Place Seems Dead

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

tuanies
Regular User
Regular User

Place Seems Dead

Post by tuanies »

So it seems like the PCX forums in general are quite dead.

What's everyone been up to? I've ridden the PCX all two times this summer since I picked up the Miata in March, and subsequently sold it two weeks ago.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Place Seems Dead

Post by you you »

tuanies wrote:So it seems like the PCX forums in general are quite dead.

What's everyone been up to? I've ridden the PCX all two times this summer since I picked up the Miata in March, and subsequently sold it two weeks ago.

Doesn't seem that dead to me
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

I rode my PCX twice today, once to work and once home from work and a fuel stop en route.
Total distance around 60 miles.
New City Grip rear combines surprisingly well with 11,700 mile original front.
I'm not selling mine for at least a year, maybe more.
I want a bigger engine scoot, but do I really need one?
Probably not.
The PCX is far and away the most practical two wheeler I have ever owned.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

gn2 wrote:I rode my PCX twice today, once to work and once home from work and a fuel stop en route.
Probably not.
I think exactly the same way.

I ride mine almost every day. The day I don't, I miss it. Sometimes I ride her to and from work, but I have a nice parking lot at work and I usually carry stuff to and from work, so the PCX is seldom used for that. I do ride her from my place to the gym and back, or from my place to my mum's when I go to visit her, or to my girlfriend's parents place, or shopping, or whatever. Urban commuting wasn't ever so cheap. Cheaper than public transport, in fact.

And the place doesn't seem that dead to me. Whenever I have a question, there's always someone willing to help out.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:I rode my PCX twice today, once to work and once home from work and a fuel stop en route.
Probably not.

I agree. The past week I've been pottering at 50 or doing 60 to 70 on when I've been in a hurry. Perfect bike really, could have picked something else to go to work on but really enjoyed watching the world go by. It's like riding a pedal bike powered by a giant elastic band

If I changed it for anything it would mean compromising something
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Ive been on vacation for a week, scuba diving and sailing in the great barrier reef here. I missed my PCX so much so happy to do my commute in this morning (with new mirrors installed) especially as 2 more days of school holidays so traffic was lite.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

nah, Not dead. Where have you been? Lots of chit chat and the such going on with pics as well....and of course some bickering and banter = some fun ;) :D So, join in and rattle the not-so-dead forum :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
tuanies
Regular User
Regular User

Post by tuanies »

I guess I'm used to forums moving along faster :p.

Seems like there's no advancements on the performance front for the PCX :(
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Want more performance from a PCX?
Trade it in for a bigger scooter.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

tuanies wrote:So it seems like the PCX forums in general are quite dead.
Agreed. There are about 40 members here and at clubPCX of the same people. I would have thought more since there are 250 PCX accounts on Fuelly. The CBR250R forum normally has over 1,000 viewing. ADVRider has 200-400 POSTS! per DAY!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Quality before quantity ;)
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Yeah, it's odd that there are so few people posting in general. The forum had a spike in activity for awhile, but things have steadied out a bit.

Addressing the lack of performance parts, I think a lot of the performance part import market for the PCX was SQUASHED by ClubPCX demanding payment for vendors to post on their site. Garasi Matic was lucky, his thread in Vendors just got locked, but I saw at least 3 other vendors from Thailand or Japan whose threads were outright deleted for not paying for posting. I encourage any vendor to post here, but I think the damage is done... We came around 9 months after ClubPCX, I think any Thai vendor looking into getting in the US market had tried and left by the time this site was made.

Taking the performance issue further, it doesn't help that the PCX is an economy vehicle. It's not a performance monster. Most people on this forum agree that if you need more power, get a bigger scooter. It's great for economy, and not much else. Modding it doesn't make too much sense, so I wouldn't expect much in terms of performance ever from the PCX (especially since the 150 came and replaced the 125). We've seen a lot of members sell and get NC700s. It seems the PCX is a gateway drug, leading to bigger and faster bikes. :lol:

Since ClubPCX was mentioned, here's some interesting statistics about here VS ClubPCX...

* Overall Posts: We have almost 8500 posts, 1300 of them mine. ClubPCX has roughly twice that (15100), with 1100 of them mine. I haven't posted in 10 months there, since I was banned for making this forum / calling them out on bait-and-switch tactics.

* Posts / user (average): We have about 27 posts per user, whereas ClubPCX has about 14 per user. This means our users are more interactive, which is a good thing. ClubPCX's member count is roughly 3 times our user count!

* Posts / day (average): We are 10 months old, with about 28 posts / day. ClubPCX is 19 months old, with about 26.5 posts / day.

* We are the #1 search result in Google, Bing, and Yahoo for "honda pcx forum." This was done through you guys. Without such good posting and content, we wouldn't be here. ClubPCX is ranking 2, 2, and 14 for Google, Bing, and Yahoo, respectively, for the same search. It should be noted that CorSport paid for Google to promote their site to #1 for awhile after this site was launched. Clearly that campaign was not a success.

* Our peak post / day count was roughly 60 posts / day for awhile. I don't have access to ClubPCX's statistics, but I'd estimate their peak was similar (when I was regularly contributing).

* It's very hard to determine user-based statistics, but I'd estimate that roughly 30% of active users traverse both sites. Probably around 10% of users on the ClubPCX site are spammers. We have 0%, which I am VERY proud of. Both sites have a reasonable percentage of non-posting users as well.

I think GN2 nailed it -- quality before quantity. There's a lot of good info here, scattered amongst random bantering. Things might be calm because of the season or other factors, but it'll pick back up. :D
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

maddiedog wrote: .....I think GN2 nailed it -- quality before quantity. There's a lot of good info here, scattered amongst random bantering....
Maddiedog, This is a great forum that you should be proud of and you are doing a fantastic job for the PCX community. Performance mods are not the top of most peoples lists with this bike. It's a commuter & fun city bike - something Honda did really well on this scooter. I'm doing 70km a day to and from work and love it. Not to say that mine is staying stock much longer - mods are going on this weekend.

I'm a lurker, but always look in every day to see what is new. Keep up the great work.
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Half the posts in the other forum seem to be spams, especially for kitchen units. As it happens we are getting our kitchen renovated next week but not because of those spams. The PCX is still a fantastic commuter bike and performance is fine for that purpose.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

gn2 wrote:Quality before quantity ;)
I wish. My thread was started with good intentions but then completely compromised with noise so I don't even bother posting in it anymore.
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

life would be dull without the banter and sledging or is that maybe a Brit and Ozzie thing?
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

I think it's a Brit and Ozzie thing. Just like you weirdos like to queue all the time. ;)

I was raised by Brits, so I've got a bit of that quirkiness. Many Americans don't understand it.

Sendler, don't get discouraged. There's still good info in that thread. :D
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
mad trapper
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mad trapper »

Put up a scooter babes pic section, that will boost activity. Or is that too noisy?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Run a mr pcx and a mrs pcx competition

Send in the photos and we pull them all together and vote on them for Xmas

More seriously you could have

Best bike
Best mod
Best poster

Etc etc
mad trapper
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mad trapper »

Think the scantily clad women on scooters would be more interesting.