatly appreciated.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Welcome to the forums!

By rear box, do you mean a topcase? The universal topcase mount that both Honda and Givi make for the PCX 125 also fits flawlessly on the PCX 150, and is compatible with almost all topcases. The Givi E321 is what you want: http://www.giviusa.com/My-motorcycle/?m ... mo=PCX-125. It should fit any Givi Monokey topcase, or most other generic topcases. No matter what topcase mount you get, you are REQUIRED to drill 4 holes in the rear wing. This is standard procedure on every larger Honda scooter I've owned (Reflex, Silverwing, PC800, and PCX).

A 20-mile commute in Florida is ideal for a scooter. You guys have hardly any topography, so unless you have to hit any big interstates, the PCX 150 should have enough power to take you almost anywhere.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
scisor34
Regular User
Regular User

Post by scisor34 »

Thanks Maddiedog, yes that's what I was talking about. I agree the PCX should be a good fit here in Florida, the only hills I've seen since I moved here are when I'm getting on or off a bridge. Lol. I pulled the trigger and bought a red PCX150 today. I won't be taking it home till tomorrow though, it wasn't on the showroom floor yet, and we couldn't find the crate it was in until the end of the day today. For a couple hours my sales manager thought it might have been stolen. (It's a very large dealership with a crazy amount of inventory.) Anyway, I got it for a good price and look forward to my ride home tomorrow from work.
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

drilling for the givi rack mount seems like a big deal until you do it. it is no biggie. i did it myself and i am crap at stuff like that. this mod makes the bike a much better commuter!
mjherrick66
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by mjherrick66 »

How much did you end up paying for it? Out the door total?
scisor34
Regular User
Regular User

Post by scisor34 »

I bought 5yr extended warranty for $350 non negotionable in this state, and the State charges $175 for a new tag. Keep in mind I work for the dealership I bought it from. From what I've seen the "general public" is not going to get this same deal, just trying to be honest with my fellow PCX riders. I'm going to be mad at work if someone posts their bill of sale that blows mine out of the water. haha.
scisor34
Regular User
Regular User

Post by scisor34 »

I can't seem to get the pic of my bill of sale to upload. I'll try again.
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

when i worked at a car dealership, the "employee purchase plan" was a lot higher than what most customers managed to negotiate. it was a very competitive pricing dealership though.
scisor34
Regular User
Regular User

Post by scisor34 »

Ok, I can't seem to get the pic to upload so I'll type it out.

3,139.00 Price
3.50 State tire & battery fee
350.00 Extended Warranty
175.00 State Registration fee

3,667.50 Sub-total
220.05 State sales tax

3,887.55 Grand total OTD (Out the Door)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

How long is the standard warranty in the US...?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
rainburg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by rainburg »

Just 1 year. Pretty weak warranty.
2011 Honda PCX, 2007 Suzuki Burgman 400
2 Honda Civics, 5 bicycles and 1 more on order
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Nice, Scisor, I paid about that much without the warranty...
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

rainburg wrote:Just 1 year. Pretty weak warranty.
If you do enough riding any manufacturing defects should show up in year 1, so if it were me I would say no thanks to the extended option.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
jasontheparamedic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jasontheparamedic »

I've learned my lesson about the extended warranty. For Honda and the dealership an extended warranty purchase is like free money to them. I ride my PCX 125 rather harshly due to many highways here in Tampa. So far the only problem I had was the ignition switch issue and that certainly wasn't $350 worth of labor. I am going to cancel my extended warranty next week, but I probably won't be able to get my full purchase price back. I'm still under factory warranty for another 3 months.
DixiePaddler

Post by DixiePaddler »

The dealership definitely makes some coin on HondaCare - they were giving me a "deal" at $598 for 5 years (NJ), and the dude's main supporting statement was that it's transferable. As in, the $800 value of the warranty would be taken into consideration if I traded in the scoot for a new or different model.

I. Think. Not.
jasontheparamedic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jasontheparamedic »

Transferable to make the scooter more valuable. A bullshit line I will never fall for again.