Fun idea im gonna do with my pcx

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

happyscooter
Regular User
Regular User

Fun idea im gonna do with my pcx

Post by happyscooter »

So i was watching a youtube video of a guy who lives in his van and what he does is travel in it to different places and pulls out his metal detector at old sports fields and places like that and hunts for old coins and other metal valuables. He says he funds himself just by doing this and his van has all the stuff he needs to live like that. Im not gonna go that extreme and "live" like that but im gonna get me a metal detector and find a way to strap it to the pcx and go looking for cool places to search for hidden treasure. The pcx seems like the perfect vehicle to do something like that, you can get into narow places, hidden away places. I think it will be a blast. Im wanting some fun hobbies aventuring. all ive been doing for years was video games so im brainstorming alot :D

So far on my list is to visit cool landmarks here in nashville and beyond, old civil war battlefields and other places of interest. Being on 2 wheels is so fun you are more part of nature/real life/ the environment. Wouldnt you agree?

In any case what are some fun things or places you have been because of your pcx?

heres the vid of van guy that i watched lol i think its this one he has a few good videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnjO2Z2f2_8
mad trapper
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Fun idea im gonna do with my pcx

Post by mad trapper »

Isnt he a survivalist waiting for the end of the world? Living on your pcx wont be zombie proof.
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

If I lived where you do I would be riding/camping in the Smokey Mts. Ive spent a few days there staying in shared cabins and doing short hikes. Also did white water rafting at a couple of spots near there. I imagine fishing would be great there too if they allow it in the Park? There are black bears you see when hiking but they seem to keep their distance and are well mannered compared to grizzlys!
happyscooter
Regular User
Regular User

Post by happyscooter »

Yeah the smoky mountains is chock full of bears. you wouldnt catch me hiking or even camping out there. Ide get freaked out at night in the quiet and start hearing twigs snap....yikes thats what nightmares are made of. Reading maddiedogs post about taking his little dog with him and waking up to a bear nearby....thats one brave dude. Bears just have the potential to kill you, their strength is terrifying...also, watching that documentary on the guy who lived with bears and eventually got killed and eaten by one might have scarred me for life haha. Even tho they say black bears wont attack you it really all depends on the attitude of the bear and how scarce their food supply is....given that rainfall has been lacking this year ide say its very dangerous to be out amongst a huge population of black bears.
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

I saw quite a few black bears but was never scared about them. Was scared by the redneck with a gun who I woke up when I went into one of the park cabins late at night to have a sleep. He thought I was a bear breaking in! People can be more scary than animals...
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

happyscooter wrote:Yeah the smoky mountains is chock full of bears.
So is Brighton.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
rich666
Regular User
Regular User

Post by rich666 »

So is Brighton.
Now come on GN, be nice to our "happy" brethren. :) pmsl.
it tastes like...Eagle!
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

I think the metal detector idea sounds like lots of fun. There are Civil War battlefields around here too, my uncle has found cannonballs, bullets, and even a bayonet. Make sure to take some pics and post in the Gallery if you find anything. :D
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

I have American friends who live in bear country that have told me about "bear spray" being quite effective to keep them at bay. Bad news is that it looks like you use that stuff when the critter is already closing on you, so whenever they wander around in the woods, they carry some other stuff, chambered in .357 Magnum.
happyscooter
Regular User
Regular User

Post by happyscooter »

maddiedog wrote:I think the metal detector idea sounds like lots of fun. There are Civil War battlefields around here too, my uncle has found cannonballs, bullets, and even a bayonet. Make sure to take some pics and post in the Gallery if you find anything. :D

yep will do . Will be a few paychecks from now. Going to get a nice metal detector. no cheap junk
happyscooter
Regular User
Regular User

Post by happyscooter »

well guys i got me a decent metal detector now a bounty hunter discovery 1100 and tested it out it my yard, within moments i found a nail a few inches deep lol. i then attached it to the pcx and am about to go on my first treasure hunt today. Think ill trek down by the cumberland river along the edges see what i find.
Attachments
metal detect2.jpg
metal detect2.jpg (718.17 KiB) Viewed 1713 times
metal detect1.jpg
metal detect1.jpg (1.13 MiB) Viewed 1713 times
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Wow, that's quite the metal detector! :lol:

I'm surprised it didn't get bounced off, it looks like it's sitting right over the drivetrain, which is on the swingarm and compresses over bumps (potentially sending the detector flying with where it's strapped now).

Did you find anything? :D
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes