Just rollers vs complete variator

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

nicuts
Year: 2013
Color: White

Re: Just rollers vs complete variator

Post by nicuts »

Tx Gav

where did you get your DR Pulley's from ? budget is key and that's why I am greatfull for are the guys willing to share experience, save you time and money

What did interest me about your this post and your opening statement was something I also considered when I looked at how everything fist together

your question
assume aftermarket have a different profile to let the belt ride higher for slightly more speed. Does this require a longer belt?
Can't this be achieved by grinding 1mm off the variator boss with the stock variator? Or will the stock belt be too short for this

theoretically it should work and sounds like an option, but I don't see that anyone responded to that point .
Then , I am a newbie on CVT's and everything looks so simple and easy at this stage.

tx nico
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Hi Nico,

I bought my Dr Pulley sliders locally, as it was just a little more expensive that way than having them sent from Taiwan.

A lot of my questions go unanswered here. I won't go into that, but know that it does frustrate me to no end...
Basically I have read something along the lines of reducing the length of the boss forces the pulley to ride higher.
Sorry I don't know much more than that, and I have to admit I'm not that adventurous to go grinding parts in any case.
I was asking more so I had an understanding of how the mechanics of it all works. Are shorter bosses available?

Cheers, Gav.
nicuts

Post by nicuts »

Does the Dr Pulley SLiders last as long as the OEM ones, based on their shape, I would expect that they will only worn on one side

tx nico
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

I have no idea sorry. For the cost of them, and how simple they are to install, it's not a really a concern to me.
Since the belt and clutch are perishable items, you could change them out with one of those on a schedule if you wanted.
There are probably YouTube videos showing wear on Dr Pulley sliders after X amount of miles.

Cheers, Gav.
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by k2apache6.0 »

chicaboo wrote:Hi gang,

I installed the sliders today. The scooter now has crisp acceleration up to 80kph, and not too bad beyond that, and pretty good on the hills too.
I managed to get up to 110kph, but it was VERY windy and I didn't feel comfortable over 90kph, so I didn't try very hard to find my top speed.
I reset the battery before my ride, so hopefully that helped the ECU adapt to the exhaust and sliders quicker.

After all is said and done, I had a very enjoyable ride today and the scooter felt really good and more than just adequate.
Gav.

That's good! And 110kph isn't half bad either, and just changing the stock rollers for Dr Pulley sliders at that, looks like a worthwhile low cost performance increase.
My PCX mod build here..
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7113
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

k2apache6.0 wrote:
chicaboo wrote:Hi gang,

I installed the sliders today. The scooter now has crisp acceleration up to 80kph, and not too bad beyond that, and pretty good on the hills too.
I managed to get up to 110kph, but it was VERY windy and I didn't feel comfortable over 90kph, so I didn't try very hard to find my top speed.
I reset the battery before my ride, so hopefully that helped the ECU adapt to the exhaust and sliders quicker.

After all is said and done, I had a very enjoyable ride today and the scooter felt really good and more than just adequate.
Gav.

That's good! And 110kph isn't half bad either, and just changing the stock rollers for Dr Pulley sliders at that, looks like a worthwhile low cost performance increase.
The next day I managed 115kph on a slightly less windy day. It feels like the scooter would've made it to 120kph in ideal conditions or tucking.
I'm very impressed by the improvement given my weight. I'm really looking forward to the next batch of power mods.
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by k2apache6.0 »

The next day I managed 115kph on a slightly less windy day. It feels like the scooter would've made it to 120kph in ideal conditions or tucking.
I'm very impressed by the improvement given my weight. I'm really looking forward to the next batch of power mods.[/quote]

Awesome, I'd be happy at that, I'll be trying this myself. Any downsides, abruptness, less smoothness on the throttle or anything?
On a different track, whats the diameter of the G Euro shock springs, they look quite a bit larger than the stockers and I wanna see if they'd fit with a wider tire mod I have in mind. Thanks in advance Chickaboo
My PCX mod build here..
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Not a single downside as of yet, but I've only been on two rides since putting them in. I only get to ride on weekends...

The G-Euro are offset and there is heaps of room. You will run into the airbox and hugger long before these shocks.
At a guess there is maybe an extra 10mm of space on each side? I could measure it on the weekend if you like.

Gav.
BPT7594
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Black

Post by BPT7594 »

chicaboo wrote:Hi Nico,

I bought my Dr Pulley sliders locally, as it was just a little more expensive that way than having them sent from Taiwan.

A lot of my questions go unanswered here. I won't go into that, but know that it does frustrate me to no end...
Basically I have read something along the lines of reducing the length of the boss forces the pulley to ride higher.
Sorry I don't know much more than that, and I have to admit I'm not that adventurous to go grinding parts in any case.
I was asking more so I had an understanding of how the mechanics of it all works. Are shorter bosses available?

Cheers, Gav.
You should not shorten the pulley boss if you have a stock engine. Since doing that will make the belt start at a higher position, if you can imagine.
A higher belt position means higher gear. Since the front pulley is making a bigger circle.
If you do want to experiment, I suggest ordering a pulley boss from honda. Or a lot of them. Stock boss is 47.5mm in length. You'd want to shorten them in 0.5mm increments. If you have the Dr.Pulley sliders, which makes the belt travel lower at start anyway, I suggest trying a 47mm boss.
The effect of cutting the pulley boss is noticeable when you first open the throttle, the engine responds much more quickly. But 47mm is the lowest you should go. You'd also find that if your engine is being too aggressive, cutting the boss will make it a bit more docile.
Cheers.
outlander
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015

Post by outlander »

If I was to get a variator and complete setup which one should I get. I'd like to be able to hit 75mph. But sustain speed at 70mph.
nicuts

Post by nicuts »

After numerous hours and days surfing the Web , I have to sadly say that DR Pulley Sliders is not going to happen for me. Cost of sliders and shipping works out to be 4 times the cost of OEM rollers. First option was the NCY drive face and Dr Pulleys. So my 2nd option of Malossi multivar kit will now have to do.

Nico
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by k2apache6.0 »

nicuts wrote:After numerous hours and days surfing the Web , I have to sadly say that DR Pulley Sliders is not going to happen for me. Cost of sliders and shipping works out to be 4 times the cost of OEM rollers. First option was the NCY drive face and Dr Pulleys. So my 2nd option of Malossi multivar kit will now have to do.

Nico
Get em on ebay, there's a couple of US sellers, full set including shipping around $30.00
My PCX mod build here..
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

Yeah, i got complete dr pulley sliders for 30

https://scooterpartsco.com/dr-pulley?ze ... 2e4343b525
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
outlander
Regular User
Regular User

Post by outlander »

Is it the 16x13 I need for 13g?
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

My Dr Pulley sliders are 20x15mm, part number SR2015 11g. Same as the GY6 engine uses.
I'm now of the opinion 13g are too heavy. 11g are great for me, maybe 10g are perfect, I don't know?

Gav.
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by k2apache6.0 »

chicaboo wrote:My Dr Pulley sliders are 20x15mm, part number SR2015 11g. Same as the GY6 engine uses.
I'm now of the opinion 13g are too heavy. 11g are great for me, maybe 10g are perfect, I don't know?

Gav.
I Just ordered mine, and went with 12g sliders. Sendler stated, if my memory serves me right, the idea is to pull 8000rpm or so. Without getting into the technicalities, He later stated after some belt wear he was still getting around 7,800rpm's, therefore 11- 12g maybe optimum. Can't remember which thread it was, but it sounded good enough for me.
My PCX mod build here..
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Yep, I was a little too scared to go all the way down to 10g, and 12g seemed to be just under that magical 8000rpm figure, so I took a chance on the 11g sliders. But some people have reported great success with 10g rollers, but I've not read of anyone using 10g sliders.
outlander
Regular User
Regular User

Post by outlander »

Ok so which are the 12g. Why don't they list them as 12g and keep it simple.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

outlander wrote:Ok so which are the 12g. Why don't they list them as 12g and keep it simple.
What do you mean? You order the weight of your choosing in either rollers or sliders. I went with 11g, and Apache went with 12g, just take a punt...
The official size for our scoots is 20x15mm, but Yuminashi sell 18x15mm rollers as an alternative, and someone said Mallossi are a different size too.
The stock weight is said to be 15g in the LED, and as much as 18g in the OWL? It seems anything between 10-13g will work with a degree of success.

Gav.
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by k2apache6.0 »

chicaboo wrote:Yep, I was a little too scared to go all the way down to 10g, and 12g seemed to be just under that magical 8000rpm figure, so I took a chance on the 11g sliders. But some people have reported great success with 10g rollers, but I've not read of anyone using 10g sliders.
I found the thread and after reading some more into it you may have nailed it with 11g. Also found a post mentioning a German magazine who used 13g sliders with good results, so 11-13g as you stated all work well but to pull max rpm's the 11g might be the best bet. I was a little trepidous of abrupt throttle action at low rpm's or increased (severe) engine braking with light sliders but no one seems to mention it.
My PCX mod build here..