My 2013 Honda PCX build log

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

MKE PCX
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Black

My 2013 Honda PCX build log

Post by MKE PCX »

Well, build may not be the best description but I will be logging the mods to my 2013 PCX 150 here.

Parts will be installed as soon as the weather cooperates. Pics and product reviews will follow shortly thereafter. I've got a dB meter and will be doing a comparison between the stock exhaust and the Malossi, both with and without baffle. It frustrates me that this information wasn't available prior to ordering.

What I have on hand, awaiting install are the following parts:
NCY Super Transmission Kit
NCY Front Forks
YSS Z-Series Shocks
Malossi Exhaust
BMC Air Filter
Trail Tech Tach
Puig V-Tech Touring Screen

I've also got a marine-grade 12v outlet I'll be installing. Can't decide if I want it in the battery box or glove compartment.

All of these installs have been covered before, but if anyone would like a how-to, I can create one as I go.

Why am I doing all of these mods? Simply put, I can't leave anything with wheels alone.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: My 2013 Honda PCX build log

Post by you you »

MKE PCX wrote:Well, build may not be the best description but I will be logging the mods to my 2013 PCX 150 here.

Parts will be installed as soon as the weather cooperates. Pics and product reviews will follow shortly thereafter. I've got a dB meter and will be doing a comparison between the stock exhaust and the Malossi, both with and without baffle. It frustrates me that this information wasn't available prior to ordering.

What I have on hand, awaiting install are the following parts:
NCY Super Transmission Kit
NCY Front Forks
YSS Z-Series Shocks
Malossi Exhaust
BMC Air Filter
Trail Tech Tach

I've also got a marine-grade 12v outlet I'll be installing. Can't decide if I want it in the battery box or glove compartment.

All of these installs have been covered before, but if anyone would like a how-to, I can create one as I go.

Why am I doing all of these mods? Simply put, I can't leave anything with wheels alone.
A how to would be great thanks
MKE PCX
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MKE PCX »

MKE PCX
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MKE PCX »

Finally got around to installing my pile of parts onto the PCX today. It took all day, mainly because I had to fabricate a new clutch holder after the one I had broke. I'll get some pics up tomorrow. It was too dark by the time I finished.

Parts installed were:
NCY Super Transmission Kit (minus the clutch, bell and spring)
NCY Front Forks
YSS Z-Series Shocks
Malossi Exhaust
BMC Air Filter

Initial impressions:

The BMC filter and Malossi combination sound good, but my butt dyno says they did nothing for performance. Maybe they'll allow the bike to reach an extra mile or two per hour at the top end. The bike is now loud enough to be heard without being obnoxiously loud. I have no plans to remove the dB killer that came installed. Considering I got the Malossi for the same price as an OEM exhaust and I needed a replacement anyway, I have no regrets.

YSS Z-Series Shocks are a nice upgrade over the factory setup. The damping is improved and the stiffer spring rate helps hold up my 200 pound weight. I no longer have to brace myself on bumpy roads.

NCY Front Forks - Much stiffer than the factory forks. Front end dive is a thing of the past with these installed. They also seem to be better at handling bumps than the OEM stuff. No regrets, other than the cost.

PUIG V-Tech Touring Screen - I like the look, especially with the PUIG stickers removed and an OEM Honda logo affixed. Hoping it helps me eek out an extra MPH on the highway. If not, no biggie as it's just tall enough to keep wind off of my handlebar mounted cup holder with a beverage in it.

NCY Super Transmission Kit (minus clutch, bell and spring) - I left out the clutch components based on what I read here. I was looking for a higher top speed, not quicker acceleration. Install was difficult because I didn't have the spring compressor so I had to improvise to get the stock clutch installed on the NCY driven pulley. I was determined to install everything with a torque wrench and not resort to using an impact. I'm happy to say I succeeded though I dread the day I need to replace the belt, what a pain. The best part about the kit, for me anyway, is that my PCX suffered from the bad bearing in the driven face which has now been replaced. No more rattling! I'll get it on the highway tomorrow to see what my new top speed is.

My only future plans for the PCX are to get a top box once Honda releases the updated mounts and possibly install the Cortech Super 2 saddlebags I've got sitting in the closet.

Thanks for reading, I realize this was a long post.